Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Chrono

bosoxfan21

I will be shooting in my forst match next month that requires a Chrono. I am shooting 180 gr .40 Cal Freedom Munitions rds out of a Glock 35. My question is this: Is it safe to "assume" that the specs from the ammo maker are accurate or should I Chrono them prior to the match? I don't have ready access to a Chrono so I was just going to chance it but started to get a little nervous. Has anyone had any issues with FM ammo making Major PF?

i don't think it's safe to assume anything, however.... the worst that can happen is you can go minor and not score quite as well. What would you do if you had access to a chrono and found out the ammo didn't quite make it?

Is it safe to "assume" that the specs from the ammo maker are accurate?

The velocity of any load will vary from gun to gun.

If the maker claims PF 170, that will depend on the gun - some

will be higher and some will be lower.

I'd chrono them ...

Good luck. :cheers:

Like Moto said, what if you find out they are minor? Do you have time to get new ammo made/bought and tested? If not, then don't sweat it and just hope the temps are up and the chronos are running hot at your match. If you think you do have time to rectify the situation if your ammo isn't up to snuff, then by all means check it!

You have time, check with your local club or buddies. Might need to just bump up the load a tenth or two, or even lower it a bit. You won't know if you don't check.

Chrono's are everywhere and necessary. My favorite, the one I've had the best luck with, is the CED.Milenium 2. It seems to be the least light sensitive and most reliable.

A good chrono is a must if you plan on competing very much in bigger matches. It's just worth the peace of mind, if you don't try cutting it too close.

Wouldn't it be easier to pull the bullet with a pair of plyers, pour some powder in & then push the bullet back on top .... ? :). I think I've seen Clint Eastwood do that at least once ....

I just chronod some Freedom Munition 180gr in my G35 last weekend. It will make Major, barely. My buddy has the velocities on his phone, I will get it from him tomorrow and let you know what we got. personally I run 165 blazer, it ran about 1030fps(170pf), and was much more consistant than the freedom stuff.

ok here are the number.

Freedom Munitions 165gr:

986, 968, 980, 992 AVG: 981.5, Power Factor 162ish . High to Low 24FPS spread

FM 180gr:

948, 978, 934, 976, 959. AVG: 955, PF 172ish. High to low 44 FPS spread

Winchester whitebox 165gr:

1086, 1054, 1063, 1089, 1060. AVG: 1066, PF 175ish, High to low 35 FPS spread

Blazer Brass 165gr:

1022, 1036, 1029, 1028, 1031. AVG: 1029, PF 170ish. High to low 14 FPS spread.

Test Gun, GLOCK 35 Gen 3

Weather was sunny and about 70* F

Tests were done back to back after a USPSA match.

What really surprised me was the consistency of the Blazer brass. That is what i have been shooting at matches but havent chronod it until now. I knew it was close 165pf but glad it was acutally about 170 avg. The freedom munitions 180 should be fine, with a 172pf avg i would have no problem using it. I can get the blazer at a good price and local so thats what i will continue to run.

Edited by Tdizle

Not long ago I chronographed some Freedom 180gr out of a CZ Tactical Sport and got an average velocity of 1011fps, avg PF 182 (177-186).

Nevertheless, there have been some unhappy stories about commercial not matching expectations, so chrono is the way to go.

• 3 weeks later...