Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

The Sony Ericsson T616

EricW

t610_float.jpg

I've never before hated an inanimate object so much I want to take it to the range and blow it to smithereens before, so this is a new experience for me. This stupid phone is legendary among friends and customers. I could be sitting on the cell tower with my tongue touching the antenna and this stupid phone would still drop calls for lack of reception. Then, there's the charming feature of having a keypad that's locked, but not really. Trying to get a ringing phone out of your pocket without hanging up on the caller is virtually impossible. I swear that 50% of my minutes are used in calling back people that got hung up on because I hit the volume button pulling the phone out of my pocket.

Oh, then there's the recent call list that puts calls in a totally random order.

I could go on, but I shall not. Soon, I will have a new phone, and this sucker is going be live out the last moments of its miserable life as a Steel Challenge stop plate.

What is the picture suppose to be of? :huh:

EDITED

I see you've changed the pic. OK

I feel your pain, I use to have one of the early Ericsson flip phones, it was the absolute worst phone I 've ever had (trust me I've had a few). I was saving that POS with the full intent of taking it to the range and letting it talk to the 454 Casull.

Unfortunately (when I was with my X) she threw the dam thing out before I ever got around to it. :angry:

IMHO Ericsson is the worst phone on the market. <_<

THC

I had an Ericsson that I hated, it was a model older than that one, don't remember which. I had the first one for a whopping 4 days before it blanked out and wouldn't turn back on. So I got a loaner phone which was exactly the same as the first. It had a neat feature, it must have been for security. You had to hold it in the exact right position or the screen would disappear. You had to twist the top and bottom of the phone in opposite directions or the screen would be black or blank, the phone's choice.

If you can, take a look at the LG line of phones. I have a 7000 model that does 15 secs of video and pix, but there are other models with not as many features. I have great reception for being digital only, I can be in the duck blind with only 2 stations and still get a call out and keep it. It's been a surprisingly good phone for me so far.

Vince

I've been using a Kyocera SE47 Slider that I really like. Reception is excellent (but that may just be Verizon) 100 hour standby 4 hour talk time. Voice quality is pretty good but not excellent. It's small, easy to use and so far pretty rugged.

Nolan

post-1467-1113520183_thumb.jpg

Got the same one, the best "feature" that I have on mine is it's propensity to cache messages left for me and then deliver them all a few days later in a lump sum. It's probably the Cellular One system doing this, but the lack of constant connectivity this phone has may also be why it just doesn't get the message ;-)

The frequent notice to turn it off and back on because the SIM chip has been dislodged is a real PITA too. But because I paid good cash for the bugger, I'm gonna use it into the ground before I smash it.

--

Regards,

Cell phone companies suck much like the standard telcos (of which, most of them are a part). The phone manufacturers also suck - they know they're going to sell a ton of them whether they're crap or not. So, they sell us crap.

FWIW - if you like the Sony's, my T637 seems to be doing a good job, so far... Sony seems to have released more than it's fair share of crap, though :(

I've got a V600 Motorola (4th one under warranty), it's a tossup which is worse, it or AT&T/Cingular. I'm counting the days until my contract is over. First chance that I get they are outta here. :angry::angry:

The GSM System really stinks.

Glad to hear Moto sucks....since I ordered the Motorola V551 yesterday.....

Why? It has a speakerphone and bluetooth, both of which the LG lacks. And no, Sin-gular does not offer an LG with those features.

Glad to hear Moto sucks....since I ordered the Motorola V551 yesterday.....

Why?  It has a speakerphone and bluetooth, both of which the LG lacks.  And no, Sin-gular does not offer an LG with those features.

The Bluetooth works good, I got the software package and can download my phone directory from outlook. The headset is also good. The camera is just about useless. The picture quality is poor. There isn't much to the M Mode. Out of my 4 One lost the earphone speaker, one lost reception (garbled), one the program went beserk, but the last one (so far) is still working. It's probably the service but I still drop about 1 out of 3 calls and GSM still doesn't work inside buildings very well despite what they claim.

Steve

Go read the reviews online of the V551 (Amazon is a good place to start).

Moto's biggest problem is quality control. If you get a good one, you are in luck, if not, you are screwed and are now in "try and get one that works hell".

I was just about ready to go V551 myself (having given up on the MPx220 due to horrid reviews). Then I read the V551 reviews and decided to stay with Nokia. Got a 6230 and love it. All the stuff the V551 in a package about half the size.

I live in a "fringe coverage area" and people here with Moto phones (V551s, V220s, etc) told me there wasn't signal here. I have plenty of signal with my Nokia even inside my aluminium sided house.

Of course if you HAVE to have a flip phone....Nokia has one coming soon. :P

EricW,

Think of how much fun it would be to vaporize it with a 12 gauge shotgun.

;)

Brian,

If you had seen me shoot yesterday, you would have wrote: "think of how much fun it will be to watch *someone else* vaporize it with a 12 ga." ;)

Think I'll be giving the long guns a long, long rest. Ugh....

EricW,

Think of how much fun it would be to vaporize it with a 12 gauge shotgun.

;)

My sister-in-law always jokes about sending various household items that have surpassed their usefulness out to me... She knows I can get *one* more use out of them, anyhow :)