Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dang 380's when loading 9's

techj

I'm running a couple of large batches of 9's through the press - about 3,000 rounds altogether - and twice now have run into a 380 after the powder charge. I hate it when everything - including the bullet feeder - is working perfectly and then I have to stop and handle stupid 380 cases. In my mind the only thing worse is when I'm loading 45's and a SPP case slips through...now to relax by getting back to reloading.

My bullet feeder won't drop a bullet on the 380's. I just ignore them. Sucks to waste a primer I guess but that about it. Sometimes I try and grab them as they are exiting the press so they don't dump powder on my bullets in the hopper.

• 2 weeks later...

.380s are the worst. I can always tell because of the jarring crash on the downstroke because the case is sliding thru the sizing die with no resistance. Only reason id say the small primer .45 is less annoying is because I get far fewer SP 45s than I do .380s. Got a coffee can full of each of those cases next to my press

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/270949/shell-sorter-brass-sorter-380-acp-adapter-plate

Adds a sorting step and doesn't catch every single one unless you're much more meticulous about the sorting process than I am. But it has greatly reduced my trouble with .380 cases getting into the mix.

Can't overload the .380 plate like you can with the others. Add a small amount of brass, shake it around, dump, repeat.

• 2 weeks later...

Since its a hate on .380 loading 9 story thread.....

Saw a guy run a couple mags of .380 through his 9mm during a Club IDPA match.

First stage. Had to rack every round. Tap rack drills a plenty.

I couldn't beleive it actually fired most of the rounds and they all had this weird pop noise.

According to him his wife loaded his range bag.......yeah right.

Come to think of it I don't think hes been back since.