Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Powder Measure Dials

Hey Flex:

I tried a number of search word phrases:

i.e >> Powder Measure Dials .............. etc.

The only thread I came up with

which addressed.....>> Experience with existing choices

and recommendations as to which (if any) was worth the $ etc

was THIS ONE.

What are the magic words ??

The threads the search came up with

merely "listed" the choices [ and gave a on line tour of Home Depot ]

Has anyone actually bought any of these?

and

What comments might anyone have about their worth ??

I for one BOUGHT the "Uniteck"

The instalation instructions are not clear.

You are supposed to "LockTite" various surfaces on the

Uniteck to various surfaces on the existing Dillon Bar.

I haven't got up the courage to try it yet.

My only experience with Lock Tite, was:

If you don't get it right the first time............

Kiss it all goodby.

I bought the unitec, because of my EXCELLENT experience with

The "MicroDial" RCBS unit.

It is GREAT......!!

I had hoped that the uniteck would duplicate my RCBS experience on the Dillon.

It may yet

but

Uniteck would do well to either simplify the instalation \

or

offer to "upgrade" YOUR dillon Bar with a "correct" installation of

their product.

Uniteck.....are you listening ???

I haven't got up the courage to try it yet. My only experience with Lock Tite, was: If you don't get it right the first time............

Kiss it all goodby.

Use the Blue Lock Tite, it will melt with a hair dryer. No worries. ;)

Hey Flex:

I tried a number of search word phrases:

i.e >> Powder Measure Dials .............. etc.

The only thread I came up with

which addressed.....>> Experience with existing choices

and recommendations as to which (if any) was worth the $ etc

was THIS ONE.

What are the magic words ??

The  threads the search came up with

merely "listed" the choices [ and gave a on line tour of Home Depot ]

Has anyone actually bought any of these?

and

What comments might anyone have about their worth ??

I for one BOUGHT the "Uniteck"

The instalation instructions are not clear.

You are supposed to "LockTite" various surfaces on the

Uniteck to various surfaces on the existing Dillon Bar.

I haven't got up the courage to try it yet.

My only experience with Lock Tite, was:

If you don't get it right the first time............

Kiss it all goodby.

I bought the unitec, because of my EXCELLENT experience with

The "MicroDial" RCBS unit.

It is GREAT......!!

I had hoped that the uniteck would duplicate my RCBS experience on the Dillon.

It may yet

but

Uniteck would do well to either simplify the instalation \

or

offer to "upgrade" YOUR dillon Bar with a "correct" installation of

their product.

Uniteck.....are you listening ???

I did an Ebay and a google search by typing "dillon powder measures"

bberley's post looks interesting not sure about the plastic though.

That's the good thing about having guys like Ralph Arrendondo and Beven Grams local... you can pick up stuff at local matches. I've got one of Ralph's powder bars and use it with the uber-fine True Blue powder I'm loading in 9x19 Major. The dial is coooooooool... picked up one for my .40 powder measure. Good enough for me.

I never saw the "big deal" about these dials, I use a deep socket to hand turn the bolt. Then again I have "quick changes" set up for each caliber, set it up one time and forget it!

Neither did I. Until I started loading for open. Now I've worked up 3 different charge weights for 5 powders. Talk about a pain in the ass!

There was a vendor at the 2004 area 2 selling a micrometer attatchment for the dillon powder bar. Looked like a quality piece and he said the measurements were accurately repeatable.

Anyone pick one up?

James

There was a vendor at the 2004 area 2 selling a micrometer attatchment for the dillon powder bar. Looked like a quality piece and he said the measurements were accurately repeatable.

Anyone pick one up?

James

Believe this might have been the Uniquetec

Edited by renaissance7697

Got the MRDial today. It is a definate improvement over the bolt, which had galling marks on the threads.

It took less than 5 min to install and seems to control the travel of the adjuster very well. I was able to change settings and go right back to the original setting. Taking the slack out of the adjustment with the new bolt is the best advantage.

• 6 months later...

I got a pair of the uniquetek micrometers which i installed on a small and large powder bar.

Installation was about a 5 minute job, they give you some loctite with the kit to secure the bushing to the bar. Don't know if this will hold up, 4,000 rounds and counting.

The micrometer dial is very smooth and i have found the settings extremely repeatable with a variety of powders. I have tried AA#2, vit-n320,3n38 and IMR 4756. If you like to use different powders this contraption will make your life much easier. 2 thumbs up :D

James

If you are more thrift minded ( <_< ) click here for the Home Depot solution. That control should set you back about $1. More if you need to buy a sharpie to put graduations on it. I don't change loads all that much but I do keep a record of how much the knob is turned so I can go back through the records, and like a combination lock, dial back to an earler load.

These knobs do nothing for run-out in the bolt though, but if you just set it so you approach your target load in one direction, the run-out is not an issue as long as you do not overshoot and have to back off.

Later,

Chuck

I got a pair of the uniquetek micrometers which  i installed on a small and large powder bar.

Installation was about a 5 minute job, they give you some loctite with the kit to secure the bushing to the bar. Don't know if this will hold up, 4,000 rounds and counting.

The micrometer dial is very smooth and i have found the settings extremely repeatable with a variety of powders. I have tried AA#2, vit-n320,3n38 and IMR 4756. If you like to use different powders this contraption will make your life much easier. 2 thumbs up :D

James

Yeah, I'm eyeballing these very closely. Looks like the ticket for someone who likes to experiment with different loads/powders or someone who can't affort a gazillion set-up toolheads (me). I'n going to ask for one for Xmas.

Bronson7

Coming to a Dillon RL550B from a single stage press, Wilson hand dies, and a Redding BR-30 measure w/ all the bells and whistles, that factory nut just drove me... well, nuts. Got the Uniquetek micrometer, and have enjoyed it thoroughly. I only reload rifle; .223, and hopefully soon, .308, and as mentioned, the micrometer makes life pretty easy when trying to dial in on a load... easier than adjusting a hex-headed nut on a coarse threaded bolt, at least for me. Sounds like lots of folks get along just fine w/ the factory system, or by swapping out powder bars, etc. To each their own, I guess.

Monte

These knobs do nothing for run-out in the bolt though, but if you just set it so you approach your target load in one direction, the run-out is not an issue as long as you do not overshoot and have to back off.

Later,

Chuck

Chuck,

do you mean you get repeatable charges when you shift the knobs direction lets say forward 1/2 turn and backwards to your original setting?

lets say your weight is 4.5 grains on orig setting. turn your knob half turn and you get 4.8. When your fininshed turn it back to the orig setting and still get 4.5?

If i get it right as long as you dont go over your marks you get repeatable charges?

I hope im clear on my question and thanks for your response,

jason

after running the dial back ( or forth) you would need to run the powder measure a few times to "prime" it. Not so different than any other time you change the charge- dial installed or not.

James

Jason,

Let's say that I first move to a greater charge. I turn the knob CW and try to sneak up on the weight without overshoot. When I hit it I keep track of the total amount of divisions that the knob was turned. To go back to the first load, I just turn the knob CCW past the setting and then CW back to the recorded position. It works pretty well. I would think that the micrometer thing would make things easier. Hope this helps...

Jason,

Let's say that I first move to a greater charge. I turn the knob CW and try to sneak up on the weight without overshoot. When I  hit it I keep track of the total amount of divisions that the knob was turned. To go back to the first load, I just turn the knob CCW past the setting and then CW back to the recorded position. It works pretty well. I would think that the micrometer thing would make things easier.  Hope this helps...

thank you your a big help :)

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Everyone,

This is Lee with UniqueTek. I thought I'd jump in here and respond to a few of your questions and concerns ... without turning this into a sales event.

ong45,

That was UniqueTek that you saw at the 2004 Area II Championship. We will be there again this year.

Renaissance7697,

I understand your worries about getting it correct before using LocTite. We do listen and we are now on Revision 11 of the installation instructions. If you need a copy just contact me and I'll send one via e-mail.

Don't substitute Blue LocTite. The LocTite 609 we supply is designed to wick into the threads on the bushing and it can fill a gap up to 5 thousandths inch if the hole in our bar is on the large size.

If you want us to install your micrometers, please call me and we will take care of you. We have a 100% satisfaction guarantee. We will do whatever it takes to make you a happy customer.

Other questions:

If we supplied a complete bar, the cost would about double the kit price. We have considered offering installation on our web site at $10 per bar. Please (everyone) give us feedback on this option and price!

Anyone who has questions can contact me off the forum where we can duscuss in detail.

Best regards,

Lee Love

UniqueTek

• 2 months later...
The micrometer dial is very smooth and i have found the settings extremely repeatable with a variety of powders. I have tried AA#2, vit-n320,3n38 and IMR 4756. If you like to use different powders this contraption will make your life much easier. 2 thumbs up

James

I just bought one for my small powder bar - it'll be doing double duty for .40 and .38 Super, so I figured this would be a good way to switch between calibers, powders, and major/steel loads. I agree with what James has to say above - instead of a clunky, imprecise screw to operate the powder charge, I now have a predictable, precise instrument. This is analogous to adding a Redding Competition Seating Die to your setup - very precise control.

Lee also sent me an Excel file that could be used to calibrate the powder measure for different powders - allowing you to predict a setting to start with for a given charge of a certain powder. Obviously, you still need to weigh and fine tune, due to differences in lots, etc - but it's a quick, painless way to get very close, and then just verify the charge on the scale...

For what it's worth. I just bought one of those little plastic dials from Lowes for about $2.00. I then put numbers (1-14) on each knurl. I then recorderd the powder charge per each number/turn. I can then "dial" in different amounts. There's no equation but once I get a few data points I can easily go back and fourth. Note, I always double check but it's easier than my old "hash" mark on the bolt.