Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

A different kind of choke question

Iggy42

So I ordered a new shotgun recently, and as a part of that I began looking at the various choke options out there. Seeing the DRASTIC shifts in price I have got to ask, why are Pure Golds $125 a piece as listed on their website (granted they appear to be ported, but I am told they have non-ported available) versus $48 for a Carlson

Are Pure Gold/Brilley/Muller really worth the extra price? Just wondering if there is something I don't know about to makes the more expensive options a better choice

For what its worth I will be choking an A5

Edited by Iggy42

I will get blasted for this...but in 3 gun 125 dollar chokes are a waist of money.

Even in sporting clays...Unless one actually spends time working a pattern board over the choke factor is little more than cool factor.

I have been collecting data proving just that.

I have not been collecting any data to prove anything, but I agree with Pat 100%. The predominant shooting sports in my area (non-hunting that is) are the clay sports, so I know and work with a few people who have blown a small fortune on chokes and even after spending an entire weekend counting little holes in a pattern board, they still don't know what all that money bought them.

• 2 weeks later...

Decided to pick up some Carlsons

CYL (really close) -LM (85% to 95% of the time choke) - IM (Why is it way out there)

Doubt I'll need any other chokes if I understood Mr. Pat Kelley's article well enough. Now I just need my shotgun back and to re-read on how to properly fit a shotgun.

I use Carlson's, with the exception of a Briley Diffusion choke because Carlson doesn't make an equivalent. The Carlson Sporting Clays chokes are extended and knurled, so you can change chokes quickly between stages even with a long mag tube in the way. I have measured them in every way possible (concentricity, wall thickness, parallelism, etc) and cannot find an area where they are inferior to the Brileys at about half the cost. I use Diffusion for any stage that doesn't have a spinner or any steel past about 18 yards, skeet if there is a close spinner and/or knockdowns are less than 25 yards, and Light Mod for pretty much everything beyond that. I have every choke up to Improved Mod in .005 increments, but I use those three in 95+% of 3gun situations. Keep in mind that all shotguns do not have exactly the same bore diameter, and US made shotguns typically average .005" larger bore than European guns, so choke restrictions won't do the same thing in every shotgun. For instance, an Improved Cylinder choke is supposed to be .010 restriction, but the SAME diameter choke in a European shotgun with a .005 smaller bore will give a Skeet choke pattern, because the differential between the bore and choke is less. I use a Stoeger (made in Turkey), and the bore is tight. So the chokes that work best in my gun may not be the best in yours. Test for yourself and find out

Edited by openclassterror

Funny thing in the world of shotgun sports......some shotguns actually cost $12,000.00 or more. Someone who drops that kind of coin isn't going to drop a $48.00 choke in the thing.....LOL. Those guys wouldn't even look at a choke that didn't have a catchy name like "Pure Gold" with a high price tag.