Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

About to go Blue (RL550B)- die questions (and more)

Hi all,

Shooting more (and more) 9mm of late and want to add a second press (currently running a LNL for 45ACP). Since my reloading time is limited, the less fiddling I do the better, so while it's a little extravagant to add a second press like this, I'm going to go for it.

I was originally going to go with the SD, but decided to go with the RL550B since the price differential isn't huge (and everyone seems to love their 550B ;) )

My main question has to do with the dies, I have both Lee and Hornady 9mm dies (also the Hornady taper crimp). I know that I can use them on the 550B (will likely use the Hornady) - but since the Dillon dies are only $65, I'm willing to buy them if there is a strong suggestion that this is the better or easier way to go. I've been happy with the Hornady on the LNL, so the Dillon dies seem redundant. Opinion?

That is basically my main concern. I'm going to hold off on the Strong Mount for now as I am only 5'3" on a good day, plus I have a RockDock Mount already, so I will just plate it directly. Unless someone thinks there's an advantage even for us vertically challenged types. Will go with the aluminum handle, though.

Any other input appreciated.

JT

Use the dies you have and as I load for at least 5 calibers on a regular basis, I have 4-550s and 1-650 set up. Extravagant? Maybe, as you mention, but my time is valuable and if I can load 2-300 rounds in the time it takes to do a conversion, its worth it. Especially if I change over 10 times in a year.

Great input, very much appreciated!

550B is ordered via Brian, decided to go with the Strong Mount and just picked up some lumber to build the 550B it's own bench to get the height just right.

Thanks Steve RA, I had seen reference to that concern with the Lee dies, appreciate the precise details.

And yup, I was being a bit ironic re: extravagance . I know from my own experience that switching calibers can sometimes discourage me from reloading (imagined time/effort) -- so for me, it just works better to have a separate press per caliber, easy since I only shoot 9mm/.45ACP and 38 Special. Doesn't take advantage of the flexibility of the press, but oh well.

Thanks,

JT

With small primer to small primer caliber switch on a 550, it takes less than 5 minutes if you have a separate powder hopper.

Definitely a serious plus for the 550. If I take to the Dillon my guess is that I will also load .38 on it leaving the LNL just for .45ACP. I started on a Lee Turret that I still use to work up new loads. I'm a big fan of removable die heads and separate hoppers. The less fiddling the better!

With small primer to small primer caliber switch on a 550, it takes less than 5 minutes if you have a separate powder hopper.

Same can be said for the 650 though it takes me longer than 5 minutes because I do cleanup maintenance at caliber changes. By the time I clean things, including the removed shell feeder plate, I'm looking at closer to 20 minutes. Still, it's a labor of love. :cheers:

I think you will love the 550. I would get rid of some of my guns before I gave up my 550 - its just been solid from day one. Its been my experience that you will know when you need a 650 or 1050.

This^^^ You will definitely know when it's time for a 650. You will also keep the 550. You can load everything you want with this combo.

I think you will love the 550. I would get rid of some of my guns before I gave up my 550 - its just been solid from day one. Its been my experience that you will know when you need a 650 or 1050.

This^^^ You will definitely know when it's time for a 650. You will also keep the 550. You can load everything you want with this combo.

550 is a great press, super easy to switch cals/primer systems, capable of producing good ammo at a reasonable rate. I upgraded to reduce reloading time, but kept the 550 and us it regularly even with 3 additional progressive presses.

~g

+1 for all the above comments. Been loading on a 550 for 15 years. Great press! Just purchased a 650 w/ case feeder and bullet feeder for 9mm Major volume. The 550 will stay on the bench for .45 ACP, .32 H&R Mag, .38/.357 Mag, .223 etc....

I really like the Redding Competition seating die on the Dillon. Makes it easy to dial in fine adjustments and repeat settings.

The dies you have will serve you well.

The Inline precision skylight that shines right on top of your brass loaded with powder is a wonderful thing. People use everything from lcd lights, Clamp on lights etc. Use some of light that allows you see the powder in your case before seating a bullet.

Keep either a can of compressed air or small air compressor on the bench. Blow off the press every time you add 100 primers and your Dillon will run smoothly in between cleanings.

Good loading...