Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

question about glocked brass

CrashDodson

Do you load the lubed cases or do you size and then tumble?

lube them and then load them on my progressive and then tumble the finished rounds in corn cob for about 30 mins to get off the lube.. comes out bright and shiny.

even though i have guage for 9 and 40 i never found a need for them with my setup.

What your process for lubing them? And why tumble after? I've read some people put a hundred rounds or so in a zip lock bag, spray some one shot in there and shake it up. If this method is used is it nessesary to tumble the finished rounds?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

i put them on a tray with sides and spray the tray and add cases and toss them around. this keeps lube out of the inside. i tumble after they are loaded as i have found the lube to pick up sand and grit when dropped on the ground. some people don't tumble and it really a personal choice. you only need to tumble about 30 mins or less to get the lube off. my Thumblers UV18 can do 300 finished 40 easily in one run.

i know lots of people will say no need to lube carbide dies, but try it once and see for yourself how much easier it is on your machine and how much consistant your rounds will come out.

Are you tumbling in corncob or similar media?

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a wet tumbler with SS but I also have a vibe tumbler with walnut....it just leaves the casings with dust on them. Not sure how that would effect the gun but the dust in the gun/mags over a big match might.

buy a 40# bag of corn cob for cheap. replace walnut with corn cob. use used dryer sheets cut up into small squares and put them in. throw the lubed loaded rounds in tumbler. run for about 30 mins. the dryer sheet will grab all the dust. replace dryer sheets when they get loaded up. enjoy your nicely polished loaded rounds.

So I was loading some 40 tonight and the only difference with this brass is I had deprimed on the dillon with dillon dies and then ran it through the wet tumbler. I had about half the cases get stuck on the powder die. Its like the mouth of the case was too small for the expander. It would press down fine but get caught when the ram was lowering. It took a bit of muscling to lower it.

Is this normal and would this just get even worse when using a U-die?

get the U-Die...all is well...

I have been reading about those....any difference in the EGW and Lee? I read Lee makes both.

I think they are the same ones...I use them for both my 9mm and .40 cal. I forgot which one I have...

According to the EGW site, they radius the bottom of the die in order for the die to resize farther down on the case.

http://www.egwguns.com/index.php?p=product&id=840

I think that's just referring to how all Lee dies size down further than other brands. My guess is the Lee and EGW U dies are identical.

I originally thought that too, but again according to the EGW site:

A must for the serious reloader: EGW offers custom designed, carbide sizing dies that are 0.001" smaller in diameter than typical dies. Not only is it smaller in diameter, the bottom corner is radiused which sizes the case further down. This helps prevent feed failures from cases that bulged near the base during reloading- which is typical of brass fired in Glocks and other loose chambered guns. The dies are made out of carbide.

Undersized Reloading Dies will work with a Dillon Press if they are 550, 650, or 1050. They will not work if they are squared.

Why does my die have Lee packaging?

Lee Precision, Inc manufacturers the dies to our specifications, meaning these dies are made solely for us. The Lee dies you can buy from other suppliers are not the EGW undersized dies.

So your process is to decap and then clean the cases in SS pin and then reload them?? may i ask why? usually people do this because they want the primer holes clean. not really necessary for pistol brass IMHO. on your sticking expander, its pretty common on dillions when the brass is too clean. the way to solve it is to polish the expander to mirror or to lube the expander every once in a while.

i would just clean the cases in SS,let dry, lube them and load them.

Lee Precision, Inc manufacturers the dies to our specifications, meaning these dies are made solely for us. The Lee dies you can buy from other suppliers are not the EGW undersized dies.

They just say all other Lee dies, not Lee U-dies...best to ask Lee...

I have been reading about those....any difference in the EGW and Lee? I read Lee makes both.

I think they are the same ones...I use them for both my 9mm and .40 cal. I forgot which one I have...

According to the EGW site, they radius the bottom of the die in order for the die to resize farther down on the case.

I think that's just referring to how all Lee dies size down further than other brands. My guess is the Lee and EGW U dies are identical.

A must for the serious reloader: EGW offers custom designed, carbide sizing dies that are 0.001" smaller in diameter than typical dies. Not only is it smaller in diameter, the bottom corner is radiused which sizes the case further down. This helps prevent feed failures from cases that bulged near the base during reloading- which is typical of brass fired in Glocks and other loose chambered guns. The dies are made out of carbide.

Undersized Reloading Dies will work with a Dillon Press if they are 550, 650, or 1050. They will not work if they are squared.

Yeah it sounds like they're saying the EGW U die sizes lower, but I think really they're just referring to the fact that all Lee sizing dies size further down than other brands. Just like how here when talking about the regular Lee sizing die they say, "Lee's exclusive contour grind sizes closer to the rim than any other brand of sizing die." https://fsreloading.com/lee-precision-carbide-sizing-die-only-9mm-luger-90548.html

I could be wrong, but it doesn't seem to me like there's any difference between the Lee and EGW U dies. Besides that the EGW says it's .001" undersized and the Lee saying it's .002-.003". Even there I wouldn't be surprised if they're really the same...

I just immediately installed a fully supported barrel from lone wolf

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

While not a bad idea at all, that doesn't really help with your glocked brass. Or if it does, it just masks the problem. Slightly bulged brass might chamber in a looser glock chamber for a while, but it's going to be spotty.

I have been bulge busting my brass previously and just recently bought a 40 Udie. I ran 300 pieces of range brass through it and the only rejects I got afterwards were two with split necks... no problems chambering whatsoever with any of them. My bulge buster certainly worked exactly as advertised but the U die is a better mousetrap.

Edited by Echd

I run all my 40 brass through a grx push through die on my single stage before going on 650. I don't mind the extra step because every case passes the guage. Redding grx die is great. Also makes the press run smoother.

+1

If I have a FTF after that the only one I can blame is me.

I've been using the undersized die for a few hundred rounds of 9 and 2k rounds of 40. Everything is gauging. I am using the case feeder on the 550 and I've had a few cases get destroyed because they didn't line up right. The undersized die is not as tapered as the dillon.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Yeah it sounds like they're saying the EGW U die sizes lower, but I think really they're just referring to the fact that all Lee sizing dies size further down than other brands. Just like how here when talking about the regular Lee sizing die they say, "Lee's exclusive contour grind sizes closer to the rim than any other brand of sizing die." https://fsreloading.com/lee-precision-carbide-sizing-die-only-9mm-luger-90548.html

I could be wrong, but it doesn't seem to me like there's any difference between the Lee and EGW U dies. Besides that the EGW says it's .001" undersized and the Lee saying it's .002-.003". Even there I wouldn't be surprised if they're really the same...

I saw that too, EGW undersized at .001 vs .002-.003 for the Lee. I'm sure both would be fine, I went ahead and ordered the EGW myself but haven't had a chance to load any .40 up yet.

Edited by ruleyoutoo1911

I have read that newer glocks don't bulge brass as bad as previous generations.

With that said does it still make sense to run 40 brass through a bulge buster or g-rx, or just case cage after and discard what doesn't gauge? I ran a batch of about 200 40 the other day and had 10 that wouldn't gauge. Is there accuracy or other issues that could come up from a non resized case that fits the case gauge?

If re-sizing is recommended would it be ok to get a toolhead for my 550 and add the universal decaping die and the bulge buster or would it be better to have a separate single stage for the bulge buster? If I am going to need to use the bulge buster I might as well decap so they clean up extra pretty. I want to get a 100 round case gauge but I cant drop the coin on that plus the resizing gear. Trying to decide what should be a priority.

So every three months I get a couple of thousand once fired cases. 99% Glocked, I had the same issue as you with some failures to chamber in my STI. I run all my match ammo thought a chamber checker - My Barrel removed from the gun. I was running almost 20% failure. I'd put those in my practice bag and just shoot them. I'd get some failures to chamber in practice but just put up with it. I thought about getting a GRX or bulge buster.

I decided to see if I could fix the problem with a EGW U die. I'm a couple of hundred rounds in, and that's a small sample but....

Not one failure to chamber in the STI.

I'd just get the U Die and be happy. :D

The FCD should not correct "glocked" brass unless you are using it with a "bulge buster" setup, in which case it will.

If you were adjusting your FCD down heavy enough to swage out any brass bulges, that would be impressive indeed! Are you loading your potentially glocked brass into a glock barrel? I found that I could frequently chamber glock brass in glock barrels, but trying to chamber it in an aftermarket barrel was a no-go. My solution was initially a bulge buster, but about two weeks ago I got a U-die and it is by far the superior option.

The FCD should not correct "glocked" brass unless you are using it with a "bulge buster" setup, in which case it will.

If you were adjusting your FCD down heavy enough to swage out any brass bulges, that would be impressive indeed! Are you loading your potentially glocked brass into a glock barrel? I found that I could frequently chamber glock brass in glock barrels, but trying to chamber it in an aftermarket barrel was a no-go. My solution was initially a bulge buster, but about two weeks ago I got a U-die and it is by far the superior option.

My only gun in 40s&w is a tanfoglio. I'm not sure why but between my lee resize die and the fcd my reloads come off of the press great! And all of my brass is from a 5 gallon bucket I purchased from a range. Not to say your setup isn't superior, just that this is what works for me.