Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Caspian Limited Gun

Bill Schwab

I just had this gun finished up. It's a Caspian hi-cap done as a combined effort from EGW and Matt McLearn (M2i).

The frame was manicured by EGW. EGW did all the frame checkering (frontstrap, mainspring housing & underside of trigger guard) and filled in a few scope mount holes that were in the dust cover.

In February I sent the frame and a bag of parts to Matt McLearn. Matt did all the slide/frame/barrel fitting, slide work and tuned the trigger. He then sent it to Metaloy for hard-chroming. The slide to frame and barrel fitting of this gun are extraordinary! By far the best I've owned :) Matt tastefully checkered the rear of the slide and flat-topped & serrated the slide top.

I REALLY enjoyed working with Matt on this project. He's a super guy who won't settle for anything other than perfection; he wanted the gun done the way I wanted it, and he wanted it done perfectly (notice the slimmed weak side safety I requested due to my excessively high grip with my strong hand).

I've only had the gun out once, for a short session, but it ran great and I shot offhand 20 groups with it that were smokin', on par with my ultra accurate EGW singlestack 40.

-Caspian hi-cap frame

-ramped Schuemann UltiMatch bull barrel

-STI slide

-Wilson rear sight with Enos style rear notch (Matt cut the notch)

-Brazos fiber optic front sight

-Aftec extractor

-Limcat XL firing pin

-EGW slide stop & FP stop (the SV slide stop I sne to have fitted got flats worn on it during barrel fitting!!!!!)

-SV full length guide rod

I want to say "Thanks" to Allan for letting me borrow the mags necessary for test-firing.

I hope to take better pics (outdoors) over the weekend, and will post them.

post-214-1113003553_thumb.jpg

post-214-1113003587_thumb.jpg

post-214-1113003618_thumb.jpg

very very nice...

been always happy with George and his guys at EGW work..and it is nice to see Matt set back up and working on guns...

thanks for sharing the photos

.40AET: Nope, I don't have mags yet, and I kinda want to finish the season shooting my beat up Open gun. After this season the Open gun will go to Matt for a complete make-over. I figure by that time Caspian will have 40 mags on the market (I hope), and I'll have figured out how to properly tune them.

eerw: You are very welcome.

Alan: You don't really need your mags back do you? :P Looking forward to your pics. I hope the checkering looks better than it sounded over the phone.

Bill --

Sweet gun, looks great and I can't wait to see it.

I'm also thrilled to see that you are staying out of open for a while - that could be one spot I just moved up the rankings. :D:D:D

What did the EGW work set you back ?

I am looking at getting a Caspian Frame and

will be needing to get a few things done too

it..

Thanks

SuperComp9 `;}~

Ok let me rephrase the ?

did you have the checkered insert installed or was

it the machine checkering ?

BTW the pistol LOOKS great... More pics please..

The EGW work on the frame took most of 2004. Matt finishing everything up took slightly over two monthes and that includes the gun being sent away for hard-chrome.

As stated above EGW is very busy and has a long wait list. Matt on the other hand is freshly back in the gunsmithing business and can turn a complete gun around quick.

How long did it take from start to finish for this beautiful project?

• 3 weeks later...

infinity,

To be honest with you I don't know how well I like it yet because I've only test-fired the gun once and I've been shooting nothing but Open for 1.5 years so any open sights seem very different. This is an experiment for me because all my other open sighted guns have more traditional serrated front sights.

• 3 weeks later...

Travis Tomisie on Max's choice has a way to use pro mag caspian cas-01

magazines for your 40 capian guns.

Niel Keller makes a checkering jig for the caspian wide bodies its a

nice set up!; then you dont have to weld in the insert on the front strap. ;)

Jim

Sailors Custom Pistols