Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

STI DVC 9Major after gunsmithing

race1911

Went to gunsmith before even firing the first shot: changed out the Slideride to an RTS2 (latest V3 chip and spacer added to center on slide), Extreme Engineering hammer sear and disconnector, Phoenix Trinity SS grip, Cape SS magwell, SV interchangeable trigger bow, Limcat extended firing pin, Mitchell mag release, thumb rest, 19 lb mainspring, 9lb recoil, altered so slide does not lock back, grip safety pinned, got all mags tuned pics attached (forgot to put the slide racker on for pics, it fits perfectly)......gone to the range several times and put a couple hundred rounds through her.....absolutely no malfunctions of any kind, runs like a dream

post-1614-0-91429500-1454372555_thumb.jp

post-1614-0-13451000-1454372600_thumb.jp

Edited by race1911

Looks very nice. If you don't mind my asking why did you go for a factory gun if you were planning on changing so much? Did you price out a custom build? I would think that the prices would have been pretty close between this and what one of the big smiths.

Looks very nice. If you don't mind my asking why did you go for a factory gun if you were planning on changing so much? Did you price out a custom build? I would think that the prices would have been pretty close between this and what one of the big smiths.

I'm all about the DVC... I have a Limited but....

What he said above. Seems like with all that work you could have gone full custom?

Enjoy the new Blaster! :D

thanks for the comments guys..I really liked what STI had done with the DVC, but wanted some "personal touches".....the "personal touches" just happened to add up to a list and before I knew it it was a full custom DVC..........and, yes, may have been slightly cheaper to get a full custom ordered from a custom shop, but in the end I'm extremely happy with how it came out and there's no one else with one exactly the same.......my smith tweaked the extractor some to hold more tension, and the slidestop is STI DVC that the smith altered so the slide would not lock back on an empty mag (answer to the spacer above in #12, and yes it IS 9Major)

Edited by race1911

answer to Mitchell mag release: yes, it was milled flatter on that side so that the locking screw would contact full surface instead of only half of it

answer to PT grip: Although this is a personal observation and may differ for different shooters: I find the PT grip gives a much better balance on an Open blaster and probably reduces recoil somewhat as opposed to a normal STI factory grip

Edited by race1911