Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What Red Dot Sight are you using?

AzShooter

Over the past few months I've been experimenting with different Red Dots on my 929. I started with an old ADCO sight with the Large, Can size optic. I later tried my old Tasco PDP4. I like it at 30 mm. The dot size is about 3 minute but it's easy to find and doesn't wash out in the sun.

Last month I tried the Burris Fast Fire III with the 3 minute dot. For load development I like this sight but for ICORE I found it to be wanting. Accuracy was good but it was washing out in the sun and very hard to keep track of on the targets. Xs were easy to shoot but my speed left much to be desired.

I'm thinking of getting rid of the 3 minute and trying an 8 minute dot on the Burris. I liked to scope and it is so light the gun still feels like I'm shooting Iron sight. I was using an Allchin mount. Very nice setup. I'll keep the mount when I get rid of the 3 minute dot.

Now, I'm setting up with a C-More Railway with 12 minute dot. I can still shoot pretty good groups with it. Speed is coming along fine and i'm waiting to shoot a Steel Challenge Match later in February to see if I can cut down my times.

The C-More also sits on top of a new Allchin Mount. I took off the base of the C=More and was able to mount it lower then with the rail.

What dot sights are you all using? Any advantage to dot size? How about the optic size?

I use the Allchin mount also but with Allchin 90 degree mount adapter. Lightest and lowest mount to bore available for a C-More. I use a 2 minute dot for ICORE and the only reason why is for standards. On another revolver for steel or USPSA I use a 6 minute dot. Yes I know there is not an open revolver in USPSA but there is open and at the local level who cares and it is good practice for ICORE.

I use and I think everyone knows this. The minute rule, if you use a 6 min dot it will cover a 6 circle at 100 yards at 50 yards it will cover a 3 inch circle at 25 yards it will cover a 1.5 inch circle at 12 yards it will cover a .75 inch circle. This helps with sight in.

The best I ever shot the Standards at a IRC was 15 and I was using a 1 minute dot on a EOTech. Dot was bright but scope sat to high and weighed to much. With the 1 minute dot only covering .5 inch at 50 yards.

I've been playing with a JPoint and their low adaptor, seems to come up pretty good on target.

If I get to where I like it, might go with a side mount and c-more. The only bad thing of the JPoint is the plastic lens. Had it on a Glock for a bit and the lens took a couple of dings.

• 5 months later...

RTS2

10504839_512733572260274_564318167695696

Nice looking revolver, who did the barrel? Also, how do you like the RTS2 on top? I was going to give that combination a try on my next dot gun.

David Lake made the barrel.

I really like the RTS 2 dots, they work well for me, easy to see the dot, and budget friendly. If money was of no object, i'd put deltapoint 2 dots on my guns - but that's besides the point.

12605522_494749040725394_835578394246911

12471594_490495064484125_526833931733629

Years ago I always had trouble finding the dot when I tried any revolvers with a CMORE. When i finally set up a 929 for open I started with a Fast Fire III on a JPoint mount. I struggle with finding the dot again, it was always high in the window. Switched to a 6 MOA CMORE on an Allchin mount and love it. No trouble finding the dot, large enough for fast acquisitions but small enough for reasonable accuracy. Long range standards I set the dot on the dimmer side so I can look through the dot easier.