Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Trigger consistancy pull to pull with digital gauge?

EngineerEli

Hey all,

How consistent are most peoples trigger pulls using digital trigger pull gauges? How many pulls do you take the average of to determine the "trigger pull weight" of a certain gun? I am getting +- in upwards of 4 ounces or so at times. Is this normal? Could this be the method I am using with the gauge? Could it be the lubrication of the gun? The trigger job itself?

-Eli

In biathlon competition, they had a weighted thing with a hook that they would hang on the trigger to ensure you were not below 4oz. It seemed pretty consistent. I wonder if the digital scales allow the variance you are seeing. It could also be the fact the Anshutz triggers were out of this world compared even to a nice 1911 trigger ;)

My lyman trigger pull gauge actually has a roller on it, and my stock II has a curved trigger, so as long as I align the bar with the back strap in the same place (right where the webbing of your strong hand would go) I would think it should be pretty consistent with positioning and angle. Pull weights still fluctuate though. Are you supposed to pull fast or slow when testing weight???

You will see large variations on revolvers for DA pull. For SA it's more consistent but there is still some change depending on how fast you pull and where the gauge engages the trigger.

Yea on my Tanfoglio Stock II the DA is where I see the most extreme fluctuation, SA is more consistent. So the fluctuation is sounding pretty normal...

I'd bet that you are jerking the gauge when the trigger breaks giving you the inconsistent readings.

I use a Lyman digital and it is quite consistent.

You need to stop the movement the instant the trigger breaks for consistent readings.

The variation seen on DA pull may be a true reading since part of the pull force is due to the tip of the hand forcing it's way past the ratchet. Variances of 1/2 pound are not at all unusual, especially given how poorly new revos are set up at the factory. The ratchets usually are not "balanced" like a good gunsmith will do.

Edited by bountyhunter

I'd bet that you are jerking the gauge when the trigger breaks giving you the inconsistent readings.

I use a Lyman digital and it is quite consistent.

You need to stop the movement the instant the trigger breaks for consistent readings.

^^^ this. I have a digital Lyman too and I sometimes didn't stop pulling the gauge when the trigger broke and it led to inconsistency.

I prefer the known weight type gauges used in conventional pistol. Technique matters less when using these gauges.

A home made version can be made from a coat hanger, soda can and bullets weighed on your reloading scale. Very accurate if a little tedious.

An easier cheap one can be made with a coat hangar and a empty gallon milk bottle. Use a measuring cup to add water to the bottle, one ounce water equals one ounce weight. 16 ounces water is a pound, you can use a sharpie to draw lines on the plastic gallon jug to denote "weights" when filled to that line.

I have an Olympic match air rifle with the Weihrauch Rekord trigger, this is the finest trigger ever made by the hand of men and my Lyman gauge has fits with it, just like all my other guns. Pull gauges give a pretty good idea but weights are the only way to be absolutely sure.