Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Performance center, or lack of for the money?

Kurusty

I finally decided that I want to shoot open revolver for steel challenge so I went to a LGS to check out the 627 V-comp.I can't understand how a pistol can leave the "performance center" with a trigger that horrible! I just find it hard to believe that roughly $1500 I would have to do something that they promote as already being done. Don't get me wrong, I have spent well over double that for my limited and open guns, but if rather have the option to pay less fit something without the "PC" markings knowing that I have to do trigger work before I shoot it. I believe that they have forced me into waiting for the illusive used V-comp. Does anyone else feel the same way?

It's a tough lesson but the first thing that has to be done to a PC gun is a trigger job. Best place is APEX TACTICAL and TKCustome.

Both will give you an excellent trigger under 6 lbs that will reliably ignite Federal Primers.

The V-Comp is one of my favorite 627s. I like the heavy barrel. I put a red dot on mine and would still be shooting it if I hadn't given up shooting for a few year do to health.

Now I'm playing with a 929. It too had to have a trigger job right from the factory although I got lucky and had a decent 8 lb trigger. Now with an APEX hammer and some tweaking of the springs it's at just under 6 lbs.

Good luck with your V-Comp. It won't take much to make it a thoroughbred and give you years of service.

They definitely built and excellent gun, I own 2 686's and love them. They are both no dash models and I have polished the internals to get nice pull, but you know you have to do that with those models, I just wouldn't expect it from their performance shop.

$1,499.95 to be exact! I asked the kid if that's the best they can do and he said "there's not much markup on revolvers". I chuckled and said OK, thank you and left. You can see for yourself at sgcusa.com. they are the only local shop that I could find that has one.

I finally decided that I want to shoot open revolver for steel challenge so I went to a LGS to check out the 627 V-comp.I can't understand how a pistol can leave the "performance center" with a trigger that horrible! I just find it hard to believe that roughly $1500 I would have to do something that they promote as already being done.///Does anyone else feel the same way?

There is an old thread of mine about the train wreck that was my brand new PC 627. If only it was just a bad trigger, I would have been the luckiest guy on the planet. I got yelled at and ticked off some SW lovers here so I generally don't chime in on the topic anymore. But that thread might still be some where.

I never bought another new SW revo.

Edited by bountyhunter

LOL! it's kind of like the Ford,Chevy, Dodge debate, everyone has their favorites. I don't dislike S&W,I just feel like it's false advertising for that model. I didn't start this to bash them, I was just wondering if other people have noticed the same thing I did.

The only thing you get from a PC gun is a special shape of barrel. It's all cosmetics.If you really want that particular barrel, spend the money. That is all you're getting for the extra dollars. You get nothing extra in the mechanical part of it.

Edited by Toolguy

The PC isn't worth any price difference, even though I have 2 of them?!. But if you want a Comp (as in V-Comp) outside of a gunsmith it's a choice. If it's not the Comp, then another N Frame 8 shot at a good price is usually a better deal.

The PC is just a name S&W puts on a model to fool around with prices.

Like putting "All Natural, Fortified, Premium, etc..." on food products it's all marketing.

Edited by pskys2

The PC isn't worth any price difference, even though I have 2 of them?!. But if you want a Comp (as in V-Comp) outside of a gunsmith it's a choice. If it's not the Comp, then another N Frame 8 shot at a good price is usually a better deal.

The PC is just a name S&W puts on a model to fool around with prices.

Like putting "All Natural, Fortified, Premium, etc..." on food products it's all marketing.

In the early 2000s I bought my perfect gun. It was the six and one half inch 8 shot model 27 from "the performance center" I was stoked and for several IRCs afterward people would stop me just to get a look at it. Imagine my disappointment when I first received it and the action seemed rough. I (and my lgs as I was nervous about popping sideplates at the time) opened it up and a pile of metal shavings were shaken out roughly the equivalent of a 1/4 of a cigarette's tobacco. We just looked at the pile and each other for a few seconds. Since then "performance center" has had no magic to me. All revolvers are beginning points for the competitive shooter

I originally wanted to get the TRR8 because I can mount my optic for open, but still use it for iron sight, and then I came across a thread here that said it won't make it through a full year of competition. Don't really know if a comp is necessary for the PF I'll be using in steel but I like the weight of the V compared to the standard 627 and the TRR8.

I stand corrected... Here is what S&W sates about the V on their website:

Performance Center

Chrome Hammer

Chrome Trigger with Trigger Stop

Removable Barrel Compensator

PC Tuned Action

Sorry, I take back what I have said about the trigger.

I originally wanted to get the TRR8 because I can mount my optic for open, but still use it for iron sight, and then I came across a thread here that said it won't make it through a full year of competition. Don't really know if a comp is necessary for the PF I'll be using in steel but I like the weight of the V compared to the standard 627 and the TRR8.

You can mount your optic to any smith revolver, they're all drilled and tapped under the rear sight.

The trr8 still seem to be fine. I'm not sure any of us have actually seen a worn out scandium gun. And besides, wouldn't smith warranty it if you did wear it out?

My first new S&W was the 929. It also came to me featuring a "PC tuned action". You'll have to forgive me, I'm young and ignorant. I expected it to have a decent or even good action. It didn't. It felt like it was full of gravel. It did have some metal shavings inside, but not quite a cigarette's worth. It had some shavings and a lot of grit like it'd be left out on the bench near a grinder. Cleaning it cut out a little of the grittiness, but certainly not all of it. Mine was also expensive, but certainly not $1500! The 929 is approaching bargain prices on some websites! Shop around, I guess!

You can mount your optic to any smith revolver, they're all drilled and tapped under the rear sight.

The trr8 still seem to be fine. I'm not sure any of us have actually seen a worn out scandium gun. And besides, wouldn't smith warranty it if you did wear it out?

The S&W warranty doesn't always work the way most think that it does. My friend wore out a TR 325 and S&W said that the wear was normal and not a defect.

I was denied warranty once because I was not the original purchaser. I did not know at the time that the warranty doesn't extend to a used gun purchase. Since I was denied service on these grounds it makes all used S&W guns worth significantly less to me since the purchase would be without warranty.

Here is the text of the first part of the warranty. Note the reference to "original owner" and giving written notice of any defects within the first year by the "original owner".

This warranty is granted by Smith & Wesson Corp. This warranty

is effective from the date of purchase and applies to the original

owner of any firearm. With respect to such firearms, this warranty

supersedes any and all other warranties.

Smith & Wesson firearms are warranted to be free from defects

in material and workmanship. Any such defects of which Smith &

Wesson receives written notice within one year from the date of

purchase by the original owner, will be remedied by Smith &

Wesson without charge within a reasonable time after such notification

and delivery of the firearm as provided below.

The S&W warranty doesn't always work the way most think that it does. My friend wore out a TR 325 and S&W said that the wear was normal and not a defect.

What happened to their lifetime warranty?

Edited by bountyhunter

The clip was just the first part of the warranty. Here is the warranty in full. The second part of the warranty deals with the lifetime part but also mentions that it applies to the original owner that sent in the warranty card within the first 30 days. S&W doesn't always strictly follow the written warranty but can and sometimes do. I have personally been denied service due to the written details of the warranty. When I got my second 929 and it had obvious problems I sent it back the second day I had it without firing a shot. I didn't want to play games with the warranty. They repaired it and sent it back having addressed all my issues.

Here is the warranty in full from the owner’s manual

. LIMITED WARRANTY

For Owners Within The United States.

This warranty is granted by Smith & Wesson Corp. This warranty

is effective from the date of purchase and applies to the original

owner of any firearm. With respect to such firearms, this warranty

supersedes any and all other warranties.

Smith & Wesson firearms are warranted to be free from defects

in material and workmanship. Any such defects of which Smith &

Wesson receives written notice within one year from the date of

purchase by the original owner, will be remedied by Smith &

Wesson without charge within a reasonable time after such notification

and delivery of the firearm as provided below.

In the event of an emergency (repairs needed by law enforcement,

an upcoming match or hunting trip), call 1-800-331-0852,

ext. 4125 and ask for 911 Priority Repair Service. This allows you

to speak with a Smith & Wesson representative. Immediately

upon receipt, your firearm will be assigned to a gunsmith. After

the work is completed, we will return your Smith & Wesson

firearm via overnight delivery.

Warranty claims (in writing) and the firearm concerned should be

delivered to Smith & Wesson’s Customer Service Department,

2100 Roosevelt Avenue, Springfield, Massachusetts 01104. In

addition, a copy of the bill of sale in the owner’s name, or a copy

of ATF Form 4473 indicating date of purchase must be included.

It is important that the owner comply with all applicable federal,

state and local laws and regulations in the shipment of firearms

to Smith & Wesson.

LIMITED WARRANTY CONTD

Note: See the Contact & Shipping section of this manual for

further details regarding returns.

Warranty claims should state the model and serial number of the

firearm concerned and the description of the difficulty experienced.

It is recommended that shipments be insured by the

owner, since Smith & Wesson will accept no responsibility for

loss or damage in transit. Transportation and insurance charges

for return to owner will be paid by Smith & Wesson if the claim is

covered by the warranty.

UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES SHALL SMITH & WESSON BE

RESPONSIBLE FOR INCIDENTAL OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES

WITH RESPECT TO ECONOMIC LOSS, INJURY, DEATH

OR PROPERTY DAMAGE, WHETHER AS A RESULT OF BREACH

OF THIS WARRANTY, NEGLIGENCE OR OTHERWISE.

Some States do not allow the exclusion or limitation of incidental

or consequential damages, so the above limitation or exclusion

may not apply to you.

Smith & Wesson will not be responsible for:

• Defects or malfunctions resulting from careless handling,

unauthorized adjustments or modifications made or attempted

by anyone other than a qualified gunsmith following Smith &

Wesson authorized procedures, the use or installation of any

unauthorized parts or accessories on the firearm, or failure to

follow the disassembly instructions in the Smith & Wesson

manual.

• Use of defective or improper ammunition, corrosion, neglect,

abuse, ordinary wear and tear, or unreasonable use.

• Criminal misuse, negligence or use under the influence of

drugs or alcohol.

Smith & Wesson’s Lifetime Service Policy begins after the warranty

period has expired. Smith & Wesson will repair, without

charge, for the lifetime of the original owner, any Smith & Wesson

handgun purchased on or after February 1, 1989, and any M&P

series rifles, that is found to have a defect in material or workmanship.

Eligibility for this Lifetime Service Policy requires returning

the Product Registration Card within 30 days of purchase.

The Lifetime Service Policy covers functional defects; it does not

include the firearm’s finish, grips, magazines or sights. The

Lifetime Service Policy is in addition to and not an extension of

the Smith & Wesson Warranty.

This warranty gives you specific legal rights. You may also have

other rights that vary from State to State.

While it's in vogue to criticize S&W for the QC, and their over-selling of the "tuned PC actions," much of which is justified, we really should admit they are pretty good when it comes to handling warranty claims.

It's not reasonable to expect them to honor a warranty to someone who is not the original purchaser, or to repair guns that have been heavily modified, yet they routinely do just that. On the few occasions I have sent guns back to the factory, I expected and offered to pay for repairs--I was never invoiced.

As I mentioned above, when I had an issue with a new 929 they took it back and fixed all the issues. I was happy with the repair work. I would not have bought one if I didn't think that they would make it right if there were any issues. The critical part about understanding the warranty is when purchasing a used gun. Say someone on this board buys a new S&W revolver that has a problem and doesn't want to deal with it and just sells it to one of us, we buy it with no warranty. If I see an almost new revolver for sale and it's a current offering I will buy new instead if the price is not significantly lower on the used gun. As buyers we should be aware that the used S&W guns have no warranty even if they were just bought. My first 929 was bought know those were the conditions, The first buyer had it for about a month and sold it to me because of its issues, knowing that the warranty would not apply to me I fixed the issues myself. Just make your purchases armed with the facts.

I think that warranty is whole other subject, especially when you are dealing with a product that is mostly sold to people who use it for completion. This would be like asking Schuman to warranty a barrel that you have to install correctly and promise that will never exceed the "normal" pressure for that caliber. Pistols are mechanical devices that are going to wear.