Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Primer issue?

CAB33

Can primers cause a light round?

I've had a few rounds that were light enough to not cycle the slide enough to pick up the next round.

In the last 3,000 rounds I would say I've had this happen 3 or 4 times and also had two bad primers that did not ignite.

I can only remember have a bad primer twice in 8 years(all Winchester).

I've been loading on this 550 for 8 years(500,000 rounds).

The load is 40 major, Titegroup, Winchester small pistol primers.

Powder drop looks consistent, primers are from the same box.

some one on this forum had a rifle that seemed to strike just right to light the powder a little.

I'll see in I can find the thread

does the ammo perform properly in a different pistol?

miranda

eta this is the thread...

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=212103

Edited by Miranda

I had some failures that were related to primers that were damaged buy an impact bullet puller. The rounds were made with brass that were salvaged from some .40 frangible rounds. It took a fair amount of blows to get the bullets out. I had a couple very light rounds and finally had one squib where the primer pushed out the bullet but did not light the powder! I suspected the salvaged brass and after an autopsy of a few rounds, I found that primer material had cracked out of the primers, with compound only under the anvil arms. So, yeah, primers can do what you describe. That said, I am still using WSP for most everything without any issues. The primers from those frangibles were Federal if I remember correctly.

On a major .40 ,if the powder lights, I can't see how the primer is the problem. Are you getting a full burn on your powder? Is the round that doesn't cycle, still hitting on target? Have you cleaned your powder feeder lately to make sure charges are consistent.