Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Can you clear the dots?

ArrDave

I've started trying to sneak in some live fire practice over some lunch breaks at a local indoor range so I'm limited on what I can do (all stall shooting basically), but one thing I can do is stuff from the holster, provided I stay in my little stall.

I tried shooting the dots for the first time. That's mighty humbling. Six 2" dots at 7 yards in 5 seconds par time from the holster.

Holy crap! I suck! I didn't "pass" a single dot, let alone an entire sheet. Best I could do was 4/6 honestly trying to meet the par time. 5 seconds sounds like an eternity, but I ran over twice I think. All of my misses were generally really close, if the dots were 3" I would have done better, 3.5" probably a lot better.

I'm only an EX in IDPA (can't shoot USPSA at present due to scheduling issues, or I would). Can you / have you cleared this drill? What's your "rank" in whatever discipline you shoot.

if you could consistently put 6 in the dot in 5 seconds, you would be a GM, which is like president/emperor in idpa I think.

I typically can get 4 or 5 in and 1 or 2 close (within a half inch) in just under 6 seconds. 1/3 of the time or so I get all 6 in in about that time.

there are lots of different ideas on how to use this drill concept. some suggest sticking with the 5 seconds and just shooting as many as you can get in (might only be 1 or 2 or 3 at first). I usually do 1 dot where i shoot at a pace that I'm almost certain they'll all go in, typically 10 seconds or so, then do 1 where I just draw and shoot 2 shots in the circle 5 times, noting the time. Then a few where I try to shoot all 6 shots as fast as i can see my sights enough to get most of them in, and trying to watch the sights so i'll have an idea of how I did before i look at the target. Then i usually do 1 or 2 dots weak hand only from 5 yards, with no real time limit. I have made significant improvements in this area.

I personally don't see much benefit in pushing the speed to the point where the sights aren't fully settled. What I'm trying to get from this drill is better grip and trigger control, and better sight awareness so that I can hit difficult targets when I need to, not so I can get most of my hits on difficult targets and pick up a couple mikes and no-shoots on the way. Which makes me think I should probably treat even the close misses as unsuccessful, now that I think about it.

I recently took a skills and drills class from Ben Stoeger- well worth the money by the way.

We did Bill drills, and I was ripping 1.7x's and generally feeling hardcore.

We then did dots, and I cleaned zero of them. Hurt my feelings.

I've been dry firing it hard. I am going to work on cleaning it closer in live fire, and gradually work it back.

We then did dots, and I cleaned zero of them. Hurt my feelings.

I've been dry firing it hard. I am going to work on cleaning it closer in live fire, and gradually work it back.

Yeah to say it was humbling is an understatement.

I probably will drop it to 6 initially and see how I do and adjust time up to settle out on what a solid accurate pace is or needs to be, the work on improving. Dry firing dots might be good, I will give that a whirl.

Sent from an iDevice. Please forgive any grammatical or spelling errors. If the post doesn't make sense or is not amusing then it is technology's fault and most certainly not operator error.

• 2 weeks later...

Sometimes I run two strings. One at 3 yards, which is easy to shoot clean. Then I back it up to 7 and fail to clean it, but I'm getting better. Doing it at 3 yards helps identify any little issues, like a flinch or just general idiocracy on that day. It helps build confidence.

I also like to use the Dot target to practice SHO and WHO, without the timer.

Edited by cjdaniel78

Which target are you folks using for this?

just make your own. I took a target, drew the circles equally spaced apart ( for me i used four rows of three ), then carefully cut the dots out. I say carefully, cuz you want them to be as round as you can...you know..dots!

Now you have a template. Just hold that target over a fresh one, use black spray paint, viola, you have a fresh target with 12 dots on it.

Only takes you seconds to make one and take to the range. I can use one a few times, just use some black and tan pasters before it gets too tore up. But then since you have the template, you can make a new one in seconds.

Its amazing how going from 5 yards ( not so hard ) to 7 yards ( HARD! ) changes things on this drill

Which target are you folks using for this?

Its amazing how going from 5 yards ( not so hard ) to 7 yards ( HARD! ) changes things on this drill

I don't know what all the fuss is about. I can pretty much clear the dots at will... even at 150 yards... with my scoped varmint AR... from a bench rest... That counts right?

Edited by lucky #7

What is a good distance for doing this with a dot gun? I tried it for the first time with my open gun the other day and didn't find it to be terrible difficult, I only dropped 2 out of the circles and the light was fading fast so I was rushing. Is 10 yards a better distance for an open gun?

What is a good distance for doing this with a dot gun? I tried it for the first time with my open gun the other day and didn't find it to be terrible difficult, I only dropped 2 out of the circles and the light was fading fast so I was rushing. Is 10 yards a better distance for an open gun?

There isn't a good distance per se. As you "clear" the dots at a particular distance you move back another few yards. Dropping two is not clearing the dots so you have work to do at your current distance albeit not much work. This exercise is as much about patience and mental focus as it is about pure accuracy.

Once at the end of last season I cleaned it at 7 yards and I haven't been able to clean it since. I usually drop one or two. I also tend to shoot a bit faster than I need to and finish at 4.3 to 4.5 seconds. Seems harder indoors due to lighting.

Production A. Love the dots.

post-2465-0-12640500-1454295440_thumb.jp

Edited by zen_grasshopper

With a dot gun I would probably keep the distance the same and lower the par time.

I will try that next time, probably drop down to 4 seconds and see how it feels. I'm certain if I had taken the full 5 seconds per string and collected myself between strings I would have shot it clean. We just were running desperately out of light and I wanted to give it a try.

A flat 20% off the top of a little excessive I think. Lower it by maybe a quarter second everytime you do it successfully.

If you can't run 36/36 (6 clean runs in a row) on demand at 5 seconds, I wouldn't lower the par time until you can.

Edited by Jake Di Vita

A flat 20% off the top of a little excessive I think. Lower it by maybe a quarter second everytime you do it successfully.

If you can't run 36/36 (6 clean runs in a row) on demand at 5 seconds, I wouldn't lower the par time until you can.

I will give it a try next time I'm at the range and see what happens. At 5 seconds though it felt almost lazy, but I guess I did drop a couple. More work is in order I suppose. What are you shooting them Jake?

I shot Dots the other day. I wasn't able to clear the dots but I did notice that almost all my shots were touching but they were all low. I have been training with a gun and new load for that gun, so I'm hoping that is the gun hitting low and I need to adjust the sight or the load a little. Otherwise Dots are a great test of a lot of different things.

Tried it today for the first time. With my SS 45, I went 5/6 on 4 dots, 6/6 on 1 dot, and 1/6 on the last dot. I averaged about 4.6 seconds. On the last dot the guy in the bay beside me cut loose and I lost focus. There might be something to this practice stuff. I think I'll try it a little this season.

Dot Torture is a great practice......I recommend you shoot it any way you want to......It is a great feeling as you see yourself improve each time you do it at each trip to the range...great for indoor ranges. It is also great for shooting that pistol that you don't shoot as well as some of your other pistols.... Cmax B)

• 2 weeks later...

Dot Torture is a great practice......I recommend you shoot it any way you want to......It is a great feeling as you see yourself improve each time you do it at each trip to the range...great for indoor ranges. It is also great for shooting that pistol that you don't shoot as well as some of your other pistols.... Cmax B)

Dots and dot torture are two different drills amigo.