Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

38super vs super comp

Cundiff5535

I am having two custom 1911's built. One of the smiths told me he tunes the extractor for 38 super comp unless the customer otherwise asks for it not to be. The other smith told me he typically tunes for standard 38 super.

For the sake of reloading... anyone have thoughts and/or advise on what to do? One of each, both comp, both standard?

I tries 38 Sup through my DVC and had to switch to 38 SC. It runs a lot better. It no longer has feeding issues. In my Hornady press, 38 SC uses the same shellplate as 223 but I can use the same one as 9mm/38 Sup. I ordered from Starline for brass. Quick and free shipping.

Edited by MrRick

Same loads for .38Super. Only significant difference is the rim or lack of with SC.

In a 1911, capacity is going to be the same between the 2. In a 2011, the lack of 28+ other rims may allow an extra round in a big stick.

Id go with supercomp. Stacks in mags better and can use 9mm shell plate on your press

I just picked up my first open gun and am starting to get everything set up to load for 38s/sc. I called dillon today to order new dies for my 550 they said that 38 super uses the same shell plate as 9mm/40. They said that the 38 SC uses the same shell plate as 223.

Id go with supercomp. Stacks in mags better and can use 9mm shell plate on your press

I just picked up my first open gun and am starting to get everything set up to load for 38s/sc. I called dillon today to order new dies for my 550 they said that 38 super uses the same shell plate as 9mm/40. They said that the 38 SC uses the same shell plate as 223.

I use a rcbs pro 2000.

38 super won't fit in my 9mm plate at all.

Super comp works perfect in the 9mm plate.

In my Hornady I can use both for SC. With the 9mm plate the SC brass will have some wiggle room and sometimes the primes will not line up with the brass. For 38 Sup I use the 9mm plate.

Edited by MrRick

In my 650 supercomp was fine with the 9mm/38s plate.

With my 1050 it gets crushed quite a bit. If you have a 9mm shellplate id try it first. Esp on a 550 with no case feeder.

The advantage of using the 223 shell plate for 38 SC--only 38SC makes it into the shell plate. Many extractors do not function for both calibers. If you buy new brass, then 9/38 shell plate is ok.

Cundiff

Make sure your not using loads for Major Comp Guns in you non compensated 1911

I run SC in my 1911, just easier to keep up with

My 550 want the 223 shell plate and as mentioned it sorts out the stray 38super brass so your extractors don't have to deal with it

With that said my guns have AFTEC extractors and will run both, even though aftec sells two different extractors for the different cases

Hope that makes sense