Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

NEW: Walther Q5 Match - New awesome production guns showing up everywh

EngineerEli

• Replies 397
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Received my SS guiderod today that I ordered directly from them.  Fast delivery and great service.  I asked them to ship it to me without the spring installed.  

I installed a new 13lb IMSI Glock spring.   I am concerned that it might be a little bit too light.   If I do a press check even without a round in the barrel it returns slowly. 

If I try the Glock recoil test of holding trigger back with the muzzle pointing straight up, the slide does not always return to full battery.   Not exactly sure if this test is also valid with a PPQ. 

I will order and try a 15lb spring. 

I noticed some are using a spring for a Wilson gun.  Is there any reason this would perform different than the Glock spring?

On 11/1/2017 at 8:09 PM, brianr34 said:

Received my SS guiderod today that I ordered directly from them.  Fast delivery and great service.  I asked them to ship it to me without the spring installed.  

I installed a new 13lb IMSI Glock spring.   I am concerned that it might be a little bit too light.   If I do a press check even without a round in the barrel it returns slowly. 

If I try the Glock recoil test of holding trigger back with the muzzle pointing straight up, the slide does not always return to full battery.   Not exactly sure if this test is also valid with a PPQ. 

I noticed some are using a spring for a Wilson gun.  Is there any reason this would perform different than the Glock spring?

I have a similar situation with the Sprinco set. I called it in my previous posts here "sloppy at battery". When I do press check, the slide barely returns to battery. When I reload hard, the slide oscillates by its own wight and force applied by the reloading. Surprisingly, I have had no problem in shooting so far but ordered a slightly stronger spring (Yellow) from Sprinco and will check it out next week. 

There is a higher tension at battery with the ZRT rod and 1911 13lb spring but still, it is kind of sloppy compared to what I am used to with Tanfo (12lb spring).

Edited by jaep1911

On 11/1/2017 at 7:09 PM, brianr34 said:

The M&P and Glock IMSI 13lb springs that I have on hand feel identical in the PPQ to a Wilson flat-wire 1911 spring of the same weight.

It does feel light while in battery. Don’t overthink it and shoot the gun like that: mine runs all day long.

factory guns tend to be oversprung as they need to be able to handle all factory ammo. For gamers we tend to load soft shooting ammo that make the rules for the game we are playing.
Often this ammo doesnt have enough bang to cycle.
Another part of spring tuning is slide slamming forward. A heavier spring will slam harder and can cause your muzzle to dip slowing down follow up shots.,, Or causing them to hit low.
Plus they wear out and need replacing.  Although like tuning anything, changing part A can have an effect on part b.

• 3 weeks later...

What holsters are people using for the Q5? I’m looking for something for USPSA and 3 gun (maybe a retention holster for 3 gun?) as well as possibly a carry holster for the winter months. 

So far, I’ve seen:

Red Hill Tactical

Dara Holsters

Comp-Tac (“international” model)

Thoughts?

22 hours ago, Brophy-J said:

I was thinking it might not be a bad idea to have an extra set of fiber for the front sight. Anyone know what diameter size I should get for the stock LPA front sight?

I can’t help. I replaced mine with a Dawson right away. Like everyone should, the factory fiber is too big and the sight post too wide.

50 minutes ago, DKorn said:

What holsters are people using for the Q5? I’m looking for something for USPSA and 3 gun (maybe a retention holster for 3 gun?) as well as possibly a carry holster for the winter months. 

So far, I’ve seen:

Red Hill Tactical

Dara Holsters

Thoughts?

RHT on a BOSS hanger.

Fits the gun perfectly. Rock solid.

2 hours ago, DKorn said:

So far, I’ve seen:

Red Hill Tactical

Dara Holsters

Thoughts?

I'm using a Blade-Tech on a BOSS hanger and it's fine. I originally ordered a Comp-Tac since I really liked the Sig one I've used for a couple of years, but it must have been a lemon because it didn't fit and I had to return it. 

I had tried this from my friend's new toy box.

Honestly, Q5 match is not made for me. Point of aim is not natural to me. When I present the gun, the front sight is almost always buried under the rare sight. 

It could be my grip is so used to CZ grip. And this grip, man, I can't feel the under cut. 

Interesting. I came from a Tanfoglio, and found the gun indexed even more naturally than it did.

From my experience making large grip angle changes like switching from Glock to M&P? I didn’t worry about it “pointing naturally” as I do not believe that’s a thing: I feel dryfire practice trains you in how to index a particular firearm.

However you went on to say it basically doesn’t fit your hands, and that is a different matter entirely.

Ahh, I have to say I don’t have habit of hitting the slide release. The Q5 slide release hide pretty well. It could be mag issue because I only use one mag, and have no way to compare. 

The slide does slam close most of time. It could be me because I slams hard on every gun in my hand. 

Edited by williamL

Has everyone come to the conclusion that the best 140 mm base pads for the Q5 are the a Taran Tactical ones, possibly with the addition of the Grams P320 follower (if you’re ok with them not locking back)? I’m getting ready to order a set and want to make sure I get the best ones.