Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Looking to get a 550B - questions about dies

I've been reloading for about 7 years on a single stage press.

Until last year when I started competing I was fairly low volume...reloading mainly for hunting and lower volume plinking. Now I'm shooting faster than I can reload, so I'm looking to get a Dillon 550B.

I've used Redding dies almost exclusively.

My question is with the powder drop.

Would I have to get a different expander die that is a powder drop expander?

Would the dies I alreadt have work?

Should I just get the Dillon dies?

Edited by LeviSS

Maybe I'm confused.

Don't you have to use a powder through expander die for the machine to charge the round automatically?

The Dillon expander would accomplish this, right?

I guess I'm confused about using my Redding expander die, how it works with the powder drop.

Is the Dillon "powder die" that come with the press the part that expands and controls the powder dropping?

Edited by LeviSS

The "powder die" contains the powder funnel for whichever caliber you're loading. A caliber conversion contains powder funnel, shell plate & locator buttons that are caliber-specific. You can change calibers and still use the same "powder die" but it's easier to get a separate tool head for each caliber, leaving the dies set on each.

Ok. Thanks guys. I think I get the picture now. I couldn't figure out how I was going to use my Redding expander die and get it to work with the powder drop.

So really the only dies that I will need to supply are a sizer, seater, and crimp die?

Edited by LeviSS

Ok. Thanks guys. I think I get the picture now. I couldn't figure out how I was going to use my Redding expander die and get it to work with the powder drop.

So really the only dies that I will need to supply are a sizer, seated, and crimp die?

Correct!

LeviSS,

I use Redding dies in my Dillons almost exclusively. That is 4 550s and a 650. I would go to the Dillon website and download the manual for the 550 and as it shows how to setup the machine, you will get a better understanding of what dies you will need. Redding sells a series of dies called the Competiton Pro Series, I believe, that is geared toward use in a progressive press. It does not come with expander die.

Check your Redding "CARBIDE" die and make sure there is a bevel where the case goes into it

I have an old set of 38/357 dies that the carbide ring is so straight that it won't work smoothly with a progressive press.

you can polish/ fine grind the carbide but it a pain

Might be worth getting a set of dies made for progressive presses

Get the 550, I think I have 3 different brands of dies on mine. Then get a 650 and keep the 550 for a back up!

That's kinda my plan...550 to load several different cartridges, then possibly upgrade down the road if I feel the desire.

So really the only dies that I will need to supply are a sizer, seater, and crimp die?

By the time you buy those, you might as well just get a set of Dillon dies. They are set up for use on Dillon presses.

By the time you buy those, you might as well just get a set of Dillon dies. They are set up for use on Dillon presses.

I already have these except the $30 taper crimp die.

If your going to reload one caliber in mass go with a 650. If like myself you reload many calibers 550 is great. You can use any standard thread dies in these two dillions. You will have to buy the caliber conversion kit and it comes with the powder funnel/expander so you should be all set. I went from a single stage to a 550 and love it. If your does have a seprate crimp die even better, but it works fine when you seat and crimp. If my primer tubes are full, I can kick out 500 in an hour (I only have 5 tubes of each size).