Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Fitness

JerryShoots

Keep it up!

I got started running 35 years ago and never looked back. After a couple of years, I settled in on 52 miles a week on a 7 days a week schedule and only recently, at the age of 75 had to back off to a walking regimen. B)

Since I started eating right and working out / running in April I have lost over 70 pounds! I feel absolutely phenomenal! No fad diet either just healthy organic food and lots of running 8)

Nice work!

And, the older you get the more important it is to make the changes you made a way of life.

Since I started eating right and working out / running in April I have lost over 70 pounds! I feel absolutely phenomenal! No fad diet either just healthy organic food and lots of running 8)

Great for you. The secret is to realize that diet is just a four letter word and doomed to fail, but adjusting life parameters can have a huge effect.

Not trying to be a wet blanket because fitness is important, and you're doing a great job, but consider cutting back on the running and substituting a bicycle instead. Much less stress on the knees and you'll be much less a candidate for knee replacement in your 60's. No need asking how I came to this conclusion.

Also, while running/cycling are excellent cardio exercises, don't neglect the rest of your body. A cheap set of weights along with various exercises will help keep the rest of you in shape. Getting into an exercise routine is important, but changing what you do during that routine is just as important as it keeps it interesting.

All this advice is coming from an old man who abused his body when younger and is now paying the price. Golden years my ass - growing old ain't for sissies, especially if you were stupid in your youth.

• 4 weeks later...