Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Converting 9mm to 40 single stack

jimbullet

I have been contemplating on a new project. Given the limited availability of 40 cal single stack 1911s out there, I am thinking of building one. I have a Springfield Armory Loaded 1911 in 9mm. Would it be possible to convert this into a 40 cal?

I would need to change the entire upper I would imagine, i.e. slide, barrel as well as the ejector. Is it possible?

Cheers

I have been contemplating on a new project. Given the limited availability of 40 cal single stack 1911s out there, I am thinking of building one. I have a Springfield Armory Loaded 1911 in 9mm. Would it be possible to convert this into a 40 cal?

I would need to change the entire upper I would imagine, i.e. slide, barrel as well as the ejector. Is it possible?

Cheers

Guaranteed possible. I did the exact same thing when I had a .40 top end built to go on my 9mm Trojan.

I had it done by a gunsmith and it ended up costing about 75% of what a new gun would cost. I had to do it tht way because the guns are no longer legal to purchase here in kali. For you, buying a second used gun probably makes more sense (unless you can do the work yourself). YMMV

On mine, had to go with complete upper (slide/barrel assembly) but bottom end remains the same. Didn't need to change ejector or slide stop between calibers.

Edited by bountyhunter

You really can't do 40 and 45 on the same lower because, unlike 9 and 40, the ejectors are different. If you want to switch ejectors every time you change calibers, that will work. But it's a bit of a chore, and beyond what most folks are willing (or able) to do.

I'm using a para frame so both barrel are ramp. Gun is currently set as 45, I will find out soon if the 40 upper will work, if not I guess I just have to change the ejector when switching uppers.

Cheers

I have a Para Pro comp 40 slide here with sights already, I was planning of doing a single stack 40 project lastyear but then its hard to buy a frame because i live in california, pm me. thanks

Cheers

I have a Para Pro comp 40 slide here with sights already, I was planning of doing a single stack 40 project lastyear but then its hard to buy a frame because i live in california, pm me. thanks

PM sent