Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Peaky Blinders

benos

In season 1, episode 5... When the cops are busting into the bar to get Thomas, and they timed that with the White Stripe's "Little Cream Soda" - that might have been the best placement of any song in any soundtrack of any show, ever.

In season 1, episode 5... When the cops are busting into the bar to get Thomas, and they timed that with the White Stripe's "Little Cream Soda" - that might have been the best placement of any song in any soundtrack of any show, ever.

The above was after watching that episode on amazon (didn't know it was a netflix show then). The when I re-watched the same episode with Candis, at the same point in the show but this time on netflix, the soundtrack was not the White Stripes. (We both commented that the song sounded a little bit like Queens of the Stone Age.) What's up with that? I didn't know a show could have different soundtracks depending on "where" you watched it.

Any of you folks watch "Hell On Wheels" on NetFlix?

I really liked it at its beginning, but as the seasons went on it totally fizzled out for me. I was done with it at the end of the last episode of the last (aired) season.

Was intrigued by Peaky Blinders. Thanks for the recommendation. Will start watching.

Any of you folks watch "Hell On Wheels" on NetFlix?

Good show with good characters. Watch it.

It did enter into formulaic territory in the last aired season, but it is still enjoyable.

Merry Christmas folks!

Edited by Yeti

I was born and raised in Birmingham so being reacquainted with the accent and local slang was a big part of the enjoyment for me. My dentist is also from Birmingham and has gypsy blood. We started talking about the show and reverted to broad Birmingham accents much to the confusion of her nurses.

Though the peeky blinders gang existed the plots are pretty far fetched but fun to watch nevertheless.

Back in the early 70's I worked with a guy who was on the fringes of the Birmingham underworld in the 50's and 60's. I remember him telling me that the Peeky blinder (who had long disappeared by that time) not only sewed razor blades in their caps but also in their jacket lapels. Bar fighting often involved grabbing jacket lapels to facilitate a head but - sometimes called a Glaswegian Kiss. Would have been an effective defence I think.

Peter

• 2 weeks later...