Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9mm AR questions

Sarge

This is going on the span of about 10 years....back when I first joined this site back in 2005....but there have probably been about 5 people I have PM'ed over the years who were both Open shooters with their 9mm Major guns and they had mentioned out on the public forum here that they had a 9mm AR. So the reason I PM'ed them was to ask if they had shot their Open gun's 9mm Major rounds through their AR's. All of them said yes, and all of them said they never ran into any problems with malfunctions.

I would guess in theory, a 115 grain bullet loaded with a really slow powder would be the best way to gain any velocity shooting it through a 16 inch barrel (versus say a 5 inch barrel).

Besides, I would think 115's are cheaper.

My old "production" load of 147gr Montana Gold's (it's almost like a flat point) run just fine.

Not sure if you were responding to me or not but I was talking about self defense loads ballistics and performance from the AR. Every gun I own except for my open guns is kept locked and loaded at home and would serve in an emergency. I'm sure just about any 9mm round would work in an AR but was curious about optimum self defense performance.

Kevin, some years ago when we were testing different duty ammo, we shot Winchester 127gr.+p+ thru an MP5 into ballistic gelatin. This load was the old Black Talon bullet, the boxes were marked LEO only, so I'm not sure if it's on the open market. A dozen of those sharp nasties in a block of gelatin was a sight to behold. I'd assume they would be similar shot thru a 9mm AR. My Oly 9mm upper handled my open gun ammo just fine. There isn't much love for the Oly pattern AR, but mine is a sewing machine. I used to shoot it at the old Oxford rifle side matches.

My minor loads worked fine. Self defense loads worked fine as well. I was reading something on other forums about ballistics of SD loads and believe they are leaning towards hot 115's. Just not sure why?

Heavy pistol? Hell, it's heavy for a rifle? Much heavier than my other AR.

The hot 115s in sd ammo (from what I have learn) is designed to give some knock down power to stop attack and to let them know they are hit. In short barrels it keeps the bullet straight since it really doesn't have long enough barrel time to get a good spin. I use corbon +P in my shield and have no problem hitting target at 50m, not a bullseye gun but it does the job. I think standard loads should work in an ar9.

Sarge, your post made me chuckle, I had the mental image of repelling a red dawn commy invasion with the tiny Jimmy Cricket 22 that I first taught my kids to shoot when they where little. Pop, rack, pull 22 short from pocket, rack, pull back the cocker, pop.... Repeat until the Wolverines arrive. If the comrades from North Korea decide to parachute into my neck of the woods, I think I will reach past the J.C. and choose a more suitable tool to defend my life, fortune, and sacred honor.

Kevin, some years ago when we were testing different duty ammo, we shot Winchester 127gr.+p+ thru an MP5 into ballistic gelatin. This load was the old Black Talon bullet, the boxes were marked LEO only, so I'm not sure if it's on the open market. A dozen of those sharp nasties in a block of gelatin was a sight to behold. I'd assume they would be similar shot thru a 9mm AR. My Oly 9mm upper handled my open gun ammo just fine. There isn't much love for the Oly pattern AR, but mine is a sewing machine. I used to shoot it at the old Oxford rifle side matches.

The black talon is still on the market they just sell it under the ranger name and no black. The black talon is nothing special, it is just the first round on the market to have a nice blossom and did what most hollow points do today. I have some that came with a gun I bought and thought "WOW they might be worth something" no nothing special now.

I shoot Buffalo Bore 115gr +P+ through my JP GMR-13 upper based 9mm AR. Not only is it VERY accurate (1 1/2" five shot groups at 50 yards with a 1X Prismatic sight) it runs flawlessly through the rig. This is my HD load.

For steel shoots and range fun, I just shoot WWB 115gr ammo and it runs like a top as well.

As a side note, I am using the JP SCS in it.

Edited by BigBamBoo

I have PM'ed over the years who were both Open shooters with their 9mm Major guns and they had mentioned out on the public forum here that they had a 9mm AR. So the reason I PM'ed them was to ask if they had shot their Open gun's 9mm Major rounds through their AR's. All of them said yes, and all of them said they never ran into any problems with malfunctions.

Thanks. I was on a bus ride home and was curious about whether you can use a 9 major round in a 9mm AR as I'm waiting to complete the assembly for mine. I figure I would stop here first to look and this topic was the first one in the section.

This is going on the span of about 10 years....back when I first joined this site back in 2005....but there have probably been about 5 people I have PM'ed over the years who were both Open shooters with their 9mm Major guns and they had mentioned out on the public forum here that they had a 9mm AR. So the reason I PM'ed them was to ask if they had shot their Open gun's 9mm Major rounds through their AR's. All of them said yes, and all of them said they never ran into any problems with malfunctions.

I would guess in theory, a 115 grain bullet loaded with a really slow powder would be the best way to gain any velocity shooting it through a 16 inch barrel (versus say a 5 inch barrel).

Besides, I would think 115's are cheaper.

My old "production" load of 147gr Montana Gold's (it's almost like a flat point) run just fine.

Not sure if you were responding to me or not but I was talking about self defense loads ballistics and performance from the AR. Every gun I own except for my open guns is kept locked and loaded at home and would serve in an emergency. I'm sure just about any 9mm round would work in an AR but was curious about optimum self defense performance.

Hornady XTP's ran just fine through my 9mmAR. I haven't tried any other premium hollow point ammo.

• 1 month later...

New to 9mm ARs. The ASC 32 round mag that came with the gun is extremely hard to seat on a closed bolt. Down loading to an odd number helps a bit, but it still takes a very hard whack to lock. Is there something to check/ tune with these or is this just something to get used to?