Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

the election

Nimitz

IBTL

I don't understand. Are we not allowed to discuss the USPSA presidential election in the..... wait for it...... USPSA forum?

Anyway, I'm glad Mike won. I think he's the leadership the organization needs to fix HQ and has the vision to guide the BoD in the appropriate direction.

I appreciate and like all of the candidates who ran. I've had the pleasure to interact with all at some level. All are good folks who stepped up to take on a difficult task. Tip o' the hat to each of you.

:cheers:

Discussing the abysmally low number of respondents seems OK to me.

Those who are offended by those comments and (1) didn't vote when given the opportunity or, (2) aren't members with voting privileges, SHOULD be offended...by their own inaction and apathy.

IBTL

I don't understand. Are we not allowed to discuss the USPSA presidential election in the..... wait for it...... USPSA forum?

Anyway, I'm glad Mike won. I think he's the leadership the organization needs to fix HQ and has the vision to guide the BoD in the appropriate direction.

Well, another thread got locked about the election because it talked about the organization needing fixed. But wait, you just said the same thing!

Hmmmmmm

Kevin,

Your comments are not so much about the poor turnout for the election run-off as they are about the Moderation of this forum (an action that doesn't involve you).

Let's stay on topic, OK?

Sure

IBTL

Definitely

I am one of the couple of thousand +- that voted. I do have to wonder about why the other 20k +- didn't.

Was voting too hard? I don't think so, it took no more than a minute or two.

Most members have no interaction with HQ so they don't care?

Most member don't shoot anything other than local matches?

Most members think the election doesn't make a difference?

Anyway, for whatever reason the people that didn't vote let a couple thousand of us choose their clubs leadership. Thanks!

I am one of the couple of thousand +- that voted. I do have to wonder about why the other 20k +- didn't.

Was voting too hard? I don't think so, it took no more than a minute or two.

Most members have no interaction with HQ so they don't care?

Most member don't shoot anything other than local matches?

Most members think the election doesn't make a difference?

Anyway, for whatever reason the people that didn't vote let a couple thousand of us choose their clubs leadership. Thanks!

Agreed. But keep in mind that's not too far off from how many vote in any election. Even country wide elections are very low turnout.

I think HQ should have said we were also voting on raising membership fees to $500 per year, then EVERYBODY would have voted. lol

I think low voting turnout is a sign that:

1) there may be more members than active members

2) problems with USPSA may be overblown on the internet

3) for most people shooting local matches, things are going fine and the things that are really problematic to some people have less of an effect on day to day life of the average USPSA shooter

So no problem. Organizations should always work to improve at all times. None is perfect and perfection is a worthy goal. It is also helpful to remember all the things the USPSA community (members who run/shoot matches every day and send in scores, etc) does RIGHT and keep it all in perspective.

Kevin,

Your comments are not so much about the poor turnout for the election run-off as they are about the Moderation of this forum (an action that doesn't involve you).

Let's stay on topic, OK?

so don't talk about why we can't talk about some things?

lol.

I voted, btw, and encouraged everyone around me to vote. Most of them said they did.

I think low voting turnout is a sign that:

1) there may be more members than active members

2) problems with USPSA may be overblown on the internet

3) for most people shooting local matches, things are going fine and the things that are really problematic to some people have less of an effect on day to day life of the average USPSA shooter

So no problem. Organizations should always work to improve at all times. None is perfect and perfection is a worthy goal. It is also helpful to remember all the things the USPSA community (members who run/shoot matches every day and send in scores, etc) does RIGHT and keep it all in perspective.

Spot on.

The average USPSA member shows up for the monthly club match and that is the sum total of the involvement in the .org.

It's probably safe to say thousands of members didn't even know there was an election.

I have plenty of shooters in my neck of the woods who don't do forums, FB, etc. part of that is due to the typical shooter not being a 20 something year old.

Kevin,

Let's stay on topic, OK?

lol.

I voted, btw, and encouraged everyone around me to vote. Most of them said they did.[/quote

PM sent

Kevin,

Let's stay on topic, OK?

lol.

I voted, btw, and encouraged everyone around me to vote. Most of them said they did.

PM sent

it would be interesting to see how many shooters who have been members for say at least 3 years have never attended anything other than a local match ... the percentage would probably be shockingly high ... maybe upwards of 90%. And how many members have never been classified. also, how many members elect not get get FS magazine ...

Edited by Nimitz

It's probably safe to say thousands of members didn't even know there was an election.

I have plenty of shooters in my neck of the woods who don't do forums, FB, etc. part of that is due to the typical shooter not being a 20 something year old.

I'm at a loss here, don't members get ballots in the mail?

I'm at a loss here, don't members get ballots in the mail?
Yes, but it blends in well with refinance offers, discount coupon flyers and other assorted junk mail. :)

And don't forget the apathy factor. How many of us are really connected and actively involved in USPSA discussion on a daily basis? A few hundred?

I was surprised by the low turnout on the initial election and the run-off as well. Its expected from a normal political election but I figured we as the shooting community would be better.

I think the cause is just not caring enough to do it, plain and simple. I was chatting with a CRO friend of mine after the first one's terrible return and he admitted that he hadn't voted. Said he wasn't sure who to vote to because he hadn't heard anything they were standing on and hadn't bothered to dig for info. I'm not a betting man (all the time) but I'm sure he didn't vote in the run-off either. Its that basic attitude thats the problem. They like pistol shooting on the weekends but just dont care about much on the HQ level