Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How Would You Build A Heavy Metal Ar?

dghboy315

Get an Eagle Arms lower, JP trigger, flattop receiver, 18-20" barrel, free float tube, front sight base with globe front sight, carry handle or YHM rear sight.

DPMS rifles are all the wrong length or barrel profile. Armalites cost too much.

Get an Eagle Arms lower, JP trigger, flattop receiver, 18-20" barrel, free float tube, front sight base with globe front sight, carry handle or YHM rear sight.

DPMS rifles are all the wrong length or barrel profile. Armalites cost too much.

You know, I put my AR15 together. It is a good learning experience. I originally designed it for CMP type competition, and then after picking up Matt Burkett's AR15 DVD, discovered 3gun. It kind of changed a bit after that. I have a 20" stainless barrel on mine, and I can tell you one thing, the front end is HEAVY. My buddy has a CAR-15 he built as a replica, and it is nice and light When you move up to the higher caliber you are going to hang more metal out there. I think I would suggest more on the 18" length.

I was curious about the Free Float tube, though. I know in the CMP style competion, when you spend 1 minute to fire 1 bullet, the free float tube helps keep things more accurate. Does the slight MOA difference, on an action rifle, really matter?

Depending on the rules (which change from club to club/week to week) you could use the 7.62x39mm AR-15 upper. If Major PF is a criteria, take a look at Wolf 150 Grn ammo; from a 20" barrel it should excede major. The 30 round magazines in this caliber are NOT relaible loaded to 30 rounds. Lucky for you, most he-man rules allow no more than 20 rounds in a mag and at that low number of rounds loaded, they become fairly reliable.

Otherwise, if .308 is your caliber, get an Eagle Arms AR-10 lower & an upper with a 16" barrel w/ fiberglass free float tube would be a good place to start.

Armalite and Eagle Arms AR-10s have some annoying issues related to their modified M-14 magazines. Pass.

Still, you have a couple of choices.

- Buy a JP/Bushmaster BAR-10.

- Use a stock Bushmaster BAR-10 with a trigger job, and maybe a float tube.

- DPMS Panther .308 with your choice of lightweight barrel. That might be my first choice.

- Chris

Save even more pennies and call DPMS. My HMR as shot at SMM3G was less than 1250 bones.

18" LR 308

Add long handguard

Add front sight base and sight.

Rear sight.

JP trigger

I replaced the Miculek comp as I was under the impression that the 1.3" dia. comp was outside the rules.

Even better, DPMS now offers the A3 flat top in 308.

Add sights trigger and go!

PK

PK,

How do you rate the your M1A Scout rifle against the DPMS? I shot my M1A Scout at SMM3G and thought it worked fine. Stages 7 and 8 were the high points of the match for me, the rest worked out to be my normal average stuff.

I other words should I get the Bushmaster I have my eye on.

I know, the default answer is yes.

Art

AR 308 vs. M1A......I love my SA Scout Squad. It is, IMHO the HM war club. They handle great and with the sights closer to the bore a perceptable edge can be gained on close targets and don't forget the COOL factor! Plenty accurate enough for our competition out of the box. Good sights, and can be had with a good trigger. Reliable and fun at speed. That said, I have a hard time maintaining proper cheek weld with the factory stock. My group centers change with positon changes. A www.defensiveedge.net cheek piece and or a globe front sight should help fix that, but I still don't have the dexterity to reload the thing as fast as the AR platform 308. Another AR edge is its modularity. Anything breaks or goes south and a drop in fix is waiting in my shooting bag. If I could wear out a barrel, in 15 minutes a new one is installed at home! I am a stock crawler, that is not a problem with the AR but crawl up too close to the sights on an M1A and that big square receiver will punch you in the nose!

Now if you want to compare AR 308's then DPMS still gets my vote. Best bang for the buck. Does the best of what all the rest can do for less!

I still want to put some time behind the FAL. The "other" Kelly (Neal) can't be wrong.

Hope that helps.

PK

Mr. Kelley:

I have a DPMS .308 on order right now. My question is about the handguard. You would add the long hand guard. Why?

Is it for the reliability with longer gas tube? Better to protect your hand from barrel heat when shooting (I see from the video clips you extend your weak hand far down the hand guard)? Or is there another reason.

Everything else is already in my order. The only other thing I did was have the barrel fluted for weight reduction. Would this be a good idea?

As for the compensator, I ordered the Miculek. You state this may not be allowed by the rules. Is this true? What comp. did you replace it with?

Thanks in advance for the help.

As for the compensator, I ordered the Miculek.  You state this may not be allowed by the rules.  Is this true?  What comp. did you replace it with?

Under USPSA Limited and Tactical Division rules, the comp can be no more than 3" long and 1" in diameter. IIRC, the old SOF 3-gun match had similar rules. Some matches run under the IMG banner might have a similar rule, though the SMM3G and DPMS Tri-Gun matches do not, as far as I can tell.

i talked to tim at JP rifles the other day and he recommended to buy DPMS 18" and then send it to JP for their package. they will be coming out w/ a new handguard for ar-10 which is 2" in diameter in stead of 2 3/4 inches. it will be maybe out in a month.

he said there were a few issues w/ bushmasters b/c their receivers are 1" longer to accomodate the FN mags. this can also affect the charging handle. and they are more expensive.

the best value and quality was the DPMS.

Hello:

I have a Bushmaster BAR-10 flat top 16 inch carbine that I did quite well with at the SMM3G. It functioned without a fault and is quite accurate. FN FAL magzines are cheap and available and might come close to making up the cost difference between a BAR-10 and other less expensive AR-10's that have more expensive and difficult to get magazines. The mags also work in my FAL carbine backup gun.

I also like the fact that it has a forward assist even though it is not all that necessary.

there is no problem with the BAR-10's receiver length. When I place my identically configured Colt's AR-15 next to my BAR-10 the grips and triggers and charging handles align with both guns. Where the BAR-10 stretches out is in the magazine well area because of the size of the magazines to hold .308 rounds. Overall, the BAR-10's barrel only extends 2 inches futher than the AR-15's.

One of the posts on this line mentioned a scope for Heavy Metal/He-Man. At the moment the only sanctioning body/group of rules that recognizes HM/H-M is the International Multi-Gun Association (IMGA). these rules are used at the SMM3G and in very slightly modified form by RM3G and the DPMS Tri-Gun matches. Scopes are verboten in HM/H-M!

The ultimate AR-10's are currently being built by JP IMHO, although I'm sure Benny Hill and others can do equally as well. I just wish I could afford one of those tricked out .308 blasters.

Best to all,

Darrell

I could not decide exactly what I wanted or needed in a .308 for Heavy Metal division. I called Dustin at DPMS and gave him some ideas from this thread. He put together a nice one for me.

18" barrel, gas block with rails and front sight, rear sight on flat top. Surprised to find the upper to have a foward assist and a dust cover. JP Trigger, long handguard and several 20 rd. mags.

200 trouble free rounds in two days practice, first 3-gun coming up on Sunday.

I haven't put the gun on a scale but found it very easy to handle and very little recoil. I am used to shooting an M-14 and find this weapon lighter and quicker handling, with less recoil. Enough accuracy to keep all shots in the A zone at 100 yrds. while leaning over the hood of my truck. I have the feeling that if I were to scope it, it would be a real shooter.

Mr. Kelley:

If I remember correctly the bill was about $1200.00. I went without the cryo on the barrel and I also left off the fluting of the barrel. Quite a bit of weight out front but really seems to keep the muzzle bounce to a minimum. Yet the muzzle feels pretty nimble between targets. Time will tell if I will need to put it on a diet or not.

It looks a lot like the one you are shooting in the video clips on www.multigun.com. I am assuming this is you anyway. Great shooting.

For the pump I went with the HK Fabarms FP6. Pistol grip stock and Choate 8+1 extention. I liked this gun because it will unlock the bolt as the round gets fired, like the Winchester 1300.

For the handgun I use an Entreprise hi-cap .45 1911.

I will see how the system works for me this Sunday (04-10-05). A small 3-gun shoot at the Del-Tone-Luth range, same range the DPMS Tri-gun Challenge is at.

One of the reasons I went with DPMS is that I only live 30 miles away from the company. Our Police Department also runs two M-4's built by DPMS. Very nice weapons. I think the company really does a good job.

Some people recommended examination of the magazines. Bushmaster and DPMS seems to be ruling in the .308 class of AR. But they use different magazines. That might be the issue which tilts your decision one way or the other.

If it is for competition, the most reliable magazines seems to make the difference between 1st place and all the others.