Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

STI 2011 light and smeared primer strikes

Speedsouthshooting

Cross posted from General gunsmithing.

My 2011 .38 super is running about 50% light primer strikes. I've used Atlanta arms ammo major pf as well as reloaded rounds as low as 140 pf. I've also used my same ammo through a new sti open gun and it runs flawlessly. The rounds that fire show a smeared primer strike on the spent primer. Stronger firing pin spring? Heavier mainspring? Different firing pin? The Gun is as is STI. I bought the gun with this issue. Thanks for any help, Tony

Cross posted from General gunsmithing.

My 2011 .38 super is running about 50% light primer strikes. I've used Atlanta arms ammo major pf as well as reloaded rounds as low as 140 pf. I've also used my same ammo through a new sti open gun and it runs flawlessly. The rounds that fire show a smeared primer strike on the spent primer. Stronger firing pin spring? Heavier mainspring? Different firing pin? The Gun is as is STI. I bought the gun with this issue. Thanks for any help, Tony

Sounds like you're on the right track. I'd start with a fresh 17/18 lb mainspring and possibly an extended firing pin. Replace the firing pin return spring while you're at it.

And also the Steel Challenge match director at the new CMP range in Talladega if your ever down this way

Thanks for the invite. I just shot the USPSA match there on Saturday. What a great facility and staff. I'm sure I'll get down there for speed steel soon.

The "smear" makes it sound like the firing pin is not returning back out of the breach face... So the firing pin is binding in the hole or the return spring has an issue.

Do you have another 1911 you can swap out the firing pin and spring and see if it solves the problem?

I'm assuming that you've pulled the firing pin out and checked that it's not bent and cleaned the tunnel spotless... ;)

Edited by Chutist

Swapped the firing pin and spring with one from my Sa 1911 9mm and tried it. Same exact results. Then I replaced the mainspring with a heavier one and it seems to be igniting the primers. Ran it about 10 rounds with no issues then ran out of ammo. Looks like it's hitting the primer harder. Hopefully problem solved

What load are you using? Primers? Powder? OAL? Looks like maybe some defective primers or too much pressure. They look cratered which is one of the pressure signs. Do you use rifle primers, small pistol magnum or regular small pistol?

Edited by MrPostman

Half were Atlanta arms 124 hollow point major factor. All of the Atlanta arms chronoed 170-172 pf.

The others are my powder puff steel loads. 8 gr. of hs-6 124 extremes, sm. pistol primers.

Atlanta arms major ammo uses sm rifle primers.

Doesn't matter the load. Same results coal 1.260

Edited by Speedsouthshooting

Hmmmmm, well it could be that you have some breechface erosion since it does it with different loads. I did notice in the picture that the primer strikes are not centered so it may be the way the extractor is holding the round when it is chambered, the round may be partially cocked and not flush with the breechface. If the gun is setup to shoot supercomp brass then the extractor tension is too strong for regular 38 super brass which would push the round off center away from the extraction port or not allow the round to completely slide up into position which would leave a small gap on the bottom. Just a couple of things to check.

Edited by MrPostman

Here's what I haveattachicon.gifimage.jpg

I had that happen before, super high pressure signs

With mine, the flattened primer were shearing off a disc into the firing pin hole and blocked the firing pin from getting a good hit on the primer

A extra long firing pin should help, and change to small rifle primers

Mr postman! I believe you hit the nail buddy. The extractor tension was extremely tight. I could have thrown the slide onto the concrete without releasing the round. Thanks man! Testing tomorrow

Cool! Glad I could help!

Edited by MrPostman