Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Cases Sticking in Station One

I'm running a Dillon 550B with a case feeder. I went out to load some 9mm this afternoon and I had cases stick in the sizing die 4 times in loading 50 rounds.

It's range pick up brass. The stuck cases were all different head stamps.

The first 2 stuck on my normal Dillon die so I changed it out for a Lee U Die I have. That stuck twice in 30 rounds. I finally gave up.

I'm following the Dillon manual and screwing the die down to touching the shell plate and then backing off a half turn. Is there some kind of set up problem?

Is it possible that the depriming pin is getting stuck in the primer (rather than pushing it out)...and then retracting into the case when you push the operating handle back up? Just trying to think of something that would "jam" the case so tightly into the die that it would get stuck there.

If this is the problem, you can file the tip of the pin into a profile that will not stick in the primer. Others on this Forum have experience at how to do this and can offer specific advice about that.

Interesting problem. Please keep us informed so that we can learn something from your situation.

Best wishes.

Whatever it's worth.....when I tries Stainless Steel cleaning on my 9 mm , I found the brass was so clean they were hanging up on the dies.

I did not want to mess around with lubing pistol brass and having to reclean....back to dry tumble with mix of Flitz and Dillon case polish...seems ok......just my experience....for rifle brass S/S is absolutly amazing!!!!!..after deprimed that is....lol!

It is not sticking to the primer. Once I loosened the collett, the pin comes right out.

I clean in a Dillon vibration cleaner. It takes about 200 cases at a time. I use walnut media with a half cap full of NuFinish added per batch. I've been doing this for about 20k 9mm loaded in the 20 months I've been loading.

This morning, using my Lee Udie, I screwed it down to the shell plate and then backed off to 1 full turn. I had a sticking case at about case 20. After cleaning it out, I set it up backed out 1 and quarter turn and it ran fine for 200 more. I did have one where the spent primer didn't come all the way out. I can push the pin in a little bit more to deal with that. All of the ammo case gauged fine.

It still seems like there's been a change someplace else in the set up.

Always lube cases especially when using the U die. Sometimes there's a problem at the powder through die sticking also. Here with the U die your sizing the brass

tighter than a standard die so the case neck is tight on th

I get where smitty is coming from. I always lube but on occasion I have somehow gotten a batch of cases in the feeder that were dry and they were super hard to size but none even came close to sticking in my udie.

Check the obvious. You don't have a 38Super die or something other than 9mm in the machine by mistake? Again check the die for issues inside.

look inside the die and see if anything is broken off. Or maybe the die got scored or scratched really bad

Sarge might be on to something here - seems to me that

the sizing ring in my SDB station had to be replaced a few

years ago.

Something went wrong with it - of course, Dillon sent me

a new one for FREE and it's been all fine ever since. :cheers:

Edited by Hi-Power Jack

Again, case lube?

Why now and not the previous 20k cases?

Possibly because after 20K cases you've gunged up the die. Dry tumbled have dust on them. And despite the carbide, Dillon and other die manufacturers recommend the use of some lube. My advice, disassemble and clean the die, then try a light lube.

I started needle and wet cleaning about a year ago. Had all the same problems reported by others, sticking brass, sticking and galling on the flare etc.

External lubing fixed the re-sizing problem, but still had problems with the flare.

Remember that Dawn removes ALL traces of oils as well as grime etc.

I then read a thread where they discussed this same issue, and 1 responder discussed using Armor All Wash and Wax with Carnuba, instead of Dawn.

What a world of difference, not only does it leave a slick microscopic coating inside and out, it also prevents the brass from tarnishing.

So, no more sticking on the sizing die, no more excessive force needed on the flare, and the cases maintain that shiny clean look.

Win Win.