Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

2011 grip safety not working

3djedi

I noticed tonight wgile dry firing that my grip safety is not functioning. I can pull the trigger without pushing down on the GS and it will fire. The GS is not just flopping around and there seems to be spring tension pushing it out. I took the main spring housing off and looked at the sear spring and it looked fine. After putting it back together it's still not functioning.......

Any ideas on what should I look for? I'm definitely not a 2011 gunsmith!

Thanks!

PS.... the gun probably has 2000-3000 rounds through it and I dry fire it a lot...........

Are you sure it always worked? Have you replaced any fire control components recently? Do you feel any difference in pull on the trigger when not engaging the grip safety, like it might be just slipping past the safety's arm?

Is it resetting fully; i.e. can you manually pull it out further when it's at rest?

Agree with Sarge.

There is no reason for the GSM to be functional on a 2011 is USPSA.

However, if you know that it used to work, and now doesnt, it's worth making sure nothing is broken.

Might want to pull the GSM and compare it to a different gun if you have one, or post a picture for us to look at the tang. We can probably tell from looking at it if it has been modified.

Had the same problem with mine. Loosened the grip screws at the back of the frame and pressed the grip up on the frame and tightened the grip screws back. Fixed my problem. I think it was mostly the grip screw on the right side of the gun was a little bit loose and allowing the trigger to pull under the grip safety.

Not necessarily. When the grip safety is pressed into the frame by gripping the gun, the back of the trigger bow rides under the prong sticking out of the safety. When the grip safety is out (not gripped) the back of the bow hits the prong extending from the safety.

Pull your slide off. Let your hammer down, gently against the frame. Looking down from the top of the gun into the mag well. You can see the back of the trigger bow and front of the prong sticking out of the safety. Pull the trigger with and without the safety engaged to see what it is doing. If you don't see that prong at the back of the trigger bow then yes a piece could be missing.

Edited by shotgunone

Did you buy the gun new or used???????

Your grip safety looks to be cut off.

Here is a pic of a new grip safety, see the difference in the length of the horizontal arms? The arm prevents the trigger from being depressed until the grip safety is compressed which rotates the arm upward over the rear of the trigger bow and then allows the trigger to be depressed.

post-4923-0-34883300-1448152522_thumb.jp

Gun I bought new. I think it's 6 or 8 months old around 3000 rounds through it.

I'll take slide off and check as you guys mentioned...

Looking at my grip safety it looks like a piece broke off and not cut off or made to be like that.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

Gun I bought new. I think it's 6 or 8 months old around 3000 rounds through it.

I'll take slide off and check as you guys mentioned...

Looking at my grip safety it looks like a piece broke off and not cut off or made to be like that.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

My advice would be to call the folks you bought the gun from and tell them the gun is unsafe in the present condition. They should ask you to send the gun back and in my opinion should pay the freight both ways and not charge you for the fix.

Unlike Eric, I don't cut the arm short, I pin the safety so if I ever sell the gun I can pull the pin and sell a gun with both safeties working. Just two different ways to achieve the same end.

Hello: These guys are super strong and pull the trigger back breaking the tang off the grip safety since they don't depress the grip safety enough. Just a theory and may not be factual in any way. :surprise: Thanks, Eric

And with no damage to the trigger bow? :roflol:

• 8 years later...

I realize this thread is 8+ years old but am having the same issue and am hoping someone out there can shed some light please.  I have a STI Trubor and the grip safety recently stopped working.  I took it apart and see that the tab is broken the same as the original poster 3djedi .  I believe his gun is also an STI, as is that of peterthefish.

What I don't get is how could this break.  I'm concerned that if I replace it that the same thing may happen again.

Can anyone shed some light as to how this part, that seems like it shouldn't be stressed, could break? Anyone have it break and replace it?  If so in what gun and replaced with what manufacturer part and how did it fair long term?  Anyone recommend a good replacement?

Thanks

IMG_5776 - Copy.JPG