Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

2011 grip safety not working

3djedi

55 minutes ago, timothy said:

I realize this thread is 8+ years old but am having the same issue and am hoping someone out there can shed some light please.  I have a STI Trubor and the grip safety recently stopped working.  I took it apart and see that the tab is broken the same as the original poster 3djedi .  I believe his gun is also an STI, as is that of peterthefish.

What I don't get is how could this break.  I'm concerned that if I replace it that the same thing may happen again.

Can anyone shed some light as to how this part, that seems like it shouldn't be stressed, could break? Anyone have it break and replace it?  If so in what gun and replaced with what manufacturer part and how did it fair long term?  Anyone recommend a good replacement?

Thanks

I have no idea how the tang on a grip safety could break like this. In 40+ years of working on the 1911 platform I've never seen this! You are right in that there is virtually no stress on this part.

Weird stuff breaks on Open guns.  I had the thumb pad of a thumb safety snap off once (just the pad, the rest of safety was fine).  And it was on the side I never use.  Dawson looked at it and said "Open guns [break odd] things sometimes".

16 hours ago, shred said:

Weird stuff breaks on Open guns.  I had the thumb pad of a thumb safety snap off once (just the pad, the rest of safety was fine).  And it was on the side I never use.  Dawson looked at it and said "Open guns [break odd] things sometimes".

You have a smart gun it has disabled that pad  because you don't use it 😉

On 11/19/2015 at 9:46 AM, shotgunone said:

Had the same problem with mine. Loosened the grip screws at the back of the frame and pressed the grip up on the frame and tightened the grip screws back. Fixed my problem. I think it was mostly the grip screw on the right side of the gun was a little bit loose and allowing the trigger to pull under the grip safety.

Have a similar problem on my gun. If you pressed the trigger enough, it seemed like it was riding past the tab on the safety, and the hammer would drop. I thought that the tab might've worn down some over the years. I checked the grip screws, and sure enough the right side screw was loose. I loosened both screws, pressed up on the grip as I tightened down the grip screws, and now it's working fine.Thanks for the tip. 👍  I was almost ready to buy a new grip safety.