Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Nose to charging handle? Good technique?

As long as you have a good consistant cheek to stock weld it doesnt matter. I like to take a piece of good tape and build a little index point for my cheek. That way i dont get gas in my eye and i dont have to get so far up on the gun.

Sent from my SM-G860P using Tapatalk

Do folks consider this good technique with an AR? What are the pros and cons? I shoot limited, BTW.

Just curious on more recent thinking. When I learned to shoot in the military, this is how we learned.

I learned that way as well in 1979

I used to do this. I like it alot because no matter how dumb of a position you are in, you get on the scope quick with no bullshit.

Last year I ended up extending my stock halfway to get closer to my shotgun LOP. I found that when I shot NTCH my strong arm was doing almost no work, making offhand shots and fast rifle transitions slower.

I like the idea of the velcro. I might have to do that. I actually build a bump up with gorilla tape so I can feel it though, not just a piece of tape. This is a little trick I took from the long range gunners I work with.

I used to do this. I like it alot because no matter how dumb of a position you are in, you get on the scope quick with no bullshit.

Last year I ended up extending my stock halfway to get closer to my shotgun LOP. I found that when I shot NTCH my strong arm was doing almost no work, making offhand shots and fast rifle transitions slower.

Same here, I shoot open, I've found with the stock extended, and weak side arm fully extended, offhand , long range is way better.

However,

NTCH is faster/more accurate when using the 45* RDS while walking and shooting. If there is a few steps between transitions I adjust my stock accordingly. If not I keep it long.

A recent example last weekend at the Surefire match, 2 stages back to back had plate racks about ~70 yds, first stage I was NTCH , more tucked in. I shot 13 rounds for 6 plates.

next stage I remembered to extend - went 1/1

• 2 weeks later...

We used to call this "climbing the sights". I does induce a bit of dispersion at very long range, but if you are used to it there is nothing wrong with it. it is taught that way in the military because it is an easy reference... not the best nor the worst, just easy to teach!