Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Trigger Slapping Not A Crime

GunBugBit

Ever see a paintball match? Those guys slap alternating two fingers on the trigger to get the paint down range in volume and in a hurry.

We need two rounds on each paper target, preferably in a group no larger than six inches centered on the A zone and also ASAP. On steel the target can be up to twelve inches wide. Six to twelve inch group? Precision shooters would be horrified. But they're shooting a different game where ultraprecision is needed, and the concept of a "split" of .15 seconds is incomprehensible.

To shoot fast at the targets we use, slapping can work well.

My guess would be the difference is in gripping the pistol, versus pulling the rifle stock into your shoulder -- different angles in the pulley chain mechanisms that make up the musculoskeletal system.....

Thats certainly possible, also the different triggers, different weights, different recoil impulse .. I'm sure everything comes into play.

I just played with it in dry fire. Gripping the pistol, I'm clamping down with palms, fingers, and even finger tips -- a crush grip leaves me with the ability to move the trigger finger freely, but not as freely as I can move it when holding an AR.

When I'm dry firing the AR, my hand almost acts like a hook on the end of my arm. I find that I'm not squeezing the pistol grip as much as I'm pulling it and the forearm back into my shoulder. Having two different points of contact on the rifle and pulling back, seems to leave my hand more relaxed than when I'm gripping a pistol -- making it even easier for the finger tip to move smoothly......

• 2 weeks later...

If you can slap it and not disturb the sights, then go for it. The problem is the majority of shooters can't do that.

Sure they can, at closer ranges.

I think a lot of folks don't know when to transition to a more deliberate pull. I struggled with it this weekend when I went back to my revolver. With my 1911 I can slap the trigger and hold the A zone on an open target out to 10 yards, not so much with the revolver. :/

Edited by PatJones

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

If given the choice, *most everyone would say they'd rather have a smooth controlled trigger pull rather than slapping the trigger. By definition, a smooth pull should result in more accurate and repeatable shot placement. But, i do know several folks who advocate and practice slapping the trigger with varying degrees of success.

For me, i'm going to continue working to smooth-out my trigger pull... all the while, knowing that i do have a tendency to slap it when trying to put on the gas.