Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Glock 17 vs. 34

BuellX1

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's a pretty even split at our local USPSA matches (100 + shooters). The guys that run G34's think they do every better than a G17, and the guys that run G17's don't see the need for a G34. Whichever gun gives you more confidence in making your hits is your ticket. I have both, including G17L's, and still run my oldest G17 90% of the time. Keep in mind that the frame is the same for the G17/G34/G17L, only the uppers are different. It's also the same frame for a G22/G35/G24 and G31, all the same.

Edited by 9x45

G34 mainly for sight radius. And to alleviate size envy. :)

Suggested USPSA Legal Mod's (this is what I have on mine)

- Ghost 3.5 Connector

- Wolf competition striker spring

- 6lb trigger spring ( on Glock's this will make your trigger lighter)
- Titanium Plunger with spring

- 25 Cent Trigger job (you will find on youtube)

- Dawson Precision Competition Sights

- Talon Sandpaper Grips

- Lonewolf G34 Std Length Barrel

If you have a Gen 4

- Jager Guiderod (for Gen4 makes it a Gen 3 guiderod setup)
- IMSI 12lb spring

Makes for a very smooth, accurate, flat shooting G34 with a trigger that breaks a little between 3lbs - 2.5 lbs and a short reset.

FYI: If you shoot this setup in GSSF it will have to be in Open Class.

Edited by DenverDave

DenverDave, I suggest you get at least 20 USPSA matches under your belt first. Shooting is 95% mental, and you will soon learn that magic modifications do not make up for walking by a target and taking a procedural and 2 mikes, that's 30 points down. Just saying, I see allot of guys go nuts over mods and ignore the fundamentals.

Point taken 9x45, and true if someone is new to Glock's.

In my case I have been shooting Glock's since they have been in the U.S.
After owning many of them, I just know how I like mine setup.
My G34, G35, G22 are all setup exactly the same.

Started USPSA with a 17, shooting a 34 sometimes this year and always when I 3-Gun. 34 is just better. Doesn't seem like any benefit other than sight radius, but the Gen 4 backstrap options are awesome. The Gen 4 trigger bar connector end is trash due to the pointless huge radius, but you can reshape it with a file to the Gen 3 shape. The Gen 4 guns seem to be all over the place in terms of compatibility with a particular front sight height, but that isn't something to take for granted anyway.

Russel, 34. Longer sight radius = easier to shoot more accurately. So a G17L should be better than a G34, perhaps for a B zone plate at 40 yards, but 95% of all shots in a USPSA match are only 3-15 yards.

I recently did an article on my experience of the 17 and 34 and why I shoot the 34 the most. http://beyondthesights.us/whats-the-big-deal-with-the-long-slides/

I think you moved up from Expert to Master because of experience, and not because of a gun change. Easy to prove, shoot the classifier back to back

I Think Marshal is trying to say that it was easier to learn on the 34 than the 17.

FYI i shoot a 17 in production and dont feel handicapped in the gun department, the experience department though.......

Edited by DHwreckage

Russel, 34. Longer sight radius = easier to shoot more accurately. So a G17L should be better than a G34, perhaps for a B zone plate at 40 yards, but 95% of all shots in a USPSA match are only 3-15 yards.

The 17L is easier to shoot more accurately than the 34 :). I have one, would use it for Production if it were legal. Sure you don't need bullseye accuracy to hit most USPSA targets, but the longer sight radius could be the difference between an A or C zone hit...

Right my experience helped and practice, but the 34 helped me get there faster because it was easier to learn with. Now that I have those skills it's really doesn't matter. But if you don't have either I'd recommend starting with the 34.

Right my experience helped and practice, but the 34 helped me get there faster because it was easier to learn with. Now that I have those skills it's really doesn't matter. But if you don't have either I'd recommend starting with the 34.

I read your article and enjoyed it. You have arrived at the same conclusion I have, specifically, the long slide guns have more accurate barrels. I believe if one machine rested the long slide guns vs standard lengths, the long slide guns would be better performers in the accuracy department. I suspect they use fresher tooling when making the barrels for the 17L, 24, 34, and 35.

I have no proof of course and this is all anecdotal. We have 7 G17's in the inventory and I don't believe any of them shoot the groups at 25 yards the 34's do. Having said that I have more faith in the reliability of the Glock 17 than ANY other handgun.

Sorry if this is a thread drift...

I don't own a Ransom rest, but I don't believe the 34 or 17L is any more mechanically accurate than the 17. They're just easier to shoot accurately due to the longer sight radius. I would be interested in seeing some Ransom rest testing though.

I've heard from a friend, who knows lots of the folks at Glock, that Glock says their most mechanically accurate gun is the G30.