Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Advice for lefty

moostapha

I'm looking seriously at getting into 3gun but definitely interested in tactical carbine matches that are run locally.

I'm also left handed.

I've shot with a borrowed AR and enjoyed the heck out of it. But, I'm wondering how much it's worth to avoid getting a face full of gas.

I haven't had a problem with brass hitting me yet, but the gas is really annoying...especially inside...like the small local matches.

I can probably borrow a good bit of stuff to try out before I commit, but as I see it...a left handed rifle limits me to a stag arms upper or something like a Tavor (I actually shot one with a good trigger a couple weeks ago...it was just an extra $400 or so).

I'm not worried about the controls...ambi everything is easy. It's really just wondering if the ejection port is actually worth it.

I agree with the ambi controls on a "normal" AR. When I first got into the AR game I started with a Stag lh model, but I really don't like the proprietary parts on it. I find its nice to have eyes on the action without having to rotate the gun over. Gas is only an annoyance when you have a can on the end.

I shoot rifles and shotguns left handed and pistols right handed due to an injury to my right eye I when I was a kid. It is more about how you learned to shoot and what you are comfortable with. Never have noticed any gas in the face or ejection sight problems. I have my safety on shotguns left handed and AR right handed, this is the biggest deal for me. Right handed rifles and shotguns are far more plentiful with many more options. AR's can be set up ambi for safety and mag release. Switch the shotgun safety to left hand. I would not worry about which way it ejects.

gerritm

Edited by gerritm

I like having the port right in front of my face. I can see a malf and clear it ASAP. Sounds like the gun you were shooting is over gassed. I've never noticed the blowback unless it's a super short suppressed. And you should never have bras to the face. If you do then the gun really needs tuned.

Only issue I've had is the inside of my right elbow catching hot brass. This only happens when I roll the gun over to use 45* offset irons. Just have to wear a long sleeve shirt or a spandex sleave.

Which 45 degree offset are you running as a lefty?

I shoot long guns left handed and could never get use to the right handed side of the ambi safely moving in my grip while I worked the other side so I cut one off and now buy the models with the removable paddles making it left handed only.

I also like a oversized charging handle latch

My right arm gets hit a bit by brass when I practice but I don't notice it at matches

Ambi everything and right side eject for me, right side eject guns were made for us leftys!

jj

I agree. I have never noticed the gas when shooting close to a wall. I also use a charging handle operated from the right side.

As for the shotgun, I would not buy a left handed model.

Ambi everything and right side eject for me, right side eject guns were made for us leftys!

jj

I agree. I have never noticed the gas when shooting close to a wall. I also use a charging handle operated from the right side.

Definitely not buying a left handed shotgun. The idea came up to just offset the sights (open division) and shoot it right handed so I can more easily reload with my left. But as long as local 3gun seems to devolve into a shotgun reloading competition, I think I'm just going to hold off on it entirely.

I'm beginning to think the AR I borrowed was just over-gassed.

jj

Definitely not buying a left handed shotgun. The idea came up to just offset the sights (open division) and shoot it right handed so I can more easily reload with my left. But as long as local 3gun seems to devolve into a shotgun reloading competition, I think I'm just going to hold off on it entirely.

Do you mean you are going to hold off on 3gun because of the shotgun reloading? I wouldn't let the shotgun deter me from getting into the 3gun sport. The bolt release prevents me from quad loading with my right hand but loading 2 is no problem.

Just remember, the longer you wait the slower you get.

jj

Do you mean you are going to hold off on 3gun because of the shotgun reloading? I wouldn't let the shotgun deter me from getting into the 3gun sport. The bolt release prevents me from quad loading with my right hand but loading 2 is no problem.

Just remember, the longer you wait the slower you get.

I'm more so that I'm not that interested in shotgun for some reason. The idea of a competition coming down to something I don't think I'll ever train is off-putting