Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Unless the stage diagrams have dimensions to go along with the drawings (which they NEVER do) then posting them ahead of time makes zero difference. If a shooter or club wants to replicate a stage from a major match based on the posted stage diagrams it will never be exactly the same as the real deal without the exact dimensions listed. If people want to practice on a poor copy of a major match stage who cares?

The last time this was an issue was when the same club hosting the Area match leveraged the same exact physical stages for a club match right before the area match. That failure was 100% due to the match staff, not the shooters. How likely is that going to happen again? Hopefully never. So what is the point of restricting the stages from the shooters?

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good question? We all like to know the starts and strong hand weak hand stuff plus any crazy shots. Oh well, all we can do is ask for the stages?? The powers may just be busy, like we all end up being at some point.

Hello: I don't think it is all up to Peter at this point. The stages have been approved I would think and just need to be posted. They may have to decide on which bay they put the stages in so that they fit so stage numbers may be why the holdup? We will all find out in 11 days for sure. Thanks, Eric

Stage 10 is not a legal Comstock stage. This has to be scored Virginia count to be legal per rule 1.2.2.1

Have these stages been approved by NROI? If so that is a glaring mistake missed.

Edited by CHA-LEE

Stage 11 - The WSB states "Last six scoring shots weak hand only" isn't going to hold water. The stage can be shot many different ways so how do you know as an RO which targets they need to engage WHO? I also thought that if this is done in a field course that the specific target numbers that must be engaged WHO need to be defined?

Stage 11 - The WSB states "Last six scoring shots weak hand only" isn't going to hold water. The stage can be shot many different ways so how do you know as an RO which targets they need to engage WHO? I also thought that if this is done in a field course that the specific target numbers that must be engaged WHO need to be defined?

I agree on 10. That is a mistake.

However, on 11, I think it falls within 1.1.5.4.

"Medium or Long courses of fire may stipulate the use of either strong or weak hand, provided that only one hand, either strong or weak, is specified for no more than the last 6 shots required."

Although, I will say "last 6 shots REQUIRED" is a little ambiguous when applying to that stage.

Edited by Ssanders224

They had this stage or close to it at Ga state few years back @ Peters club. No issues at that match. Everyone just shot the last 6 weak handed on their weak side of the stage, if I'm not mistaken. But like I said been a few years and I'm lucky to remember yesterday?????

Agreed with those who say that Stage 11 tracks a stage from the 2014 Georgia state match. As it was explained to us, once you have shot a target the required number of times, more shots are not required. When you get to the point where only 6 more hits are REQUIRED, then you have to go one-handed. So different people choosing to shoot targets in a different order may end up finishing on different arrays, and therefore having to shoot different targets one-handed. But that is the competitor's choice. It was also emphasized that shooting all the targets, then firing 6 more rounds one-handed wouldn't avoid the penalties, since those shots were not the last 6 REQUIRED shots... they were just 6 gratuitous shots.

Agreed with those who say that Stage 11 tracks a stage from the 2014 Georgia state match. As it was explained to us, once you have shot a target the required number of times, more shots are not required. When you get to the point where only 6 more hits are REQUIRED, then you have to go one-handed. So different people choosing to shoot targets in a different order may end up finishing on different arrays, and therefore having to shoot different targets one-handed. But that is the competitor's choice. It was also emphasized that shooting all the targets, then firing 6 more rounds one-handed wouldn't avoid the penalties, since those shots were not the last 6 REQUIRED shots... they were just 6 gratuitous shots.

That would require the RO to be looking hard at the targets to make sure. Its not Virginia count so extra shots are not penalized.

Unless you're saying that if you shoot freestyle at all at the last 3 targets you will be penalized period.

Edited by d_striker

As a match director there is no way that I would put something that vague in a club match much less an Area match. Why would anyone want to answer the same questions about the vague WSB 82348230894028 times??? Especially when it really does not test anything "Special" from a shooting challenge perspective. There is already a standards stage that is mandating WHO shooting so that should be enough of a test for that skill.

Unless you're saying that if you shoot freestyle at all at the last 3 targets you will be penalized period.

If you come to the last 3 targets and have not previously engaged them and shoot at them freestyle, yep, you're going to get penalized. At least that's how I understand it.

CHA-LEE, I don't really express an opinion about whether having such a requirement/stage is good or bad. I'm just agreeing with others that it has been done before (by the same MD) at a high-level match, and didn't seem to pose inordinate problems. As for the WSB being "vague," I don't know if that's the best word. It does require thinking through (or having someone explain) the full ramifications of the very short language, but it seems like there's really only one interpretation that completely squares with the language. It may be less than fully explanatory, but I'm not sure I see vagueness in it.

Or maybe I'm using a more narrow/specific definition of "vague" than you are. :)

Looking at the diagram, you would either shoot either the t6-t8 or t9-t11 array weak hand only. It's really not that complicated.

I agree. Anyone who runs up range after engaging those last 6 targets to engage 6 more has already significantly screwed the pooch anyways.

My main question is this. Can one be double penalized. Say you get a Squibb or gun falls apart prior to engaging last array. Do you get 6 miles, 3 FTE, and 3 "failure to do rights" because last 6 you did shoot prior to malfunction want weak hand only?

My main question is this. Can one be double penalized. Say you get a Squibb or gun falls apart prior to engaging last array. Do you get 6 miles, 3 FTE, and 3 "failure to do rights" because last 6 you did shoot prior to malfunction want weak hand only?

That wouldn't make any sense to me (someone with no particular knowledge or standing). It says the last 6 REQUIRED shots must be taken WHO. The shots you didn't take because your gun blew up were still REQUIRED... that's why you're taking mikes on those. You didn't take those shots in violation of the WSB, so no extra penalties.

At least that's how it seems to be. I could be wrong.

Edited by ATLDave