Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Sti steelmaster issues

Shanevince

Hey guys looking for some help. I just received my Sti steelmaster 9mm. That is supposed to be made to cycle factory loads. I was shooting Blazer 9mm 115 grain and it never ejected one properly. Either stove piped or not extracted at all and stayed in the barrel. Check out the photos. Any advise would help. Thanks so much. d42a58c21568932b85079b69907fcb06.jpg280483e80a6d3b4b2bb9090f5ac2607c.jpge436e6f266673accae5da53c13c9ad7b.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The cases are hitting the mount. You need to tune the ejector and the extractor. I went through this with my SteelMaster and could not get it to run. I put a Cheely offset mount and it ran great. I no longer have it but it did run well with the offset mount.

The ammo you are using is fine. They run best with 130pf. You cen get them tor run in the low 120's but it is not as reliable.

Don't bother sending it back to STI as they won't do anything about it. I sent mine in and it jammed on the fourth round as soon as it came back. They didn't even touch it and you have to wait.

Patience and some tuning and it will work. I run a dull point all the way at the top of the ejector and the cases clear the mount. But ultimately if you cant get it right, I would get a Cheely offset mount. You don't need to go to a 90 mount unless you like them.

Edited by echotango

Yep. 90 mount. Lots of lube. Perhaps run a box of +p or +p+ through it. Look for underwood. They make some hot stuff and are reasonably priced to me. Or if you have some friends that reload get them to make you some ammo. If your set on not running maj you can still benefit from loading your own ammo. Perhaps a 100g bullet under 8g 3n38. Cycle the slide, plenty of gas for the comp. Or if you reload but don't feel comfortable with loading major get a slower powder and lighter bullet. AA7 under a 100g or 3n38 or Lil gun. You may not find much data for a 100g but if it's listed for a heavier bullet, it is definitely safe to use with a lighter one.

Edited by Open1215

Give it a bath in motor oil, and shoot a couple hundred rounds through it. Open guns like to run wet. From the picture I can not see any oil. If it's not running out of the slide rails after cleaning it's not enough. When the gun is new and tight it may not want to run on light loads. I would not adjust the extractor or ejector until I was positive that it was broke in.

Edited by Tyshoots

Give it a bath in motor oil, and shoot a couple hundred rounds through it. Open guns like to run wet. From the picture I can not see any oil. If it's not running out of the slide rails after cleaning it's not enough. When the gun is new and tight it may not want to run on light loads. I would not adjust the extractor or ejector until I was positive that it was broke in.

Came here to say this.

if it's failing to cycle it may be too heavy a spring too.

couple of things.

try lighter recoil spring

get someone to film you shooting it form ejection side (preferably in high frame rate so you can watch it in slow mo).

then figure out what it needs from there.

Based on the pictures, I'd focus on making sure the extractor has adequate tension. Looks to me like it is too loose and the second round down is pushing the fired case above the ejector and isn't being ejected, while the second round down is trying to feed. Add more tension to the extractor (cheap and easy things first) or have someone who knows how to adjust/tune extractors do so.

See what effect that has then go from there.

Hard chrome STI's need to run in a fair bit before they will work properly.

A mate has a 2 month old grand master that is only just starting to come good.

Yes, my GM was the same way. I did end up putting an Aftec extractor in it at the suggestion of a few other open guys I know and now it runs great now.

Agree with all of the above ^^^^.

In addition, it could be your mag ...

Do you get this jam with all of your mags, or just one of them?

My jams looked like yours, and it all because one of my mags needed a new spring ....

But, it could be a lube problem, or PF problem, or extractor/ejector problem ....

Good luck with it. :cheers:

Welcome to the world of 2011's. When new they can take some breaking in to get reliable, and then you may still have to tinker with it a bit, replace extractor, figure out how to lube it for best reliability, etc. Once you have it running, if you take care of it and lube it properly it should run great.

I've been thinking of picking one of these up, please report back with any updates concerning more or less problems you encounter by adding lube, more shooting/heavier loads, adjusting extractor or changing the cmore mount. Thanks!

when I bought my SteelMaster.... I was told until you break your SteelMaster in ... every time, your first shot of the day you should have oil all over your glasses.. use plenty of GOOD QUALITY GUN OIL.... NOT THICK VISCOSITY..... ON THE SLIDE & BARREL.. and as mentioned you may have an ejector problem... a 90 degree mount will solve most issues shown in your pictures..

All great advice -

Simplest fix is the Cheely 90 mt.

Tuning the ext may also solve prob but could take some time to get it right.

Definitely need 500+ rds breakin, lots light oil to start while its tight.

Its a GREAT gun & should run fine w most factory 115s after breakin.

Have fun !!!

Hello I have been running major with mine all year it works great. The hotter loads seem to help it run better. You will need to change springs etc. I solved my ejection problem by removing the scope mount and tuning the ejector as said above. Cases must come out as low as possible and you cant tell what its doing with the mount on the gun. Also an aftec is a must for any sti in 9mm.

I believe quite a few ejection problems can be cured with a bit hotter load, and with the right powder with more gas to work the comp the flatness may not change much. On my current open steel gun I had to go to a hotter load (using WAC) to keep from having ejection problems with brass hitting the mount. I went to a different mount for a while, didn't like it nearly as well as the conventional Cmore mount and went back and worked up a hotter load and solved the ejection issues.

Tune your ejector is the easiest and cheapest thing to do. Got a aftec extractor and didn't need it , got an offset mount and didn't need it . It's my opinion you shouldn't have to change to mount to get the gun to run . Tune the ejector and break it in and it should run factory Ammo. JMHO

Edited by Scootertheshooter