Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New 140 & 170mm TS base pads from SP

Hallz

• 4 weeks later...

Based on the images I don't believe they would fit a CZC magwell without modifications. I also noted that they use a fastener to secure them to the magazine which may be time-consuming to remove and replace for cleaning during competition events.

I just contacted Springer Precision by email. Since it does not state on their website, I had to ask about how many rounds it would add to a 17rd TS 40cal magazine. I was told three, while the CZC added four with the addition of the spring and follower kit. I was also told the base pads only fit with the TS factory magazine well and not the CZC IPSC magwell.

Intresting, I get 20 (+3) if i use the CZ sprig and folower, with the GRAMS option I get 21(+4) and they work with my IPSC magwell.

Thanks, that good to get that first hand knowledge. I really wanted these to work, that's why I contacted Springer

Based on the images I don't believe they would fit a CZC magwell without modifications. I also noted that they use a fastener to secure them to the magazine which may be time-consuming to remove and replace for cleaning during competition events.

I wondered about that as well, but they are not bad at all. Quick removal with a ball end allen. I have had tool-less ones pop loose at a match, the ones with a plate with two screws provides an almost impossibility of that happening, but adds a few additional seconds each mag and parts to possibly loose. The SP's are a good middle ground IMO.

post-54673-0-49844600-1445395453_thumb.j

post-54673-0-55509900-1445395511_thumb.j

Edited by Hallz

+3 with the stock setup, +4 with the Grams follower. Several shooters that I know are using the CZC magwells. The main improvement we heard from customers is that some other pads come off unintentionally. The method we use is a compromise between ease of use and security. With the screw, you just need to turn it a turn or two and it is free to remove.

I think it would be easier to access the screw if the holes was drilled and tapped all of the way to the bottom and the head of the setscrew was accessed through the bottom.

Are there any plans to make these for the 16, 17, 18 round CZ75 magazines in the near future? I am tired of waiting for Taran to make them, lol.

These would be awesome for the Large frame Tanfo mags as well. ;)

Edited by himurax13

The issues with that is dropping them in places that have mud and other debris that could fill the hole and prevent removal. We do have the CZ 17 round CZ75 mags on the list for 140's. We are working through many projects, so I can't give an exact time they will be done, but they are getting closer to the top of the list.

Loves2Shoot, I'm interested in the 170 basepad for 40sw. I get 20 reloadable in the 140 extension with the standard follower and 21 with the "plank". How many additional will I get with the 170 extension. Is the spring and follower that comes with the 170 suitable for 40sw?

I posted in the CZ Custom forum dealer page, but I think there is a definite market if one of you guys started providing threaded barrels and compensators for the the TS that doesn't require modification of the slide. Especially now that you guys have started providing the 170mm magazine extensions, it seems like that would be a very economical way to get into the platform for Open division (compared to a Czechmate at 3k+)

As a side note, how many rounds (with the grams guts) do the 170mm mags hold?

• 7 months later...

Yes, they follower works with the 9 or 40. in the 170mm. They hold 26 .40 rounds, 29 9mm rounds.

Do the mags need to be tuned for the 9mm to prevent the last couple rounds from tumbling in the mags? What springs are you using with the 170s.

I have the extended follower set and the CZ 140mm base pads giving me +3. Now, the issue I have is sometimes when I drop the magazine it disassembles. I have currently secured them on the edges with electrician's tape which is not an elegant solution. I assume your set screw resolves that issue?

• 3 years later...

I was interested in the Springer Precision 170mm base pad extension for 40SW Tactical Sport Orange. Website says it will increase a 40SW to 26 rounds. I talked to their customer service and was told they have had a lot of call backs from people having problems with feeding issues in the 40. They said they still sell them because some people insist on trying for themselves. Leaves me confused, has any one tried the 170mm in 40SW.

20 hours ago, Copskid said:

I was interested in the Springer Precision 170mm base pad extension for 40SW Tactical Sport Orange. Website says it will increase a 40SW to 26 rounds. I talked to their customer service and was told they have had a lot of call backs from people having problems with feeding issues in the 40. They said they still sell them because some people insist on trying for themselves. Leaves me confused, has any one tried the 170mm in 40SW.

I can swap one over form a 9mm magazine tonight or tomorrow and see if it hand cycles. 

Springer told me that they no longer sell the grams guts for their TSO/CM extensions because people were getting feeding issues, though I found that with both the 140mm and 170mm extensions using grams/CZC followers didn't actually add any extra rounds (23 and 29 respectively), just made insertion slightly easier at the cost of slightly less reliable feeding. Are you sure they weren't actually talking about those? 

The issue I see with the 170 extensions with the 9mm mags are nose dives, which are primarily due to the stack getting messed up as rounds pass below the ribs in the magazine. I've been running JHPs which like to snag on the corner of the feed ramp if they nose dive. The .40 mags don't have the ribs, but perhaps the mag/extension transition has a similar impact. I beveled the inside edges of the bottom of my mag bodies and opened up the back corners of the extensions as well, which made the transition feel much smoother while loading the mags. Most .40 projectiles are flat point, which would cause a similar snag on the feed ramp if they nose dive. 

Regor

Thanks for the response. Yes I’m sure it was the 40SW 170mm that I was asking about and got the response as quoted. I have several Springer Precision 140mm on TSO and get 23/9 mm (+3) , and 20/40SW ( +3) using all original CZ internals. I have fired thousands of rounds flawlessly. I did have to adjust my 9mm original springs when I started reloading Precision Delta 124g Hollow Point. Bent factory magazine spring second coil towards back to lift front of follower. Have not had any issues since. I don’t have a 170mm base and would really appreciate if you could try it with a flat nose 40. I shoot the 180g Precision Delta 40 with a flat nose. Thanks