Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

2015 USPSA Handgun (Limited/Open) Nationals - Stage Repeats?

JupiterAdam

What if shooters decided to boycott some of the stages as a way of protest for the lack of quality? It would have to come from the top shooters as they would have to set the example but wouldn't that be interesting?

Looks like the stages kicked your ass. As a Master at 63% I would more upset with my performance than the stages

For the record, I sucked worse....but then I had a broken gun

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What if shooters decided to boycott some of the stages as a way of protest for the lack of quality? It would have to come from the top shooters as they would have to set the example but wouldn't that be interesting?

Looks like the stages kicked your ass. As a Master at 63% I would more upset with my performance than the stages

I noticed my rear sight was a little jacked yesterday when I was practicing, but I doubt it made much difference since I don't usually look at them anyway.

Where did you end up finishing?

I was 5th or 6th in my class if I figured correctly, but there was only 12 D shooters.

Ouch

Remember, if you complain about volunteers and the job they do, be prepared to do the job yourself.

Say what you want about Roy, he runs 9 stage 200+ round local matches all season. Whether I agree with his opinions or not (I don't on this matter), he works his ass off volunteering in this sport.

Then bringing up his match performance like this is pretty shitty, and casts a huge doubt on your credibility.

Edited by Jake Di Vita

After attending the Limited nationals I have solidified my thoughts on the whole thing from a consumer perspective. Some may like my opinions on this and some may not. But it is what it is.

Pre-Match Promotion & Communication - Grade F

I give USPSA an "F" grade for the complete lack of promotion and communication before the start of the match. I have seen better from monthly club matches that are $20 and 100% run my volunteers. How USPSA can do worse than a local club match in promotion and notification is very delinquent. This has already been beat to death so I won't waste any more time on this subject.

Stage Quality & Validity - Grade B

I thought that the stages did test a valid and wide range of skills. Shannon was dead on in his assessment of the stages testing a broad range of skills. I didn't think that any of the target scenarios were unreasonable. Even though I was fine with shooting challenges I couldn't stop thinking about how many shooters were racking up misses and no shoots. When I reviewed the match results looking at the shooters finishing mid pack it was normal to see people with 20-30 misses. Hell the guys battling for the win had 5 - 6 misses. Competitors tend to associate their match performance or enjoyment of the match with how many penalties they accumulate. It's hard for me to believe any shooter feeling "good about" or "enjoying" a match where they managed to rack up 20 - 30 misses. As a match director myself there is no way I would create shooting challenges that would result in the "average" shooters getting their asses handed to them like that. After all it's the "average" shooters match fees that are subsidizing the majority of the expenses. Without them there isn't enough money to even host an event. The top shooters will always separate themselves from others in time and points shot regardless of the shot difficulty. So why create shooting challenges that stick it to the guys paying the bills? The only thing I disliked about some of the stages was the use of slippery wood surfaces when you know there is a high probability of wet or rainy conditions. The wood platform on the prone stage was slick as ice in the rain/wet. The same can be said about the wood plank shooting area stage. Something more wet resistant or traction increasing should have been used instead.

During Match Management - Grade A

During the match I thought that the event ran like a well oiled machine. Officiating was effective, consistent, and efficient. Scores were processed and posted in a very timely fashion. The match schedule was adhered to as well. We even got match schedule update notice emails during the event. Jake did a good job of taking pictures/video and posting them online. I thought it ran about as smooth as it could have gone from my perspective. If there were issues they were dealt with and kept out of sight as it should be.

Accuracy was at a premium. Bagged partials are part of the game. I've shot at them across the country. Scoring them is the hard part. Almost all the shooters I talked to thought it was a difficult match, but not ridiculous.

• 3 weeks later...

It's crazy how europeans play a harder version of our game then we do.

If it's not a whole match of hosing 5th gear field courses with enough match points to suck up mikes and no shoots, we don't care.

Don't even dream of putting a low port in the middle of a stage.