Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Pistol Caliber Carbine Division

ZackJones

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The carbine I used is a JP GMR-13 that uses Glock magazines. I purchased it several months ago just for this competition. It has a 14.5" barrel with a pinned brake. All of the controls are AR15 in nature, except a pivoting mag catch, but it is in the same location. It has an Aimpoint Micro H1 4MOA mounted in a Daniel Defense Aimpoint Mount. I used a Magpul CTR stock, and K grip. The cool thing about the JP is the buffer system, it uses a silent captured spring system with weights. I have about 2000 rounds on this carbine with zero failures.

The carbine I used is a JP GMR-13 that uses Glock magazines. I purchased it several months ago just for this competition. It has a 14.5" barrel with a pinned brake. All of the controls are AR15 in nature, except a pivoting mag catch, but it is in the same location. It has an Aimpoint Micro H1 4MOA mounted in a Daniel Defense Aimpoint Mount. I used a Magpul CTR stock, and K grip. The cool thing about the JP is the buffer system, it uses a silent captured spring system with weights. I have about 2000 rounds on this carbine with zero failures.

Oh great, now I've got one more thing on the wish list. :)

• 3 weeks later...

Minutes are up from the 10 November meeting and it looks like we're getting PCC as a provisional division:

Pistol Caliber Carbine Division/SCSA Disucssion

Motion: President and DNROI will form an appendix to

define the parameters of a Pistol Caliber Carbine

provisional division for approved SCSA matches.

Appendix will be presented to BOD for review and

approval at the January in-person meeting.

Moved: A7 Seconded: A2 PASSED

Mike,

Great videos man. Really enjoyed watching them. Not to drift this thread, but in your opinion, does the 9mm carbine really make use of a brake or is it just another gadget to spend money on?

Mike,

Great videos man. Really enjoyed watching them. Not to drift this thread, but in your opinion, does the 9mm carbine really make use of a brake or is it just another gadget to spend money on?

It is a waste of money. 9mm kicks more than you think, despite the anemic round and the increased weight of the rifle, there is more reciprocating mass. The bolts are heavier and generally if you are shooting suppressed you want the heaviest buffer available. Add that to the fact there is no delay from lockup as 9mm ARs are generally all blowback, the bolt comes forward like a slide hammer. I would describe the recoil as slow and if I push splits faster than .15 seconds, it almost seems like they recoil down and you are kinda waiting on the action. I would for sure say the recoil on a .223 is flatter but it is not unmanageable. These are a few of the heavier buffers I fabricated to keep my 5" SBR quiet and these do make a difference.

D356D60F-1EF7-4448-B23E-13DE9BBC07A0_zps

2B38380C-669D-46C3-B063-83EC827AF1C8_zps

Edited by RevolverJockey

The GMR comes with a comp from JP. I count myself lucky in that I got to pick up my very own yesterday from my FFL. It's slick. Had to take it to the range immediately. Loaded up a 33rd Glock stick with a few rounds of factory stuff, a bunch of random range pickup rounds and some of my 147gr minor reloads. It ate every one without a single hiccup.

I spoke with Ben @ JP regarding the effectiveness of the comp when ordering mine and he said that it does make a difference when shooting with and without side-by-side.

Re: video... I can give it a try, though I must confess I'm not too keen on removing my perfectly timed/blended comp from my brand new GMR...

I may actually check with a couple guys nearby and see if they would loan theirs (non-factory) for the "research".

Anyone have experience with these guys? http://www.quartercircle10.com/

If you look at the rifle I posted above, the lower is made by DDLES (the predecessor of sorts of QC10) never had any trouble with it. I do favor the look and function of the colt pattern lowers and the Metalform mags. If you want to discuss it feel free to PM me and give me a call.

Lee

That's pretty significant.

For me it is. It's just a standard AR format carbine. The mag well is specific to colt style, UZI mags. No adapters or spacers etc. for the cost difference one could slowly build upon it to their own taste. In the meantime $800 is a lot of practice! :)

Has anyone seen or heard any provisional division rules yet for PCC? Is PPC going to be an iron sight or red dot division...or both?

It is going to be like Rimfire with an optics, and an iron sights division.