Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Glock Limited Shooters using frame weights

RangerTrace

Nah, I finally got one, that sucker is secure to the frame weight, I found it absolutely unnecessary to drill a hole in my frame to mount the thumb rest. It works really good, but I'm going to have to do some tinkering and slightly adjust my grip. When it recoil the meat of my left hand/thumb area hits the slide stop and causes the slide to stay open every shot. It's hitting the extended part of the slide stop, an annoying but easy fix. The other thing is that there is a hesitation on the part of the slide going back into battery. Again, I think it's my grip, as in maybe my thumb rubbing the slide and causing a hesitation, because when I shoot it strong hand only, it's a non issue. Keep in mind, I have a Zev dragonfly slide, so it's probably catching the slide curs, some may not have this issue with a Glock slide. I'm also running a 13lb recoil spring, a 4lb striker spring, and a 6lb trigger spring.

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nah, I finally got one, that sucker is secure to the frame weight, I found it absolutely unnecessary to drill a hole in my frame to mount the thumb rest. It works really good, but I'm going to have to do some tinkering and slightly adjust my grip. When it recoil the meat of my left hand/thumb area hits the slide stop and causes the slide to stay open every shot. It's hitting the extended part of the slide stop, an annoying but easy fix. The other thing is that there is a hesitation on the part of the slide going back into battery. Again, I think it's my grip, as in maybe my thumb rubbing the slide and causing a hesitation, because when I shoot it strong hand only, it's a non issue. Keep in mind, I have a Zev dragonfly slide, so it's probably catching the slide curs, some may not have this issue with a Glock slide. I'm also running a 13lb recoil spring, a 4lb striker spring, and a 6lb trigger spring.

You could also be having issues with frame flex where the thumb rest is not attached. Look at high speed footage of even an all steel pistol then imagine it worse with a polymer frame

You could also be having issues with frame flex where the thumb rest is not attached. Look at high speed footage of even an all steel pistol then imagine it worse with a polymer frame

Hmm. I hadn't considered that. I'll look into it. Thanks for the tip. It does seem unlikely, I will say, since like I said, when I shoot one handed, the hesitation doesn't happen. Edited by nahanshew89

OK I just did some experimentating with it... you're right. When I hold the gun with my weak hand, my rest hand if you will, and press down hard on the thumb rest while racking the slide, it definitely has an issue closing to battery. So I concede. I will have to hard mount the thumbrest to prevent the frame tweaking. Mine didn't come with that bolt, I bought it second hand, any idea what bolt or what have you I would need?

Edited by nahanshew89

Thinking about milling out my Safariland 014 to allow for the SJC weight. Anybody see any reason why this would not work? I know folks have modded CR Speed holsters, but have not seen anything about 014's.

Do any of the holsters DAA, Ghost ect. leave the slot in the frame rail open for a scope ring. Or put another way witch holster is the shortest/covers the least in front of the trigger guard.

Ah OK sorry about that, I misunderstood the question. In that case, the Ghost Ultimate and the DAA are the two shortest I've personally seen. However, if you're talking about a sight mount that attaches to the frame rail, I believe they'll all need to be modified and cut away to fit. I know SJC offers a service to do it on the Ghost.

Edited by nahanshew89

• 3 weeks later...

I recently added the weight and had a CR Speed holster. I measured for about a week, then in about 15 minutes used a dremel with a sanding drum on it. Sanded down underneath the weight and trigger guard. Pulls smooth as if I never made the mod. Conceivably if I took the weight off, the holster would still function just as if I had not done the mod. Looks amateur for sure and it's fairly rough...but it's a holster not a gun, so I'm ok with it. :-).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Btw. I am a forum vendor. I am working directly with SJC and have some ready to ship. The black ones are .125 the green is a double layer.

image_zpsu5dwxkoi.jpeg

How much? Would they mount to a doh hanger? I'm just curious because I've thought about trying the weight but I don't like open race holsters.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

I recently added the weight and had a CR Speed holster. I measured for about a week, then in about 15 minutes used a dremel with a sanding drum on it. Sanded down underneath the weight and trigger guard. Pulls smooth as if I never made the mod. Conceivably if I took the weight off, the holster would still function just as if I had not done the mod. Looks amateur for sure and it's fairly rough...but it's a holster not a gun, so I'm ok with it. :-).

Post a picture?

I'm about to do the same mod.

Still pulls smooth...I've tried violently snapping it out, I've practiced reverse draw dry fire drills...it works great...I bet I could make it better. At this point, it works and well so there's no need.