Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Using more pressure with the support hand

Salsantini

A few months ago a friend suggested I apply more pressure with my support hand. It has worked very well. I apply less pressure with the strong hand. This allows me to isolate the trigger finger. I have much better control of my shots.

It can be overlooked as easy as holding your breath running a field course. Lol holding my breath and relaxing my weak hand after a long movement where I release the gun was one of my issues. Im getting much better at breathing and squeezing the gun now.

Edited by a matt

Watched this earlier today. Very similar grip to the shannon smith explanation but vogel talks about twisting the hands in, creating an opposing force type of deal. Anyone use this technique?

Edited by CrashDodson

I "try" to use both techniques.

I say I try, because if I forget and the support hand is not tight, the 2nd technique does not work.

If I use the 60% support hand, 40% strong hand, then the opposing forces technique works very well.

One more thing that helped a lot is using the Shotmaxx (I suppose any type of wristband fitted shot counter will work as well) on the support hand. I set it to accelerometer and if the support hand is loose, then it does not pick up some of the shots. This way I can see when I lose the grip and try and fix it (just for FYI, I noticed that about 70% of the time I have a weak support hand on the first shot after a draw and 30% on the shot after atransition from target to target, so I'm working on this)

+1. The Firearms instructors at work always harp on that. There is a whole formula on where the rounds impact that will tell you how you are holding the pistol.

post-48110-0-91957100-1440766320_thumb.j

Edited by Dannybot

A few months ago a friend suggested I apply more pressure with my support hand. It has worked very well. I apply less pressure with the strong hand. This allows me to isolate the trigger finger. I have much better control of my shots.

I read Stoeger's book over the weekend. This is his recommendation

Vogel's lateral pressure technique is effective, but I think less intuitive. What I do in that regard is to focus on bringing my elbows up higher. Camming the weak index finger under the trigger guard is also very effective for me.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I read Stoeger's book over the weekend. This is his recommendation

Yeah and in his DVD he re-emphasizes this. It has worked wonders for my accuracy when I apply it. Lots of dry fire sometimes leads to lazy weak-hand grip for me. I guess that's why it's a good idea to back up dry fire with some live fire to ensure I consistently practice correctly.