Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Where to get an action job?

AzShooter

OK. I've been shooting my 929 for a few weeks and I realize I need an action job.

Since I no longer shoot competition where do you think is the best place to get it done?

I've had APEX do three for me and loved them. Trigger pulls were under 5.5 lbs and ignition was totally reliable. I just don't want to spend that much money this time.

Is anyone reasonable and good. I'd like a 6 to 7 lb trigger with 100 % reliability with Winchester White Box and Federal American Eagle. I need to send the gun to someone to do it because I am housebound and in a wheelchair.

I was thinking of trying it myself but with my new Parensons I just shake too much. Any suggestions?

Joe at www.thebrushcreekltd.com/

I've had action jobs done by some of the big names, but I'll tell you none are as nice as the job he did on my 627 a few months back!

Since handling my 627, a few of my shooting buddies have sent their revolvers and have been just as happy!

My 67 is there now!

I've had action jobs done by some of the big names, but I'll tell you none are as nice as the job he did on my 627 a few months back!

Since handling my 627, a few of my shooting buddies have sent their revolvers and have been just as happy!

My 67 is there now!

Yep!

My 67 is there now!

Joe worked on my 686SSR earlier this year and I'm about to send him another one. He's a hoot to talk with and he does really nice work.

Well, I bought JM's video on doing an action job and did it myself. Just some careful stoning, changing the springs for Wolf 12 lb rebound spring and lighter mainspring, replaced the hammer with an APEX hammer and got the trigger pull down to 6 lbs that works 100 percent with WW White box and American Eagle 115 grain bullets.

It also works great with my reloads that use Federal SP primers.

I really like this gun.

Well, I bought JM's video on doing an action job and did it myself. Just some careful stoning, changing the springs for Wolf 12 lb rebound spring and lighter mainspring, replaced the hammer with an APEX hammer and got the trigger pull down to 6 lbs that works 100 percent with WW White box and American Eagle 115 grain bullets.

It also works great with my reloads that use Federal SP primers.

I really like this gun.

That seems about perfect.

I like his action job video. I begrudgingly say I like his spring contour also. I have 2 929's setup similarly and one has a Jerry spring and a strain screw. The other has the set screw and Jerry contoured ribbed mainspring. I believe the Jerry spring hits harder and does set off Winchester, but I haven't really tested them both exhaustively...yet. Both guns use Apex pins and 13 or 14# rebounds.

I must echo two posts from above. Joe at Mojo Custom Guns (248.867.8685) Is very far priced, his turn around is well within reason and the actions are the best. Here is a photo of just one of the three S&W revolvers he has work over for me. This started out as a 4 inch 64. The other two are 627 and new M66.

post-47411-0-98210300-1440481189_thumb.j

I really like that hammer. How light is your trigger?

It's a tick under 5 lbs. As smooth as you can imagine. Federal primers are a must. I think the Mojo skeletonized hammer is the key. I don't think there is anyone else do those.

Seems like everybody is now stealing the concepts I stole from Randy Lee! :)

Well...If you stole it from Randy...we should call them Apexized then...right?

Randy Lee is an awesomely talented gunsmith and a great gentleman to deal with. His products are very high quality.

I used to dislike the competition firing pin favoring it for the duty firing pin, but have learned it works exceedingly well for small primers.

Bosshoss does nice work (forum member), I have seen some of the guns he did for friends of mine. Mark Itzstein does some nice work, a few guys I know have guns done by him. Mark at Gemini Custom has done some nice work I have seen. I did my 686 at TK and its very nice. And I know a couple guys who had Apex do theirs, and that has been some very nice work.

I must say, the number of guys who are doing revolver jobs out there are growing, which hopefully means that number of revolver shooters is also growing. Along with that, all the work that I have heard about from others has been top notch. Maybe the mighty wheel gun is making a big return!! :bow: