Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Should I get into Limited Class USPSA?

Thaunk

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I put my hands on a Tanfoglio on Saturday at a local gun show. I didn't care for it. I didn't feel like my hands fit the grips properly, didn't like how the controls operated, and it felt unbalanced and heavy. Down to Brazos and a standard STI. If I get an option in the near term I'll try and find a CZ TS 75, but apparently they're rare birds in my area.

I was in a similar situation as you recently. I had been shooting some IDPA, outlaw type matches, and just started USPSA using my G34. I ended up with some extra cash from selling a motorcycle. I bought an STI DVC limited in .40 to shoot USPSA limited class. Two matches with it so far and I love it and have no regrets about the decision. The two 140mm mags that came with the gun run fine with no issues as of yet. I have to agree with previous posters if you go the DVC route you need to reload. Mine didn't like factory length ammo and I experienced several FTFs when I tried using a couple different brands. Since I've been loading my own with OAL of 1.18, those issues have disappeared and it has run with zero issues. I know it's not the popular route, but for reloading I went with a Lee Pro 1000. I know people have had issues, but I have used Lee products for a many years and they work, plus are a bit more friendly to the wallet. Sure, the Lee stuff isnt the same quality as Dillon, but it works and produces accurate ammo if I do my part. I started using Lee stuff because at the time it was all I could afford and honestly since it has worked for me for so long, I have seen no reason to upgrade to Dillon or any other brand. Good luck and have fun with whatever decision you make.

I was in a similar situation as you recently. I had been shooting some IDPA, outlaw type matches, and just started USPSA using my G34. I ended up with some extra cash from selling a motorcycle. I bought an STI DVC limited in .40 to shoot USPSA limited class. Two matches with it so far and I love it and have no regrets about the decision. The two 140mm mags that came with the gun run fine with no issues as of yet. I have to agree with previous posters if you go the DVC route you need to reload. Mine didn't like factory length ammo and I experienced several FTFs when I tried using a couple different brands. Since I've been loading my own with OAL of 1.18, those issues have disappeared and it has run with zero issues. I know it's not the popular route, but for reloading I went with a Lee Pro 1000. I know people have had issues, but I have used Lee products for a many years and they work, plus are a bit more friendly to the wallet. Sure, the Lee stuff isnt the same quality as Dillon, but it works and produces accurate ammo if I do my part. I started using Lee stuff because at the time it was all I could afford and honestly since it has worked for me for so long, I have seen no reason to upgrade to Dillon or any other brand. Good luck and have fun with whatever decision you make.

Loading your own helps, but don't make that a prerequisite to buying an STI. There are a couple people out there offering match grade ammo loaded "long" for STI guns. Universal Ammo and Atlanta Arms and Ammo are two that I know for sure offer long .40 for STIs. I am sure there are others out there.

First, because words have meanings and those meanings matter.....

Limited DIVISION. Not Limited Class. It can be argued that some shooters have Limitted Class though, ....me included.

SECOND......2011's are no different than any other type of firearm. If it requires a gunsmith to be on speed dial it's either a piece of crap or the owner is a dimwit. Unfortunately dimwits don't self identify...........so the guns get the blame. Which is kinda nice because it is easy work for the smith and feeds the family.

THIRD.......Buy the 650, at least the 550. Dillon does not bullshit with the "No Bullshit" policy. Frankly they are the absolute best. I shoot USPSA, ......it's why I have a Dillon 650. If you get bit by the bug hard and really catch the disease like most do,...your idea of "a lot" of rounds is going to change. 3 to 4 thousand a month is not uncommon. You could even go through periods when 3-4 thousand every couple weeks is common. I tried a single stage press for my first year,....ugh! It's workable, but very tiring.

Good luck

First, because words have meanings and those meanings matter.....

Limited DIVISION. Not Limited Class. It can be argued that some shooters have Limitted Class though, ....me included.

SECOND......2011's are no different than any other type of firearm. If it requires a gunsmith to be on speed dial it's either a piece of crap or the owner is a dimwit. Unfortunately dimwits don't self identify...........so the guns get the blame. Which is kinda nice because it is easy work for the smith and feeds the family.

THIRD.......Buy the 650, at least the 550. Dillon does not bullshit with the "No Bullshit" policy. Frankly they are the absolute best. I shoot USPSA, ......it's why I have a Dillon 650. If you get bit by the bug hard and really catch the disease like most do,...your idea of "a lot" of rounds is going to change. 3 to 4 thousand a month is not uncommon. You could even go through periods when 3-4 thousand every couple weeks is common. I tried a single stage press for my first year,....ugh! It's workable, but very tiring.

Good luck

This all you need to know .... don't over think this ....

I tend to agree with the other guys. you have a $3K budget or a stretch of $4k for something special.

I would suggest you get:

dillon 650 setup for 40cal

dillon case feeder

set of lee dies (cheap and excellent)

inlinefab light kit

roller handle

nothing beyond that is 'needed' to run that press. sure there are lots of other bits you can get that are nice, but that above already has one or two things you could do without (case feeder, roller handle).

lyman tumbler with slotted lid and use the lyman green media (it's low dust and you can tumble brass in the laundry or even outside, you just need a bucket to fit on the top to separate the media, no need for an expensive media seperator)

gem20 scale (plenty good enough and about $30)

EGW case gauge (can get the 4 calibre model for $20, will do 9mm, 38 super, 40SW and 45ACP)

given your space contraints consider something like the inline fabrication quick change bench plates, or the http://www.thec4m3ron.com/home/#reloadwhich will enable you to mount the press and easily move it and store it

no need to cast your own. coated lead or CMJ's will be your best bet both for health concerns and performance.

as the other guys mentioned if you spend say $1000 on reloading gear it basically doesn't appreciate. especially the dillon gear since it has a lifetime warranty. in fact I'm sure over time as the price goes up it'll be possible a 650 bought today will be worth more in 5 years time than it was when you bought it. yes there is an opportunity cost of money tied up in the press until you realise it (sell the press). but it's nice to know if you ever decide to bail out you'll get most of that money back.

reloading is more than a cost thing. It means once you're stocked with components no need to hunt stores for your favourite brand of ammo. Plus it's a massive performance gain in USPSA to be loading ammo that is best suited to your gun, the division your shooting (major pf in limited for example) and the way you like to shoot.

That reloading gear above will run maybe $1000.

That leaves $2,000 to $3,000 for a pistol and rig.

I'd suggest you need about $500 for a really nice rig that will last:

Daa race master holster

Daa racer pouches

CR speed or DAA belt

Now down to $1500 to $2500 for gun and mags.

a CZ Tactical Sport will fit that budget nicely. There should even be a few bucks for a few tweaks should you want them (different grips, sights, etc, mag extensions).

That would be a sweet limited setup. You could probably find a 2011 for similar money. or spend less on the reloader (buy a 550 or even a turret press instead) which would leave more $ for the pistol.

reloading will save you some money no doubt. but it offers much more than that. even if reloading cost more than factory I'd still be doing it. There is no factory ammo that would be suitable to make major in my open gun and factory 'target' ammo is sub minor in my production gun while 'defense' ammo is way too hot. So for both those pistols to shoot competition reloading is a must in my eyes.

I need to find somebody who'll let me put hands on the CZ. I've got a couple 1911 single stacks, including an STI Spartan V, so I kinda know what those feel like. When you say "inlinefab light kit", is that an Ott Light? Or is that an option that I've missed on the Dillion website?

Awfaxis, I can only count to ten after I take off my shoes some days! Today may end up one of those days.

Stupid question, does anybody's answer change if my budget changes? Does the STI suddenly become the right gun if I had another $1,000 to spend? Or does something else become the right gun?

Edited by Thaunk

I need to find somebody who'll let me put hands on the CZ. I've got a couple 1911 single stacks, including an STI Spartan V, so I kinda know what those feel like. When you say "inlinefab light kit", is that an Ott Light? Or is that an option that I've missed on the Dillion website?

Awfaxis, I can only count to ten after I take off my shoes some days! Today may end up one of those days.

Stupid question, does anybody's answer change if my budget changes? Does the STI suddenly become the right gun if I had another $1,000 to spend? Or does something else become the right gun?

I don't know how often you get to the KY area, but KY has been one of the top CZ states for the past couple years. A lot of guys I know are running CZs, but that obviously doesn't help very much as you can't put hands on them over the phone/net.

Being from KY, we never have shoes on anyway, always easy to count past ten.

I would doubt that the budget would necessarily change the answers you have received. You're starting with a budget that is beyond what the majority of shooters I know had when they started, myself included. The gun really should be about what you like and what you want out of it. You said the Tanfoglio didn't feel good, don't buy it. Try and put your hands on as many as you can. If you can't put your hands on the CZs but feel ready to buy, then go based off of what you have put your hands on. I'm not the kind of guy who can afford the arms race, so I make changes as necessary to equipment and rely on what limited skills I have and my dashing good looks.

Good luck in the hunt, like I said before, I hope you find a gun that suits you and you're happy with it.

I still think you should shoot what you already own and buy a press. Get the gear you need for those guns/divisions and blast away.

From your posts we can infer that you own a production/ssp gun and 1911's. You could conceivably shoot in every division but revolver with what you own, albeit you would be shooting open without a dot and other high capacity divisions without high cap mags. I think if you buy a cz or a sti you'll start shooting it and wish you had "X" or had done "Y." Use what you have to figure out what X and Y are and then buy the CZ TS (notice I said the TS, mostly for reasons already stated above).

Otherwise I think you'll end up with too much gun for a "weekend warrior," there's really no need for a DVC if you're just going to shoot locals once a month. If you step up to level 2 and higher matches then yes, but at the same time I would probably recommend you get A second one then too...

All I'm trying to say is, let your experiences be your guide as to what division you want to shoot and what gun you're going to use in it...

• 11 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...