Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

STI DVC vs Apeiro

3djedi

I bought the Apeiro back in Feb/March right after placing an order for the DVC (because of the 5-6 month wait) with the intention of selling off the Apeiro when it finally arrived. Well, now that both guns are here I'm having a hard time deciding which one I want to keep and which to sell! I really love both! Most of the time I'm thinking I will keep the Apeiro but then I go out and play with the DVC and really like it. I can't keep both!

Has anyone shot both of these pistols back to back and decided which they like better? Or, do you just have an opinion about which you'd keep? Or, how would you test both pistols to see which one you'd keep?

One thing about the Apeiro is that it has an AET barrel (pro and a con!) and it prefers FMJ bullets (expensive). I've been shooting 180g xtreme plated HP's and it is OK with them but I have noticed that the DVC is quite accurate with them.

Let me know what you'd do in a situation like this.

Thanks!

Edited by 3djedi

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Apiero because I like sight trackers for Limited.

Can always light the slide if you want.

I don't think it need lightening. Remember, there is a huge amount of material removed for the barrel island. Maybe some off the dust cover like the DVC? But probably not.

I'm keeping both because 1) I can, and 2) my Apeiro is 9mm (Steel gun) and my DVC is .40 (Limited).

That said, the slide is about the same weight on both. The heavier barrel and frame on the Apeiro are in its favor. And while the Apeiro barrel hates plated bullets, it shoots SNS Coated bullets great. Ithink the whole TiN barrel is meh - the big plus for me on the DVC is the grip.

So sell the DVC and get an Xtreme or whatever grip for the Apeiro and know you're shooting the best if not the coolest.

I'm keeping both because 1) I can, and 2) my Apeiro is 9mm (Steel gun) and my DVC is .40 (Limited).

That said, the slide is about the same weight on both. The heavier barrel and frame on the Apeiro are in its favor. And while the Apeiro barrel hates plated bullets, it shoots SNS Coated bullets great. Ithink the whole TiN barrel is meh - the big plus for me on the DVC is the grip.

So sell the DVC and get an Xtreme or whatever grip for the Apeiro and know you're shooting the best if not the coolest.

Which SNS bullet do you shoot? I was thinking of ordering a few of the 180g flat point no lube groove to try out. Or would you recommend trying something else?

I tried precision coated bullets and they were pretty good but they smoke like no other. (I'm using titegroup)

Edited by 3djedi

Well, I have the Aperio. See photo. I plane on having the Barell , slide stop, hammer, grip safety Tin coated. Rge its a cool or better the the DVC. The trigger is better also on my Aperio. Its a 40 Limited.

Oh, have a Extreme Shooters Grip...... Wonderfull.

JMHO

:cheers:

post-37223-0-60717200-1437422834_thumb.j

Well, I have the Aperio. See photo. I plane on having the Barell , slide stop, hammer, grip safety Tin coated. Rge its a cool or better the the DVC. The trigger is better also on my Aperio. Its a 40 Limited.

Oh, have a Extreme Shooters Grip...... Wonderfull.

JMHO

:cheers:

That ought to look really nice! Maybe an infinity steel grip?

I bought the Apeiro back in Feb/March right after placing an order for the DVC (because of the 5-6 month wait) with the intention of selling off the Apeiro when it finally arrived. Well, now that both guns are here I'm having a hard time deciding which one I want to keep and which to sell! I really love both! Most of the time I'm thinking I will keep the Apeiro but then I go out and play with the DVC and really like it. I can't keep both!

Has anyone shot both of these pistols back to back and decided which they like better? Or, do you just have an opinion about which you'd keep? Or, how would you test both pistols to see which one you'd keep?

One thing about the Apeiro is that it has an AET barrel (pro and a con!) and it prefers FMJ bullets (expensive). I've been shooting 180g xtreme plated HP's and it is OK with them but I have noticed that the DVC is quite accurate with them.

Let me know what you'd do in a situation like this.

Thanks!

Two is one, one is none... I wouldn't drive to any match without a back up gun for the division I was shooting that day, even at the range 5 min from my house. I would keep them.

I shoot the new style 180 Blue Bullets out of my Apeiro and it shoots extremely well. It did not like 180 Xtremes. I was looking at a DVC (2 of my friends have them) but went with the Apeiro because I like a sight tracker. I am going to replace the trigger with a SVI and maybe a new hammer and sear.

I shoot the new style 180 Blue Bullets out of my Apeiro and it shoots extremely well. It did not like 180 Xtremes. I was looking at a DVC (2 of my friends have them) but went with the Apeiro because I like a sight tracker. I am going to replace the trigger with a SVI and maybe a new hammer and sear.

Which style blue bullets do you use? I think I saw 3 different types of 180g bullets.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

I shot 3 different bullets today and the DVC produced tighter groups on all of them. This was 25 yards free style.

180g xtreme HP's (plated)

185g precision coated lead

180g MG jacketed HP's

I shot 3 different bullets today and the DVC produced tighter groups on all of them. This was 25 yards free style.

180g xtreme HP's (plated)

185g precision coated lead

180g MG jacketed HP's

Are you going to keep both now?

We've had multiple specimen's of both come through at work. The Aperio's are better guns. The Schumann barrel is actually worth the added price over an Edge (yet still a little less than the DVC). Never mind the island feature, its a much better barrel.

IMO the DVC is an Edge with cheaply applied lip stick. I expected to be very disappointed with the DVC. Once I actually saw them, I think the DVC is accurately priced, but way over hyped. The added value is only skin deep. There is nothing wrong with them, but folks who thought it was going to be comperable to a true custom SV, Grunhauser, Freedom, Akai, Hayes, ect are sorely mistaken.

I'd keep the Aperio...not even a tough call.

I bench rested the two pistols using three different bullet types that I have. Extreme 180g plated HP's, Montana gold 180g JHP's, and Precision coated 180g bullets. I'm not much of a bench rest shooter but here's how it turned out:

STI Apeiro (25 yards bench rest)

----------------------------------------

Xtreme plated HP's 2.75" group (5 shots)

Montana Gold JHP 4.00"

Precision coated 4.00"

STi DVC (25 yard bench rest)

-----------------------------------------

Extreme plated HP's 2.00" group

Montana Gold JHP 2.50"

Precision coated 2.165"

Interesting outcome. The DVC grouped tighter and the MG JHP's performed the worst out of the three for both guns

I did the same test using just a standing offhand grip.

STI Apeiro (25 yards offhand)

----------------------------------------

Xtreme plated HP's 4.00" group (5 shots)

Montana Gold JHP 4.50" group

Precision coated 4.00" group

STi DVC (25 yard offhand)

-----------------------------------------

Extreme plated HP's 3.25"

Montana Gold JHP 1.65"

Precision coated 2.50"

Interesting to note that the DVC, again, grouped tighter over the Apeiro with it's Accuracy enhancing technology. Also, seemed to get better groups offhand! Must be a lot of luck in there.

The Apeiro has a stock trigger and a break at about 3.5 lbs. The DVC also has a stock trigger but breaks at about 3lbs. Do you think a 1/2 lbs would make the difference that I'm seeing here?

Edited by 3djedi

lol..... I don't know. I think I shoot the Apeiro better at actual matches. The sight tracker is great for quicker shooting in my opinion. But I'm just a little flabbergasted the DVC seems to be more accurate over the Apeiro with it's AET barrel, that's supposed to enhance accuracy, and it's island barrel is supposed to provide tighter lock-up for better accuracy. So why doesn't it have better accuracy? This bugs me. LOL