Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

anyone have a strike eagle yet ? do you like it?

• 3 weeks later...

The wife and I both got them about a week ago. You can definitely tell it's an entry level scope. It's also not a true 1x More like 1.25 or so. The reticle is daylight bright on 11.

It's not as clear as my Leupold Mark AR 1.5-4x was, but overall for the money, I'm happy with it until I fall into a smoking deal on a Swaro (as if that's a possibility LOL)

It's ok mine, is 1x on the bottom end (when I got it adjusted) and it's bright enough that i'd say it's marginaly daylight bright (say brighter than a burris tac 30 but dimmer than a meopta, vortex razor etc.) The glass is ok and I like the recticle.

Is it a 1k+ scope? No it isn't, but seems to be a very good entry level scope. Will it hold zero and hold up I guess time will tell.

Edited by caspian guy

I have one and like it a lot so far. Mine is a true 1x when adjusted correctly and is also daylight bright. I am also using a Bobro mount and the SV-4 throw lever. I haven't used many scopes to compare it too, but the glass is very clear. I can easily keep both eyes open and shoot at 1x as well as 6x. The one wired thing is the magnification settings are backwards compared to other scopes. Not a huge deal for me but worth mentioning. Personally, I'm just starting to get into multi gun, and couldn't justify spending $1000 or more for just a scope quite yet. When I am ready to, the Strike Eagle will either go on my sons gun or the 15/22. For $329 I am very happy. The Bobro mount and throw lever are also very good.

Not knocking the SE at all, but those that keep saying that it is daylight bright are way off in comparison to high end 3 gun scopes. It is nothing like a swaro or razor in terms of illumination. I would say maaaaaybe just a little brighter than a tac 30 but not by much if at all.

It is an entry level scope and will get you into a 6x for under $400. Glass is pretty decent, but again not swaro or razor glass.

Would I recommend anyone to get it; yes

Would I recommend it over its big brother; only if money is the only deciding factor

I had one, and was the first to post a S.E. for sale on the classifieds. I am just not a doughnut guy, which limits scope a great deal. For the money, it is a very good scope and enough has been said about how good Vortex to deal with in the industry. I would love it if it was only the aiming tree in it without the doughnut. Wow, a cop that does not like doughnuts !!!

I compared my Vortex PST 1-4 with my friends Strike Eagle. It was not daylight visible in the bright western sunlight, that was not a suprise. The retlcle lines are thicker which I personally have difficulty with at distance, I need a fine line. The glass is pretty good with a little distortion around the edges, which I also expected. Focusing off into the sagebrush, they both were pretty comparable. His previous scope was a Burris MTAC and those dots did not work for me at distance, he said he liked the new ranging reticle a little better.

Not a real detailed eval.

• 4 weeks later...

I just got my Strike Eagle last night. For the price it looks very nice. I hope to get it mounted up later this week and try it out. Its replacing a Burris MTAC 1-4x. Hopefully will post some more details later.

I haven't shot one but I have looked through a few on rifles at matches. For the price it looks really really good. If it had been out two or three years ago I probably would have bought one instead of the Razor, just because I'm thrifty like that.

That being said, there's no way I'm going to sell my Razor now that I have one. :bow:

I suspect that added the donut to have more surface for the illumination to light up, enhancing illuminated visibility in bright daylight. I really prefer the Razor reticle, in that I don't like donuts and I don't find illumination to be helpful on targets beyond 200 yards. The Strike Eagle reticle is still light years better than the enormous dots on the MTAC. The JM-1 is close to perfect for 3-gun, I wouldn't have minded a few more marks for full value wind.

• 2 weeks later...

I just got my Strike Eagle last night. For the price it looks very nice. I hope to get it mounted up later this week and try it out. Its replacing a Burris MTAC 1-4x. Hopefully will post some more details later.

Finally got out to the range to try out my new Strike Eagle. Very easy to sight in with precise turrets. I love the reticle. Coming from the Burris MTAC, the reticle is less cluttered for long, precise shots. Yet the post are thick enough for quick sight alignment on close to mid-range targets. Very nice glass clarity for the price. No complaints yet. Now i just need a quick throw lever.

• 2 weeks later...

I finally got my SE delivered, mounted up and sighted. I admit that I had a little buyers remorse at first look. This is my first 1x variable scope, so maybe my expectations were a little high. The "fish-eye" at 1x was pretty pronounced at first just viewing the scope in-hand. In addition, there seems to be some image distortion in the image about halfway between the reticle and top of the FOV at 1x. The image gets pretty fuzzy at the limits of the FOV in all magnification settings. When compared to my Redfield Revolution 2-7 at equal magnification, the Redfield is clearly better.

I mounted the scope and started adjusting the diopter. The conclusion I have come to is that it's a balancing act between eliminating fisheye at 1x and crispness of image at all other magnifications. There was no "perfect" setting for me. I did have an issue with image focus at 100yds on an 8" Shoot-n-see target. I never could get a real clear image of target and reticle. My best 3 shot group was 1.75" with most about 2".

That's all the bad. Here's the good:

Once I threw in the towel on an MOA group, I started shooting for fun. That went much better. The first three shots on a 200yrd 10" steel went "DING" as did the first three on the 300yrd steel. The BDC reticle seems to work well for the 55gr Fiocchi I'm running. The 100, 200, and 300 yrd aiming points seem spot on. The illumination was a real plus as it was an overcast, foggy morning. The black reticle that disappeared on the black target was easily visible with all but the lowest illumination setting. It's also worth noting that all adjustments feel good and solid. I had the opportunity to view the SE alongside the Viper PST 1-4 and, while the clarity of the PST IS better, the fisheye is comparable. I do actually prefer the SE reticle.

Reserving final judgement until after the first match shot with it, I'll say the buyers remorse I had in the beginning has all but dissipated. I'm willing to cede a little benefit of the doubt about the optical quality to the day's atmospheric conditions. My end result after one range session is as others have said. That is; the SE is not a scope to shoot tiny groups or score a whitetail rack at distance. It DOES seem to be the best 3gun Tac Ops entry or playtime steel ringer.

I finally got my SE delivered, mounted up and sighted. I admit that I had a little buyers remorse at first look. This is my first 1x variable scope, so maybe my expectations were a little high. The "fish-eye" at 1x was pretty pronounced at first just viewing the scope in-hand. In addition, there seems to be some image distortion in the image about halfway between the reticle and top of the FOV at 1x. The image gets pretty fuzzy at the limits of the FOV in all magnification settings. When compared to my Redfield Revolution 2-7 at equal magnification, the Redfield is clearly better.

I mounted the scope and started adjusting the diopter. The conclusion I have come to is that it's a balancing act between eliminating fisheye at 1x and crispness of image at all other magnifications. There was no "perfect" setting for me. I did have an issue with image focus at 100yds on an 8" Shoot-n-see target. I never could get a real clear image of target and reticle. My best 3 shot group was 1.75" with most about 2".

Once I threw in the towel on an MOA group, I started shooting for fun. That went much better. The first three shots on a 200yrd 10" steel went "DING" as did the first three on the 300yrd steel. The BDC reticle seems to work well for the 55gr Fiocchi I'm running. The 100, 200, and 300 yrd aiming points seem spot on. The illumination was a real plus as it was an overcast, foggy morning. The black reticle that disappeared on the black target was easily visible with all but the lowest illumination setting. It's also worth noting that all adjustments feel good and solid. I had the opportunity to view the SE alongside the Viper PST 1-4 and, while the clarity of the PST IS better, the fisheye is comparable. I do actually prefer the SE reticle.

Reserving final judgement until after the first match shot with it, I'll say the buyers remorse I had in the beginning has all but dissipated. I'm willing to cede a little benefit of the doubt about the optical quality to the day's atmospheric conditions. My end result after one range session is as others have said. That is; the SE is not a scope to shoot tiny groups or score a whitetail rack at distance. It DOES seem to be the best 3gun Tac Ops entry or playtime steel ringer.

What size groups do you get with your PST?

Never shot one. The one I had to compare the SE to was my shooting partner's. I turned down the offer to shoot it for fear of getting myself more confused.

Never shot one. The one I had to compare the SE to was my shooting partner's. I turned down the offer to shoot it for fear of getting myself more confused.

Sorry I was confused about the reason for your comment about not being able to get a MOA group. Do you regularly shoot MOA with that gun and a different 1-6x scope?

It sounded like you were suggesting the SE's poor glass wasn't able to let you achieve your normal results.

Sorry I was confused about the reason for your comment about not being able to get a MOA group. Do you regularly shoot MOA with that gun and a different 1-6x scope?

It sounded like you were suggesting the SE's poor glass wasn't able to let you achieve your normal results.

If your take away was that I was blaming the scope for not shooting an MOA group, then I guess my writing skills are on par with my shooting abilities. ^_^ The "threw in the towel on an MOA group" was a little tongue in cheek. The only other magnified optic shooting I've done with this rifle is with 77gr Nosler CC's. and an M223 3-12x42. Some of those groups were inside an MOA. All were certainly better than the SE worst of about 2.5. The optical clarity of the SE MAY NOT be the main factor in the larger groupings, but it didn't help on that day under those conditions.

That was just supposed to be an accurate-as-possible recount of my first sight in and range session with the SE. I hope to get out soon and give it another try. If I get similar results, I may start playing around with other set ups to compare. But, like I said, the positives of the SE already outweigh any optical shortcomings, IMHO, for my use. Ringing those 200 and 300 yrd gongs was something I just couldn't do with the 3MOA red dot the SE replaced.

If your take away was that I was blaming the scope for not shooting an MOA group, then I guess my writing skills are on par with my shooting abilities. ^_^ The "threw in the towel on an MOA group" was a little tongue in cheek. The only other magnified optic shooting I've done with this rifle is with 77gr Nosler CC's. and an M223 3-12x42. Some of those groups were inside an MOA. All were certainly better than the SE worst of about 2.5. The optical clarity of the SE MAY NOT be the main factor in the larger groupings, but it didn't help on that day under those conditions.

That was just supposed to be an accurate-as-possible recount of my first sight in and range session with the SE. I hope to get out soon and give it another try. If I get similar results, I may start playing around with other set ups to compare. But, like I said, the positives of the SE already outweigh any optical shortcomings, IMHO, for my use. Ringing those 200 and 300 yrd gongs was something I just couldn't do with the 3MOA red dot the SE replaced.

Roger that. I'm tracking now. I was thinking you might have had a really crappy scope or something because it was causing that bad if vision through it. Personally I struggle to shoot sub MOA or even MOA groups with a low power variable 1-6. I bet I shoot 1/5 groups below MOA with only 6x. I simply can't see well enough to shoot the same exact hold everytime, I think.

We have some sunshine for a change this morning so I just took it out to verify. My image clarity IS very dependent on the diopter setting. When set to eliminate fisheye at 1x and close range, pine needles at about 100yds are not discernible at 6x. Crank the diopter down to the negative about 3/4 turn to bottom out and the needles are nice and crisp. I'll just have to see what is more important when running and gunning and/or change my setting according to the stage set up. If I don't ever get better than 2MOA out of this rifle/scope pairing, I'll still be satisfied.

I have mine on a PSA upper, 16" 1/7 using the Vortex cantilever mount. I've had it out three times now. Did the initial 50 yard zero with 62gr M855 and 62gr FMJ from Freedom Munitions, then some 1x, five to ten meter drills. Second time was more 1x drills and out to 100. I was five for five on clay's at a 100 standing supported on the side of a VTAC. Left that day pretty confident. Last week went to a known distance range to confirm my distances. The pic is at 200 yds with Freedom Munitions 69gr hpbt. That's a 3" square. In my defense (my excuse), wind was 20-30mph, full value at right to left. 300 yard group was worse. BDC was spot on with both 62gr's out to 300 and the 69 grain was consistently low with what you see.

This is my first variable on an AR. I have shot a lot of sniper systems but there's no need to compare the two types of scopes. Going from an Eotech to the Strike Eagle, the distortion at 1x really stood out when I was first dry firing at the house. I don't notice it now. As far as the illumination, in bright sunlight the reticle doesn't always glow like it does inside but when put on a dark target is still contrasts well. If I could get another one I'd put it on my M4 at work.

My novice 3 gun eval,

IMG_20151018_114929.jpg