Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Can a SCAR16 compete with an AR?

45Fundi

I read lots of SCAR pros/cons and with all the comparisons no one seems to ever really compare how they shoot against each other... so can a SCAR 16 compete with a AR in competition?

(and yes I know there are many different AR setups for competition... just curious if one has a significant advantage over the other?)

Yes, The FN-USA team competes with SCAR platform. I used to Compete with the ACR platform. But you will have to change the trigger and find the right ammo that runs well with the gun. I had also change my muzzle flash hider to an AAC muzzle break and used a Geissele AR-3GUN trigger

Only disadvantage is these guns are little heavier.

SCARs are cool rifles and have a bit of a reliability advantage over the AR. But a properly maintained AR doesn't suffer from reliability problems.

It's the archer, not the bow, that determines final placement in a 3 gun match. It just so happens most of the archers choose to use an AR. If you like the SCAR, by all means, use the SCAR. A different platform won't raise/lower your overall match performance.

I guess I was wanting to know if the cyclic rate and recoil impulse and triggers available allowed them to be truly competitive? If the same shooter were to shoot either would the splits be different?

I guess I was wanting to know if the cyclic rate and recoil impulse and triggers available allowed them to be truly competitive? If the same shooter were to shoot either would the splits be different?

Splits don't win matches either. They usually don't even separate 32nd place from 31st.

Are you wanting to compare a tuned gas, low mass operating system AR15 to a stock SCAR? (I'm not aware of anyone making low mass components or adjustable gas blocks for SCAR.)

Triggers- Timney and Geisselle both make them for SCAR. Choose from about 20 "match" triggers for the AR. Advantage= AR.

Again- the SCAR is a really nice rifle. They are accurate, dead reliable, and look cool to boot. But, it doesn't have the aftermarket presence nor the years of use by competitive shooters to turn it into a high performance competition rifle.

I wouldn't be worried about splits, I have a scar 16 with the Geissele super scar trigger and no other upgrades. I can consistently get .11 splits with it. I shoot my buddies Noveske ar15 with a Geissele super dynamic 3 gun trigger and I get the same splits. The groups are about the same too but like Bryan 45 said I wouldn't worry about splits.

Splits don't win matches either. They usually don't even separate 32nd place from 31st.

There is so much truth in this statement. I wish I had really understood this when building a dedicated 3gun rifle and saved money for ammo.

No, I'm looking for facts based on the mechanical function of a stock AR (gas length does not matter any will do) and a stock SCAR 16. I'm not interested in Gaming tactics or advice. I am trying to learn about the mechanical function differences between the two systems. If anyone know I'd love to hear about them. Thanks for the replies.

Here is how it was described to me. AR uses a big spring and lighter bolt. A SCAR uses a heavier bolt and smaller springs. I have shot a few and they seem to have a different recoil impulse. Very cool rifles, just out of my budget now

The SCAR 16 can be quite competitive against the AR given the right type of match. Quick, run n gun rifle stages with targets under 50 yds the AR's have the edge in speed. On mid and long range courses, the 16 is quite capable.

The SCAR 17 rules over 308 AR's. They are one of the softest shooting 308's on the market.

...although my opinion may be considered biased... :)

Edited by Bear1142

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Thanks for all the answers! I just wanted to know if you took two "stock rifles" (and as like rifles as possible) in each platform if one had any inherent mechanical/performance advantages or disadvantages against the other from its original design standpoint.