Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Kimber (or SIG?) 9mm for first gun?

Not sure why you want a 9mm SS? That puts you at a big scoring disadvantage

when shooting against .45's shooting Major loads (vs 9mm's Minor loads). :surprise:

that's only really true at SS nationals. I would say in most local and major matches that I've attended, it's pretty even. (I've been shooting SS all year, some major, some minor).

that sig is a good looking gun. I have commemorative engraved sig 1911 for my work, and I like it a bunch.

Edited by motosapiens

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You guys are getting me so stoked - I can't wait for this thing to come!! I'm pretty sure I found exactly what I wanted so thanks for lending an ear :)

I chose 9mm because it's my first gun. I can always get a second gun if I find that I'm taking the sport that seriously, and then I'll have a better idea of what division and gun to shoot. The 9mm does have more rounds per mag, and I believe Alphas are the same for major and minor?

Sig's manual doesn't give details for breaking the gun down beyond a field strip. The website doesn't even say anything about the ambi safety nor is it pictured in the product page. I will look for videos and parts diagrams online. Sig says not to take the gun down beyond field stripping - maybe they all say that, but Sig seems to give very little information about disassembly. I was planning on a complete tear down and rebuild before shooting it, but maybe I will just do a basic field-strip cleaning.

I found aftermarket extractors available online but I'm not going to start buying parts until I've made it past the break-in period at least. I read that the newer extractors are made of a stronger material than the older (~2006) extractors, and also see the P226 and similar guns use a similar style extractor.

Should I get both 115gr and 124gr ammo to start with, or just shoot 500-1000rds of one type to get comfortable with the gun?

The Sig ambi safety is easy to remove. Just remember to take the left side off first. Then rotate the right side counterclockwise to clear the hammer pin and remove. Try both weights, plus some 147gr and see what you like. I used 147gr for steel that had to be knocked over and pins. I used both the 115 and 124 for competition, depending on what I could get.

I have an STI Trojan Lite in 9mm and like it a lot.

If you go the STI route check our Dawson Precision as he will install a good magwell and an extended and tapped mag release button as well as part of his competition ready package.

I can't get past the external extractor on the Sig 1911's - that's not how JMB designed it.

I can't get past the external extractor on the Sig 1911's - that's not how JMB designed it.

JMB didn't design bigazz magwells and FO sights and skate tape and magazine spacers and so forth either. He probably didn't even drink beer, so his judgement is suspect.

JMB didn't design bigazz magwells and FO sights and skate tape and magazine spacers and so forth either. He probably didn't even drink beer, so his judgement is suspect.

Excellent points (especially the one about the beer)

Is there 'steel to be knocked over' in SS competitions? If not, less variation is better I think. I'd like to get to know the gun well enough to appreciate the difference in ammo before switching bullet weights.

I'm about to sign up for CCW next weekend since they have NRA training included. I'm also thinking I should go to 'friday night steel' or a falling plates match before practical shooting. Does that make sense? (Friday night steel looks like the targets don't fall).

I appreciate that some don't like deviations from the original Colt 1911; the Sig is definitely a '1911 style' firearm and not a gun for nostalgia. I don't want to make this an extractor debate thread since I still have a lot to learn about shooting, but there is some interesting information here:

http://forums.1911forum.com/showpost.php?p=4217101&postcount=37

Edited by StraightSh00ter

Steel can be and is regularly knocked over with 115g bullets as long as they make power factor. All I use is 115g bullets. They're cheap, accurate and work as well as any other weight bullet. Felt recoil impulse varies with bullet weight but that (bullet weight) is just one variable affecting felt recoil.

Is there 'steel to be knocked over' in SS competitions? If not, less variation is better I think. I'd like to get to know the gun well enough to appreciate the difference in ammo before switching bullet weights.

I'm about to sign up for CCW next weekend since they have NRA training included. I'm also thinking I should go to 'friday night steel' or a falling plates match before practical shooting. Does that make sense? (Friday night steel looks like the targets don't fall).

I appreciate that some don't like deviations from the original Colt 1911; the Sig is definitely a '1911 style' firearm and not a gun for nostalgia. I don't want to make this an extractor debate thread since I still have a lot to learn about shooting, but there is some interesting information here:

http://forums.1911forum.com/showpost.php?p=4217101&postcount=37

Depends what you're trying to do. You can definitely work on transitions on steel, but scoring steel is much more analog than shooting any sport that scores paper, where hit location matters. So it's a good "gateway drug" but I don't think it's necessarily good to do one before doing the other. Trigger time period is going to help, nearly regardless of discipline because you'll have a ton of room to improve before you're really struggling with the nuances of the different games.

I was thinking just in terms of being comfortable or familiar with firearms in a contest setting. I guess I'm a little nervous about being a new shooter. Are the commands and stuff similar at different NRA/shooting events? I don't know any of the commands let alone having to actually perform them with people around.

I will go to a contest before expecting to shoot in one.

It would be easier on the bank account to do CCW next month, but it also seems like a small price to pay for safety.

Joe

Its always good to get some instruction especially if your new to handguns.

A lot of us still go to trainers and classes for learning the best way to do stuff we can't or can not do well.

We're trying to get Max M from SIG to come to our area and do a class/classes it's alot of money to bring him in but we've got guys staying they'll come from Master class to D class shooters, they all want to learn more / get better. (Max only works with B;'s and above I'm told)

I digress: get a lot of ammo and shoot the snot out of your gun and then shoot it some more.

As money is available and you choose which game you want to play you'll get the idea of what to add. as said before, front sight and magwells are the usual firsts

My SIG's all run great, I've got Colts, SA, Dan Wesson's, Wilson's etc and the SIG's run along with all of them

Good fortune on your shooting and new gun

jcc7x7

Edited by jcc7x7

you'll want some basic instruction and some instruction on tactical skills: draw, reload, clearing malfunctions. Following these familiarization steps you'll need a range at which you can practice these skills. In some parts of the country such ranges can be hard to find.

Setting aside the scoring difference (in some sports) between 9mm and 45ACP, 9mm is much less expensive to shoot. If you really get into competition I see a reloading bench in your future.

So I'm wondering if there's anything that would make this a 'bad choice' for a first gun.

With all the mass made brands, most of them are OK but some of them have built in problems. Nothing inherently wrong with Kimber that I know of, but all mass made guns hammer them together and quality is spotty.

That's the reason I own one Para (mass made) and two STI Trojans (fitted) 1911's. The Para was my learning curve. The STI's will run about $300 - $400 more than a Kimber, Colt, Para, SA and the rest, but you get a lot more than that in improved quality IMHO.

Edited by bountyhunter

Thanks Jcc, Rick, Dave...

Maybe I will hang out in the beginners' forum to cover topics like preparation before a first match and keep this thread more gun related. I am also one who likes to learn and improve - I get bored if I don't. I'm sure I'd make it out OK if I showed up at an event, but I think I'd have some more confidence with a little professional instruction under my belt.

I've thought (probably too much) about reloading and am trying like heck to not get too far ahead of myself. I will see how much I actually shoot then decide if I'm willing to pay for the RL550B, or if I want to endure some pain with the Lee 1000 and save a few bucks which I know won't really be worth it ;) The only things I've bought besides the gun are a little cleaner and oil, and 100rds. I'll pick up the rest of the cleaning stuff I need when I get the gun (which will be here Monday!! :) ), and will go ahead and order a holster and mag pouches so they're here for my class.

2pc belts are OK for SS division, correct? I think it said 'no race belts' in the rules which now I take it must mean something other than a 2-piece belt.

I will see how much I actually shoot then decide if I'm willing to pay for the RL550B, or if I want to endure some pain with the Lee 1000 and save a few bucks which I know won't really be worth it ;)

You are right, the saving a few bucks to buy the Lee 1000 is not worth it! My quality of life improved drastically when I bought a 550. Keeping the Lee 1000 running was practically a separate hobby-the kind you always want to quit and never participate in again.

Inner/outer belt setups are great and allowed in USPSA. They are not allowed in IDPA, so some people just use the inner there.

SS, the steel targets in USPSA are supposed to be calibrated for minor PF rounds. Mostly they are and can be knocked down with a 115gr as long as you hit the sweet spot or higher. At other matches, that may not be the case. At one of my clubs, the steel poppers activate other targets. The heavier the bullet, the faster they fall and the faster you can shoot the activated target. Heavier bullets are also much better for pin matches.

I'll recommend again that you buy all three bullet weights and try them out. You may feel you like the recoil pulse of one weight better than the others. Personally, I prefer the 124s. It will only take a box or two each to find out if you have a preference. Then buy a lot of your fav and practice. Practice and shoot in local unsanctioned matches or leagues to gain confidence.

Kind of overthinking this bro. It is all applied fundamentals at the end of the day and you are getting way ahead of yourself. Get the gun, learn to handle it and shoot it safely then reevaluate what you ought to be doing as you better understand your specific needs. Until you really get the bug you are fine mail ordering freedom munitions in bulk. Get the gun and get shooting it then figure it out. For a long time it won't be the gun in your way.

Sent from an iDevice. Please forgive any grammatical or spelling errors. If the post doesn't make sense or is not amusing then it is technology's fault and most certainly not operator error.

Thanks - I agree, right now its all about getting experience and practice. I went out to a club with a couple of friends yesterday and had a so much fun! It was reassuring to be with friends as all my handgun shooting has been alone until this past week. So that made me feel a lot more comfortable. I am on the waiting list for one club and about to be on one for a second, and cannot wait for all this to be a reality. So I picked up a few hundred rounds of 115gr ammo afterward.

I think growing up in NJ (9mi from NYC) has made me a little anxious about guns. I was exposed to hunting when I moved to VT but never had a legal introduction to handguns. That being said, I've always been good with air powered guns (BB/Pellet/Airsoft/Paintball) and was the rifle shooting camp champ in the Scouts way back when. So I will keep doing the range and club thing and get to a Friday Night Steel contest pretty soon. I'm signed up for CCW in 2 weeks (includes NRA safety training, range time, etc).

What's the story with 1911's and 'the box' - does one need to be careful when choosing a magwell, and do the 10rd mags fit with this gun? I'm not going to buy any of this stuff until I've shot what I have in a contest setting, but I do like looking at and thinking gear :)

I have the Dawson Ice on all of my competition 1911s and even with a bomar style rear sight, they fit in the box fine.

If you are not a handloader, do NOT buy a 9mm 1911. They are the most finicky handgun there is regarding bullet selection, COAL, etc. If you are expecting your gun to run with whatever factory ammunition you can pick up, it is virtually guaranteed that a 9mm 1911 will let you down. If others show up and say otherwise, they're welcome to that opinion, but my experience demonstrates otherwise. I shot a USPSA match just yesterday with my own 9mm 1911 and I shoot thousands of rounds through it every year, but I know its limits. I do not carry it on the street and I am very careful about what I load for it because it can be finicky. Loading longer and using round bullets works. Hollowpoints and short COALs are a recipe for malfunctions.

I only use the 10 round Tripp Research magazines. They are the same length as any other (full sized) 1911 magazine and will not impair your gun from fitting in the box.

Thanks - I agree, right now its all about getting experience and practice. I went out to a club with a couple of friends yesterday and had a so much fun! It was reassuring to be with friends as all my handgun shooting has been alone until this past week. So that made me feel a lot more comfortable. I am on the waiting list for one club and about to be on one for a second, and cannot wait for all this to be a reality. So I picked up a few hundred rounds of 115gr ammo afterward.

I think growing up in NJ (9mi from NYC) has made me a little anxious about guns. I was exposed to hunting when I moved to VT but never had a legal introduction to handguns. That being said, I've always been good with air powered guns (BB/Pellet/Airsoft/Paintball) and was the rifle shooting camp champ in the Scouts way back when. So I will keep doing the range and club thing and get to a Friday Night Steel contest pretty soon. I'm signed up for CCW in 2 weeks (includes NRA safety training, range time, etc).

What's the story with 1911's and 'the box' - does one need to be careful when choosing a magwell, and do the 10rd mags fit with this gun? I'm not going to buy any of this stuff until I've shot what I have in a contest setting, but I do like looking at and thinking gear :)

You'll be fine for a while. Stuff that wouldn't go amiss in upgrading initially would be a fiber front sight and a mag well (dawson Ice as others have said, or Techwell if you want grippier grips too). Priority 1 is getting the gun to run reliably. No slides locking back early, or not locking back. No issues feeding, failing to return to battery etc.

I have the Dawson Ice on all of my competition 1911s and even with a bomar style rear sight, they fit in the box fine.

If you are not a handloader, do NOT buy a 9mm 1911. They are the most finicky handgun there is regarding bullet selection, COAL, etc. If you are expecting your gun to run with whatever factory ammunition you can pick up, it is virtually guaranteed that a 9mm 1911 will let you down.

I haven't actually tried factory ammo in my 9mm 1911, but I've only ever loaded my 9mm rounds to pretty much the same specs as WWB in terms of bullet shape, OAL, etc...

If you are not a handloader, do NOT buy a 9mm 1911. They are the most finicky handgun there is regarding bullet selection, COAL, etc. If you are expecting your gun to run with whatever factory ammunition you can pick up, it is virtually guaranteed that a 9mm 1911 will let you down.

I haven't actually tried factory ammo in my 9mm 1911, but I've only ever loaded my 9mm rounds to pretty much the same specs as WWB in terms of bullet shape, OAL, etc...

I've never have an issue with factory or reloaded ammo with any bullet profiles in my Springfield Loaded Target 9mm and Metal Form 10 round mags. Accurate as hell and super shiny. It is heavily upgraded though but just to fix the loose fitting and crappy factory small parts.

.40S&W 1911 is a bit pickier about bullets until I got it sorted out, now runs anything I feed it.

My Sprinfield loaded runs with everything, reloads and factory. Funny have a 1911 in 40 and that is finicky.

Get your basics down first, get comfortable with it and your shooting, not discouraging doing matches far from it just saying seen too many new to guns and competition trying to compete, getting discouraged or worse. Picking up bad habits which are a lot harder to fix then learning the right way first.

Some good advice, thanks. My plan right now is to just make sure I'm using 'new' ammo with brass casings from a reputable brand, and to shoot as much as time/cash permits.

Unfortunately I got a bit of a tease - I went to pick up the gun today and after fondling it for 10min I was told my background check was 'delayed' - hopefully just a network error as the system was down today. My dad passed away not too long ago and we have the same name so it could be something like that too.

I'm glad I haven't bought too much stuff for it yet but I did order 3x Tripp 10rd mags which shipped today.