Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

High temp options during hot summer matches

Dubletap45

Here in central Oklahoma we routinely shoot in daytime temperatures above 100 degrees in the shade. During a match the tablets are often in direct sunlight and if not careful they will shut down due to high temperatures. We are using a mixture of kindle and nook devices. Each have their positives and negatives. Kindles are faster but the screen is hard to see in bright daylight, the nooks are easy to see but slower. With respect to the temperature issue we basically can't use a kindle in the summer and are forced to use only the nook because the kindles seem much more prone to high temp shutdown. While the nooks are better as the heat rises they also seem more temprimental and have issues in the summer. We have everything in protective cases.

I was wondering if anyone else in the south has found any solution to the high temperatures. We have about 8 nook devices and 4 kindles so we're pretty invested in equipment. A different platform is certainly an option, but we'd prefer a solution to keep using what we already have.

I appreciate any info you could share

Matt

Oklahoma City

At Rio Salado in AZ, there are insulated lunch bags with an ice pack to keep the iPads in between squads. Honestly though, there usually isn't a break in the action and they chug along pretty well.

I've only started to work the scoring pads at Phoenix rod and gun club the last four weeks. Temps probably got close to 105 but I didnt experience any issues with the tablets we use. I'll be sure to find out what make and model we use this weekend.

Sometimes, protective cases help them retain heat and therefore shut down faster so taking them out of anything that traps the heat is helpful. We try to keep ours in the shade as much as possible and in little boxes. I just picked up an ice pack to use under it if needed also. If you put them in coolers, be careful of the condensation. Moisture is a killer also.

We have a Plastic 'Ammo' box for each stage. it has the stapler, tape, a pen, a wrench, staples and a few odd bits and pieces. We ask people to 'PLACE' not 'TOSS' the Nook and the Timer in the box when they are done on a stage. Keeping the units out of direct sunlight seems to do the trick for the most part.

Two biggest issues we see with the nooks is DUST and water. If your Nook is acting funny, you touch the 8 and get a 1 and similar, try lightly blowing it. Just put it up to your lips and blow along each edge, your Nook will love you for it. As alternative, I have purchased some small paste brushes, the kind used for soilder flux and also some slip on erasers like we used to use in school to slip over the opposite end of the brush so as to allow its use as a stylus.

And with this I am done. (for now)

What about a cooler with some dry ice and some desiccant packs? Should keep them cool and keep the moisture of them. I have considered the desiccant in a cooler just for the area where our club is (Louisville area). The summers don't always get hot, but they tend to be pretty sticky (86% humidity today).

Just my opinion, but dry ice is probably too cold and one does have to be a bit careful not to touch it.

A cooler with a couple cold packs if it gets really hot. Usually just keeping the Nooks and Timers out of direct sun. When in use it doesn't seem to be a problem, the issue is usually when the Nook and Timer are left lying out on a table just baking.

On a few occasions when we have had to, we've started up a car, turned up the A/C and held the offending piece of electronics up to the blast.

That has the ancillary effect of also cooling off the attending range officer.

To follow up on Matt's original question (also from OKC Gun Club), I see that there are a couple of new model Nooks advertised on Amazon -- has anyone tried them? Ours are the older glowlights.

In reading through all this input -- THANKS -- I guess I may have aggravated the problem. With each Nook, I also got a simple case, thinking it would protect them.... probably also holds the heat.

At Rio Salado in AZ, there are insulated lunch bags with an ice pack to keep the iPads in between squads. Honestly though, there usually isn't a break in the action and they chug along pretty well.

I've only started to work the scoring pads at Phoenix rod and gun club the last four weeks. Temps probably got close to 105 but I didnt experience any issues with the tablets we use. I'll be sure to find out what make and model we use this weekend.
The tablet I've been assigned to use was a 7" Samsung with some type of Otterbox case.

Our NST started wigging out on us today when it left out in the sun between stages. We were moving the canopy from one bay to the next and it was left out in the sun. A few minutes in the shade under the canopy was enough to get it back running properly.

I provide a tackle box for each squad which includes 2 cans of paint, timer & the NST. Keeps everything organized and hopefully a little better protected when not being used ...

Our NST started wigging out on us today when it left out in the sun between stages. We were moving the canopy from one bay to the next and it was left out in the sun. A few minutes in the shade under the canopy was enough to get it back running properly.

Especially if it happens to be left out face down (flat black surface facing up). Might as well put it in the oven for 2 hrs at 350!

We use Nooks and HD Fires - even in the high heat and humidity of East Tennessee not a problem as long as you keep them in the shade. Even 10 minutes left on a table in the direct sunlight can create problems. The protective armor case on an iPad also can cause problems.