Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Is this normal barrel hood wear?

Fordfan485

Was cleaning my M&P Pro 9 today and noticed some ugly looking wear on the front edge of the barrel hood and where it interfaces with on the slide. Had the gun for about a year, it currently has 1857 rounds through it. I have been using slide glide (regular) and heavy as my lube. I have been using the factory recoil spring and guide rod. Only modification is the apex competition action enhancement kit. Anyone else experience similar wear?

post-47582-0-09545000-1436042619_thumb.j

post-47582-0-87069200-1436042628_thumb.j

post-47582-0-02498800-1436042637_thumb.j

post-47582-0-24526700-1436042646_thumb.j

Good evening, Fordfan485,

Is it a recent development since the last cleaning? That would certainly be cause for concern. I'd suggest sending it back to S&W. It almost looks as if the barrel didn't unlock completely when it drops down during the recoil cycle. But, I'm far from an expert, so take that with a grain of salt.

I have a Shield that went back to S&W for a barrel that had a feed ramp cut at too steep an angle. I nearly had a case rupture with some Winchester Ranger ammo. They were very prompt and helpful in getting it fixed. I only mention this because they really treated me right in getting it fixed promptly.

If it's not too much trouble, would you keep us up to date on what you find? I'd be interested to see what happened to it. I have a 9 Pro, too, but only 100 rounds thru it and it hasn't done what yours has yet.

Thanks for sharing that...I hope it gets resolved to your satisfaction.

All my best, Rob

Yea, like they said above, just give S&W a call. They should take care of you. I've had 3 m&p's and non have them have looked likethat. The next match you go to, ask to look at someone else's gun. It should be smooth and not jagged like that. What generation

is that m&p?

Would like to hear what caused the rough edge at the front of the hood. The wear on top looks normal but the rough chunking at the leading edge does not.

Edited by sk330lc

Smith and Wesson responded to my trouble ticket today. Here is what they had to say:

Dear Customer,

This does look like normal wear.

Smith&Wesson values its customers and we are happy to have served you today. Please do not hesitate to contact us should you require further assistance.

Regards, Ashley

That's pretty ugly in the images. If S&W deems the problem warrantable you may end up with a new top end. If they think too much of the gun is toast they may replace it with a whole new gun.

S&W's policy for a new replacement gun is to send it to a FFL regardless of your state's laws on factory replacement of guns. If S&W is going to go the whole new gun route be sure to ask for your customer parts back quickly before the old gun is destroyed. S&W will enter a replacement gun as a factory order as ship it to your FFL when it's turn in the production list comes.

Smith and Wesson responded to my trouble ticket today. Here is what they had to say:

Dear Customer,

This does look like normal wear.

Smith&Wesson values its customers and we are happy to have served you today. Please do not hesitate to contact us should you require further assistance.

Regards, Ashley

Is that "yes" to normal wear? Surely that's a typo on their part.

Dear Customer,

This does look like normal wear.Smith&Wesson values its customers and we are happy to have served you today. Please do not hesitate to contact us should you require further assistance.

Regards, Ashley

Their answer is that it is normal wear. I sent them the same pictures as in the first post on this thread. Edited by Fordfan485

Dear Customer,

This does look like normal wear.Smith&Wesson values its customers and we are happy to have served you today. Please do not hesitate to contact us should you require further assistance.

Regards, Ashley

Their answer is that it is normal wear. I sent them the same pictures as in the first post on this thread.

Perhaps the Tech didn't see what you were trying to show. I'd suggest taking more pictures of both barrel and slide but tight on the problem area. I'd then suggest you try to go up the responsibility chain at S&W, maybe asking for a supervisor to review the images. What I am seeing certainly is not normal wear.

I've had several M&P and Glock barrels look like that and some worse. I'm shocked at how bad some of my Glock breach faces got, they look like an unmaintained logging road with big chunks missing. I think you should worry about accuracy and reliability. If you have problems in those areas they need to be addressed but the only thing that wear effects is how pretty your gun looks. Just my opinion I've been wrong before.

Thanks Ryan

• 2 weeks later...

Of the several M&Ps I've had none have ever looked like that. Although I will say I don't shoot competition so mine don't have the high round count and the hot loads some people run though theirs. I had one of the first gen M&P 9mm full size that I put 15000 or so rounds through and didn't have that problem. It was mostly that re-manufactured range brass as I didn't reload at the time. Hope this helps.

That is either a barrel or locking block issue. The leading edge of the barrel hood getting beat up is due to an unlocking timing issue. When the slide comes back during recoil the lugs on the bottom of the barrel are suppose to pull the barrel down and out of the way so the slide can cycle back as it clears the barrel hood.

Take the barrel out and inspect the lower locking lugs to see if there is any obvious damage. Also look at the locking block in the frame were the barrel lugs engage. If the locking block in the frame is cracked or damaged it would cause this same kind of issue.

You could simply have a "Built on Friday" gun that got put together with substandard parts. That type of damage in less than 2K rounds is pretty bad. There is a significant Unlocking timing issue causing the problem. If I were you, I would send the pistol into S&W to warranty replace the slide, barrel and locking block.

The pictures that you provided are not detailed enough and I can see how a Customer Service person would miss the damage you are trying to explain. Take some new pictures of the damage using something to point to the damage in question. Some times you have to point out the obvious like that for people to see it.

Edited by CHA-LEE

• 3 weeks later...