Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Trigger, low mass BCG and muzzle device for 11 y/o 3 gun rifle

rescue6

So I am building my 11 y/o son a new 3 gun rifle. So I think I have settled on an AR Gold trigger for it although that may wind up in my rifle and he may inherit a Giesslie, a timney, or a POF out of one of my guns. I have an LMOS buffer or a JP silent capture spring set up I can use in it already but I am needing to pick a lightweight Bolt carrier group. I am not sure I am sold on the aluminum ones yet unless you guys can recommend a good one. I need to find a good BCG for the gun and also a good muzzle device. I am running a lantern on my rifle and it is ok but he is going to need something that works a bit better. Any help is helpful thanks

A lantern? Unless your son is gunning to take down Daniel Horner I'd recommend just throwing the JP LMOS carrier in and never worrying about it again. The extra few dollars the JP will cost you over some of the newer low mass carriers is more than worth it when you spend your time shooting the gun, not playing QC guinea pig for the newer companies out there.

Edited by TonytheTiger

Just a suggestion- have your kid start out with a bone stock shelf AR and let him upgrade parts as his style/performance demands. It's not a matter of "deserving", I just think he might be ahead of the curve in a few years if he learns what the difference between milspec and "gofast" parts are by experience.

It's like having a junior kart racer work up the ranks from a Briggs and Stratton engine vs. handing him the keys to a Ferrari when he turns 16.

Edited by BitchinCamaro

I get what you are saying he has been shooting a pretty much stock Ar for the last year or more. So since I am gonna build him a competition gun I figure I should just spend the money once instead of buying one part now and then spending more money again to upgrade things later on parts like the trigger and BCG that last a long time. He won't be getting a super duper barrel, handguard or optic but I would rather do it right the first time given the option.

thanks for the link. That is a nice AR for the money. We have already started a build on an upper and lower I already had in the safe. Just need to pick out the BCG, barrel and hand guard and we are set.

Is the jp bolt that much better than a standard bolt? Is it worth using in the lmos carrier?

Yes, never thought how much the difference was until I installed one in a 16" carbine length gas rifle I built out of parts I had lying around. It started out with a non-adjustable gas block with a cheapie red dot. Just a fun rifle. I got the JP LMOS carrier with a adjustable gas key and a Taccom light buffer and spring. Runs so soft and flat I put my Vortex HD on it and shoot it in all matches now out to 500 yards. My 13 year grand daughter shot it the other day and absolutely loved it compared to a couple of other rifles we had out. The right combo can make a big difference.

gerritm

looking at either a 16.1" or 18" intermediate gas barrel and having a hard time deciding. I am leaning toward the 18" and just letting the little man use the current 16" I have on my other rifle and I will use the 18. is there really much difference noticed between a 16" and 18" for 3 gun distances. I know there is a difference between my 20" varmint cu and my 16" gun or my 10" for that matter but will I really see much of a difference in the 18 from the 16?

I have been playing with the Faxon gunner. It is super light and been holding about 1 moa. I am impressed. It is reasonably priced. I had an issue with my receiver being sloppy at first, but with help from Nathan and various people in this forum I got it resolved. It wasn't the barrels fault my upper was a little out of round. I think the 18" is around 1.5 #. I think any of the barrels you mentioned would be an excellent choice.

Edited by bmiller

CMC trigger, JP low mass carrier, non-fluted Stretch16 barrel. Carbine buffer and spring. Barrel, low mass carrier, trigger... Three most important parts of the puzzle. I'd go with a less concussive comp as well.

CMC trigger, JP low mass carrier, non-fluted Stretch16 barrel. Carbine buffer and spring. Barrel, low mass carrier, trigger... Three most important parts of the puzzle. I'd go with a less concussive comp as well.

Mark brings up a good point on the comp. For a young shooter, would the blast from a muzzle brake do more harm than the recoil from a non compensated rifle?

We already have an Aero receiver set, a JP LPK, a Timney or AR gold trigger as I ordered one of each and I am keeping one for my rifle, buffer tube, JP LMOS buffer, a Magpul grip, and a Bravo company Mod4 charging handle sitting on the bench for him already. Need to order a barrel, a muzzle device, an adjustable gas block, a light weight BCG, a plug for the forward assist, a stock of some sort, and a handguard, then pick a 1x optic.

My boys have DR comps on their ARs. Seekins is another that is less concussive.

I have a Seekins on the 16" one my grand daughter shot and it seems to keep the concussion away from her. She went with me to a 3-gun match Saturday to watch and I had her shoot a few of the stages partially with her pistol and my rifle to get her started. She shot 8 rifle targets with hard cover, head shots, and no shoots with no problems. All of the shots were A zone. No flinching.

The other LW rifle I built for her has a Faxon pencil barrel with a Taccom triangular comp on it and it directs more of the blast back towards the shooter. She does not like that one as well and I will probably change it. Try to find a .625 OD comp that will work.

gerritm

My boys have DR comps on their ARs. Seekins is another that is less concussive.

I have a Seekins on the 16" one my grand daughter shot and it seems to keep the concussion away from her. She went with me to a 3-gun match Saturday to watch and I had her shoot a few of the stages partially with her pistol and my rifle to get her started. She shot 8 rifle targets with hard cover, head shots, and no shoots with no problems. All of the shots were A zone. No flinching.

The other LW rifle I built for her has a Faxon pencil barrel with a Taccom triangular comp on it and it directs more of the blast back towards the shooter. She does not like that one as well and I will probably change it. Try to find a .625 OD comp that will work.

gerritm

We have found the JBillet comp to be very effective in this regard.