Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Do gen 3/4 Glock 40's or 9's still bulge brass?

RandyLahey

Wondering what your experiences are with newer Gen3 or 4 glocks are with bulging brass? I'm considering glock 35 and would probably buy the 9mm barrel as well for it. Since I reload though, I'm concerned with bulging brass.

My son's gen 4 35 does but I run the brass through a U-die as part of the reloading process and I'm good to go. If you run a KKM 40 to 9 conversion barrel you shouldn't see any bulging.

Using a Gen 4 Glock 27 I don't notice too much of a difference in cases through it or my HK USP 40, but I do run everything through a Redding G-Rx die to full length resize.

I will add that I bought 5K range brass the other day and after depriming and SS wet tumbling - inspection of the cases, there were a few Glock smiles in there!

Edited by cwall64

• 1 month later...

RandyLahey said he didn't want to get into push-thru sizing and some of you have successfully been able to get your resizing die to hit low enough to clear any Glock bulge. I'm using an LnL with Dillon dies and I have been completely unable to remove the bulges without doing the push-thru dance as a first step. How are you guys doing it without doing a push-thru before loading????

Lee dies generally size smaller than Dillon dies. If you use a "U" die it is slightly tighter. Also they will size closer to the shell plate, only problem there is the case needs to be well aligned to the die in the shell plate.

RandyLahey said he didn't want to get into push-thru sizing and some of you have successfully been able to get your resizing die to hit low enough to clear any Glock bulge. I'm using an LnL with Dillon dies and I have been completely unable to remove the bulges without doing the push-thru dance as a first step. How are you guys doing it without doing a push-thru before loading????

I load on a LnL with lee dies and they seem to get rid of the bulges in about 90% of the cases without push-thru. I just completely load, then I check for bulges and remove the remaining bulges from the loaded rounds. Sometimes it's just as fast to just run them all through the bulge buster as a last step. It probably only takes <5min to run 100 loaded rounds through, running just the brass through seems to be more of a pain.

LNL with Hornady dies and no problem getting glocked brass. When I feel more resistance, I slow down the lever action. I found if I keep a quick pace, sometimes there is still a little bulge.

I reload tons of glock range brass for my 2011 and just use a standard set of carbide Dillon dies. I have yet to have an issue and I have shot 10s of thousands of glock once fired pieces of brass through my 2011.

I just size them like normal and go. Never an issue.

Edited by cactusbrew

To determine if it is Glock brass look at the primer. A rectangular indent is Glock. Round is another manufacturer. Most Glock, XD, or other mass produced CCW/ duty guns will have a larger chamber that creates some level of a Smile.

My m&p has a really tight chamber. If there is any bulge it won't chamber. I've even had trouble with cast bullets since they're usually sized a little bigger and bulge the mouth. So I use a push through to guarantee I'm not going to have a ftf in a match.