Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What does a firing pin block do

IHAVEGAS

Probably 100 people are anxious to type something like "it blocks the firing pin :) ".

Anyway, what I mean is under what conditions could it theoretically prevent an unintentional discharge?

Was at a match a couple weeks back, one shooter tripped when crossing through a doorway at speed. The guy hit the ground hard enough for it to look scary even if there had not been a gun involved, and the gun ended up a couple feet in front of him with the muzzle pointed at his shoulder (and at the squad assuming a bullet could have some how got past his body). So this got me to wondering if a firing pin block might make things safer in this circumstance. Obviously I do not claim to understand the internals of the gun so if this is a dumb question, mea culpa.

Hammer can't strike the firing pin without the trigger being pulled back. So yes, in that case it would have been an additional layer of safety. Though any gun that is properly functioning should be safe in that scenario. Nothing to pull the trigger to drop the hammer if it is laying on the ground. Had it fallen on to the hammer could have fired (if in da hammer down and no firing pin block) or if in sa and fell to where something snagged the trigger.

Edited by andrewtac

In cases that folks modify sears and hammers to get the best possible trigger pull then a scenario where the pistol is dropped or even jostled can cause the pistol to fire without the trigger pulled.

In cases that folks modify sears and hammers to get the best possible trigger pull then a scenario where the pistol is dropped or even jostled can cause the pistol to fire without the trigger pulled.

Then they should fail safety check, however that doesn't occur at local matches. Even when checked they might pass, so you never know. Same can be said for other guns, on striker fired trying to get the trigger reset to short could make it unsafe as well. It is our responsibility as shooters to make sure we have a properly functioning pistol. Otherwise it is like drinking and driving, who knows when things will go bad.

Why don't we just use airsoft?

It's guns with real bullets, if you feel unsafe buy a chair, a styrofoam cooler and go to the beach.

This is why I don't read Doodie Project :) .

I'm not sure why trying to understand the pros and cons of a firing pin block, or feeling one way or another about what you learn, would be a bad thing.

It's guns with real bullets, if you feel unsafe buy a chair, a styrofoam cooler and go to the beach.

I'm not sure why trying to understand the pros and cons of a firing pin block, or feeling one way or another about what you learn, would be a bad thing.

Yeah, we need to keep him in a case marked "Break glass if your mother in law comes over".

Probably 100 people are anxious to type something like "it blocks the firing pin :) ".

Anyway, what I mean is under what conditions could it theoretically prevent an unintentional discharge?

Was at a match a couple weeks back, one shooter tripped when crossing through a doorway at speed. The guy hit the ground hard enough for it to look scary even if there had not been a gun involved, and the gun ended up a couple feet in front of him with the muzzle pointed at his shoulder (and at the squad assuming a bullet could have some how got past his body). So this got me to wondering if a firing pin block might make things safer in this circumstance. Obviously I do not claim to understand the internals of the gun so if this is a dumb question, mea culpa.

Pulling the trigger disables the firing pin block. Were someone to drop a firearm and the trigger not be pulled, the firing pin cannot reach the primer.

Does the USPSA need to mandate using a FPB? NO, they mandate not dropping a loaded firearm, which is a DQ.

I agree, no change to uspsa. The rule that safeties must function, covers it all and don't drop the firearm, don't flag, etc. There are more than enough rules. That being said, nothing wrong wanting to know how a firing pin block works. I use a compact now for carry with a fpb. Is it necessary for me to be safe? No, but when the pistol is in the vicinity of parts I'd rather keep makes me "feel" better.

It stops the firing pin from moving forward if the pistol were to be dropped directly on a down hammer which Could strike the pin and move it forward enough to cause ignition

Kinda like in the old west when they never loaded to 6 in a 6 shooter and left hammer down on an empty chamber

Even extended firing pins in CZs are not long enough to touch the hammer and primer at the same time, so I don't think that's possible...

Old SA revolvers had a firing pin on the hammer, which could impact the primer if dropped on the spur.

Even extended firing pins in CZs are not long enough to touch the hammer and primer at the same time, so I don't think that's possible...

Old SA revolvers had a firing pin on the hammer, which could impact the primer if dropped on the spur.

Good point I didn't think about that. There are numerous topics on here about light strikes with the hammer going from the cocked position. I am not sure how much force would be required to cause primer ignition with the hammer down. The hammer is already touching the pin at that point. I would think the gun would need to be secured as well, as any force on the hammer would also translate to the entire gun and the entire gun would react as one. Anyone have a spare gun to run some experiments on?

Angus in his famous 2012 shot show video mentioned they dropped a shadow multiply times from multiply heights and the pistol would not fire. If you use standard or aftermarket parts and do not start modifying the sear or hammer hooks there should be no chance a non firing pin block shadow is going to go off when it shouldn't.

I suggest if you don't understand it you either use the search function or google it, preferably both.

But keep your Doodie to yourself.

If you feel like it, Doodie what you need to Doodie.

Not trying to thread drift here, but can we assume that the shooter was DQ'd?

DQ'd and embarrassed and hurt. The poor guy got the trifecta.

Hopefully the hurt (knee) part was just a sprain or something.

What good is DQ if the gun went off and somebody got hit?

Better ban him for life so its one less chance to happen again?

Im getting nowhere... in this game

Fair point I think. In this case the DQ was just a formality. The guy could not have finished the day with his leg hurting and it ain't like anyone looks at the rule book and then decides whether or not to face flop and send his gun tumbling.

I was lucky enough to attend the single stack nationals this year and one of the R.O.'s told of Rob Leatham (spelling?) being dq'd from that match for dropping a gun, also I think there is a Jerry Miculec (SP ???) video where he says something like "I've been DQ'd 10 times and I'm not proud of any of them". Things happen.

I suggest if you don't understand it you either use the search function or google it, preferably both.

But keep your Doodie to yourself.

If you feel like it, Doodie what you need to Doodie.

Leave the attitude and trolling gear at the door. That is, unless you think you'll get your "monies worth" this time.