Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Spare Parts for Matches

shel6977

I am shooting production national this year and want to bring some extra parts with as a backup gun isn't in the budget. I shoot a 5" m&p pro 9mm. I've put about 7000-8000 rounds through it so far with the only thing done to it was a trigger job from Mike at accurate iron. I was thinking about getting a new striker assembly and the FRE extractor before nationals but was wondering what others carry with them other than replacement fiber rods. Brownells seems to have quite a bit for factory parts but I'm really wondering about springs. Would the apex spring kit work or can I buy springs and maybe a slide stop direct from s&w? I don't see any parts for sale on their site. Any advice would be great.

I shoot a Shadow but I have a complete compliment of springs for the gun ... they're cheap insurance. Also, at that round count I gotta believe there are at least some springs you should already be replacing or about to replace ....

M&P's can be kind of a pain to work on at a match. I also have a shadow and have spare springs and a slide stop, that kind of stuff, but if a spring other than your recoil spring goes on you mid match in an M&P I think I'd rather go to the range bag and grab a spare gun. Maybe try to find a used full size M&P somewhere, it'll have a little shorter barrel and slide but would more than likely fit your same holster and take the same magazines.

I was heading into a big match...week before my sear spring broke. Thank goodness I had a spare. Only spring I ever broke through 20k rounds or so.

I'd have a sear spring and trigger return spring minimum.

Not a bad idea to have a striker spring. After that, maybe a trigger bar... really not much else to break.

Edited by nwhpfan

Well I'm planning on putting a new striker assembly and Failure proof extractor and new extractor spring in before I go and keep the old ones as spares and replace the fiber rod & take some spare fiber. What should I be looking at replacing at my round count as a preventive maintenance?

Does the apex spring kit come with all the springs? Can it be used with factory trigger parts instead of the apex parts? Where can I get a factory trigger/trigger bar? It doesn't look like s&w lists these parts on their site for sale.

I think I have a guy I work with that has a stock xdm w/ 8 mags I will take just need to find a production legal holster for it. This bothers me a little bit because I've shot with several guys that shoot these and the stock barrels don't shot 147gr worth a shit so that might be my next problem since I shoot 147s.

Well I'm planning on putting a new striker assembly and Failure proof extractor and new extractor spring in before I go and keep the old ones as spares and replace the fiber rod & take some spare fiber. What should I be looking at replacing at my round count as a preventive maintenance?

Does the apex spring kit come with all the springs? Can it be used with factory trigger parts instead of the apex parts? Where can I get a factory trigger/trigger bar? It doesn't look like s&w lists these parts on their site for sale.

I think I have a guy I work with that has a stock xdm w/ 8 mags I will take just need to find a production legal holster for it. This bothers me a little bit because I've shot with several guys that shoot these and the stock barrels don't shot 147gr worth a shit so that might be my next problem since I shoot 147s.

My wife shoots an XDM 5.25 with 147's and they shoot pretty well. They are plated 147gr x-treme's at 137 PF.

Well I've got a 5.25" xdm with 7 magazines to take as a back-up. What trigger return spring is recommended? I can get a factory one, the one in the apex spring kit, and I've seen a few that recommend a glock trigger return spring. I see there's another post about the apex return spring and not getting the trigger to reset which has me a little worried about the apex kit.

After running an M&P for several years below is a list of the spare parts I would recommend you take.

1 replacement fiber optic rods and tools to install them

2 rear sight set screw

3 striker safety spring

4 locking block coil pin

5 trigger head pin

6 Take down lever

7 take down lever retaining wire

8 trigger return spring

9 trigger bar assembly

10 frame tool assembly

11 striker assembly

12 slide stop assembly

13 slide end cap

14 recoil guide rod assembly

15 ejector

16 extractor assembly (roll pin spring and extractor)

These are all the parts that I have broken, have seen other people break or are easily lost. Total cost should be somewhere around $50. You can take more ( and I do plus a spare gun) but those are the parts I feel you should take. Brownels and SSS are where I get most of my spares and they go back and forth on best prices. If you need any more advice please let me know and I'm shooting the production nationals so if you have big trouble come find me.

Thanks, Ryan

Speed Shooters Spec. has parts, not always all of them at the same time but you can collect all you need if you watch the sight for a few months. I like to replace the consumables early and throw the old ones in little bags to have on hand if I needed it to get me by. Recoil springs are one Im a fan of replacing early. And you can unscrew the factory guide rod and put whatever weight you desire in there. Not everybody realizes those come apart.

Speed Shooters Spec. has parts, not always all of them at the same time but you can collect all you need if you watch the sight for a few months. I like to replace the consumables early and throw the old ones in little bags to have on hand if I needed it to get me by. Recoil springs are one Im a fan of replacing early. And you can unscrew the factory guide rod and put whatever weight you desire in there. Not everybody realizes those come apart.

If you unscrew the end of the guide rod, what kind of springs can you use? If you change the spring do you put the nut back on and make it captured again?

If you unscrew the end of the guide rod, what kind of springs can you use? If you change the spring do you put the nut back on and make it captured again?

Replied in messenger already, but yes unscrew it put a your choice of spring weight in and put it back together to make a captured assembly again. I used the flat wire springs, I think they were Iso springs from SSS, (if not it was from Brownells.) Its worked for me.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

Flat wire ISMI springs fit the factory rod well enough to work - I now use springs meant for the M&P but when it first came out? I used one intended for my Glock 34. (I've been shooting M&P since the time when there was no PRO model and I shoot one of the early 9L's) I actually just left the screw out of the end of the rod to make them easier to swap and the gun easier to clean. As long as you take it apart knowing it'll jump free if you don't hang on, it's quite easy to do on a muddy range on top of a barrel or the like.